SlotForum banner
41 - 60 of 358 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Plain pack sets, and straights and R1 and R2 curves are available so far. Other track sections are still to come.
The Subaru Drift set is due late this year

·
Greg Gaub
14,985 Posts
I've seen some of the track in person. I can't think of any way to improve on it. It will be nice when all the planned options are available.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
This is my small track on a couple of portable tables.

policar222.jpg

I have created a 20 metre single lane RAID track on the same tables

The Policar test track has a running length of about 10 metres, with a longest straight of 2.5 metres,

portable18.jpg

And yes, that is part of a RAID/Rally track in the middle and underneath the table.
Once I finalised the elevations fixed down the Policar track, I wove the RAID track in amongst the road track.

All this on a footprint of 4 x 1.2 metres, that stacks to 2 x 1.2 and slides out of sight under my routed track when not in use.
portable22.jpg

portable19.jpg

portable20.jpg

The grip is nice with glued and trued N22. Less than our routed wood tracks, but similar I gather to some routed tracks, and very predicable for a bit of

slide with my de-powered Group C cars running Hawk Jack Rabbit 14K motors.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I like the idea of a raid circuit on the same layout as the big track, might do something similar myself as it's easier than scenery.

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Have we had any updated info on the Policar Digital system planned for 2019?

- Compatibility with other digital systems?
- Types of Lane changers CLC, XLC, length of LC track pieces?
- Power Base reliant or PC dongle or both?
- Open Source firmware for RMS development?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here's a PDF with actual dimensions for anyone wanting the exact size data.]

And a snapshot
trackspecifications.jpg

And a 4 lane system comparison with some other track systems. I have offset Carrera one radius, to show a more even comparison between brands, as Carrera R1 is pretty close to everyone else's R2
TrackSystemDiameters.jpg

I have written the basic track design definition files for "Ultimate Racer" [ http://www.uracerweb.org/ ] for this track system, and Pierrick will include them in UR40 when it is released.
They cover circuits of up to 10 lanes, as there will in time be an R5 radius curve.
There is still a bit of a bug in the border settings, I'll kick that around with Pierrick when I get a chance.
If anyone wants to get into designing circuits with Policar track, message me your details and I will send you the three files which can just be cut and pasted into the Library directory of UR30 along with a Policar logo.

I haven't been given any news regarding an adapter to Carrera, only the Ninco adapter in 2019, and the Polistil/Fleischman adapter

·
Registered
47 Posts
Some of us ******** here in the USA like to have banked tracks set up in some of our layout variants to replicate stock car racing (which why I have a lot of Carrera, and have the scars to prove it), so does Policar plan to make banked curves, and if so what radii, or alternatively triangular snap-on underside ramps, and if so what radii and intended banking angle (I would be surprised of the latter since I understand it is a pretty rigid track, like Carrera)?

I would also like to know if they will release a conventional analog simple crossover track piece (without digital lane switching)

I also wonder if anyone knows when they might release single-lane tracks for their digital variant (its not that I run digital, but I use the Carrera digital single straights in concert with their analog crossovers next to them to allow middle lanes to cross over (four, six or eight-lane setups), which allows cars to run all the the radii and different straight lengths, like a "poor-man's" digital setup. It looks like the Policar tab arrangement is similar to Carrera's and would let me shift track sections over one single lane to add a single digital straight alongside them and let the middle lanes cross over, if they make a conventional crossover section).

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
I've found that I can produce a low angled banked track using one or two of the bridge support sections under the outer edges of my Policar circuit. I doubt if it would work with much higher bank angles as the inner edges would rise off the surface, but it does help a bit.

·
Rich Dumas
3,600 Posts
For slot cars only a modest banking angle is needed as compared to what is seen on 1:1 tracks. For slot cars 15° is about all you might need, with much more of an angle the cars would actually get slowed down, so a steep angle would be more for show. The relatively tight radius combined with a steep angle that is seen with sectional plastic track often leads to clearance problems.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks guys - I know many tend to go for shallow banking (BTW - I could never find out from Carrera what their "natural" banking angle was, but when I put an entire 360 degree circle together, or support the straights as well (which reduces the turn banking), it comes out to around 30 degrees, which is moderate by American track standards; I leave out the R1s due to dragging, and just use R2/R3/R4s for my layouts). What I am really interested in, as I asked previously, is if Policar has or will offer a conventional analog crossover section, and later single digital straight so I can do my "poor man's digital simulator" layout with allowing automatic lane and turn radius changes, like with my Carrera, for other club members seeking a more compact and cheaper track option.

·
Registered
11 Posts
All ready to go with Policar track system but....

A temporary layout has to fit on table dims 3.45m x 1.2m ish. When my son moves out next year this can extend to 4.5m x same depth with a small L section at one end. I want to fit as long a lap length into the space with some challenging bends and the tight radius of Policar R1 curve suits the constraints of shallow depth for this layout. Bear in mind that the track table will butt against the long wall running down the room so much deeper than 1.2 too 1.3m becomes a bit of a stretch anyway.

OK so far but I am tempted by all the facilities opened up by digital racing. Imm going to be spending most of my time up there on my own, building on from the initial set up, buying, modifying new cars, and probably doing a few car scratch builds. So Lane changing, pace cars, accurate lap and race timing seem too me to add to the interest and fun.

So my thoughts turned to Carrera Digital 132 which seems to have a pretty comprehensive product range of accessories. And I assume I can also chip cars from other manufacturers without too many issues. Problem is the lack of a tight radius curve which I think severely compromises shallow layout possibilities. Haven't spotted anything yet suggesting Policar will be making a Carrera track adapter available so what to do??

I'd be interested to hear any opinions regarding way forward. Am I missing anything here or do I just ignore the fact that the Policar track may be the better track option and take the established Carrera system plunge. Cheers guys.

41 - 60 of 358 Posts