SlotForum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just bought a starter set of new Policar track. The track is really good. I want to use my DS controllers with it, but they are wired for Scalextric Sport and do not work with the Policar Analogue Powerbase even though the 3.5mm jack plug is the same.
Does anybody have a wiring diagram for Policar and for Scalextric Sport so I can see how to fix this? Would it be better to rewire the Policar Analogue Powerbase or to make adaptors for the Powerbase sockets? I want the controllers to still work with Scalextric for now.

Another question: any ideas when the short straight sections listed for Policar will be available in U.K.?

thanks, Mike

·
Greg Gaub
14,801 Posts
I would make an adapter using a female and male version of the plugs so that you can connect the wires to the expected positions between the two. Then your controllers would still work on Scalextric, and the adapters would make them work on the Policar.

You'll need the wiring diagram for both Scalextric and Policar, though.

Here's one for Scalextric:
ScalextricNincoPinOuts.gif

I was not able to find Policar immediately.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, MrFlippant.

As far as I can tell using a multimeter, the Policar connnector is like Scalextric except that the Power and Brake connections are reversed, with potentially disastrous results if you plug a Scalextric controller into a Policar track adaptor! I really can't see why Policar would do this.

I thought about making male-female jack plugs as you suggest, but I had a spare Scalextric Sport adaptor so I grafted that onto the Policar track instead. This has the extra advantage that I can use my twin Scalextric 16v power supplies which have UK mains plugs, rather than the Policar single power supply which has an Italian-style 2-pin moulded plug.

Everything works really well now. My DS controllers work much better than the Policar ones with the cars I have and the track is much smoother, wider and grippier than the Scalextric Sport track.

Now all I need are some Policar short straights......

Mike

Attachments

·
Greg Gaub
14,801 Posts
Nice solution! I probably would suggested that if I knew you had a spare one. :)

I wish I knew when the other track pieces were coming out. I'm sure there are lots of people out there wanting to make complex layouts using their great track.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
This might be useful for folk

PolicarTrackControllerWiring.jpg

Mr Flippant. - The R3 and R4 track pieces, and inner and outer borders are available from Slot.it, as are the border ends.

It is only the digital pieces (which I am sure is what you want), which are not yet available

42RedCat - the 61mm (2 3/8th) straights are also available

I guess it just comes down to when each national distributor ships into their stock.

·
Vendor
2,926 Posts
Thanks!

All the parts that were planned for 2019 are available: R1 45°, R2 45°, R3 22°.5, R4 22°.5 - 359mm straight, 1/2 straight (179mm), 61.4mm straight

All borders are available as well.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Thanks!
All the parts that were planned for 2019 are available: R1 45°, R2 45°, R3 22°.5, R4 22°.5 - 359mm straight, 1/2 straight (179mm), 61.4mm straight
All borders are available as well.
Is there any plans for half turns, like 1/2 of r1.

Is there a USA distributor yet? I found 1 store in the US that has the starter set but no spare track pieces. I designed a decent layout that requires a couple of extra track pieces but I can't find them

Thank you

·
Autoavia
974 Posts
I usually race on wood tracks but raced on the Policar track at last years Policar GP at Gaydon and was surprised at the good the grip. Never tried Scalex Sport track but have run before on Ninco and Scalex Classic and thought Policar was better than both.

·
Registered
361 Posts
i tried to use my scalextric/ninco professor motor controller. when i put the car on the track it did full throttle without touching the controller. i tried to flip the red and white wires. however, i put it on the track and the same thing happened. this only leaves the black wire that could be moved. i basically have a 50/50 shot at getting it right. can anyone tell me which side is right. to move the black to the red slot or black to white

·
Registered
361 Posts
I tried to use my scalextric/ninco professor motor controller. when I put the car on the track it did full throttle without touching the controller. I tried to flip the red and white wires. however, I put it on the track and the same thing happened. this only leaves the black wire that could be moved. I basically have a 50/50 shot at getting it right. can anyone tell me which side is right. to move the black to the red slot or black to white
i was able to get it to work. it took every combination, and literally the last possible choice seemed to work good. however, the brakes are horrible with the professor motor. i also found that the my black controller has way tighter brakes than my red controller. my one controller, the car will come to a dead stop when i let off the brakes, the other will continue to roll for a while. its odd.

im not sure if i am going to use the professor motor after all that because the brakes are too weak. if i punch it at the start of the straight and immediately let off, it rolls into the turn at the end of the straight. even when turning the knob, it doesnt seem to change much. maybe i messed up the controller

·
Greg Gaub
14,801 Posts
im not sure if I am going to use the professor motor after all that because the brakes are too weak. if I punch it at the start of the straight and immediately let off, it rolls into the turn at the end of the straight. even when turning the knob, it doesnt seem to change much. maybe I messed up the controller
You probably burnt out the brake pod. This happens all the time when guys in our club hook up wrong because they haven't switched away from alligator clips and didn't pay close enough attention to matching colors when they hooked up. By trying all those combinations, one of them was the one that burnt out your brake pod. Only solution is to replace it. They sell replacement kits, and it's not hard to do. I've done a few of them for the club guys... usually along with adding the XLR plug so that it doesn't happen again. ;-)

·
Registered
361 Posts
You probably burnt out the brake pod. This happens all the time when guys in our club hook up wrong because they haven't switched away from alligator clips and didn't pay close enough attention to matching colors when they hooked up. By trying all those combinations, one of them was the one that burnt out your brake pod. Only solution is to replace it. They sell replacement kits, and it's not hard to do. I've done a few of them for the club guys... usually along with adding the XLR plug so that it doesn't happen again. ;-)
Is this the part
https://www.professormotor.com/product-p/pmtr2042.htm

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Rekim - I can reply for Mr Flippant. Yes that's the part.

And what he said was exactly what I was going to say as well. I have seen one or two burned out from wrong hookup by guys, and had to replace them.

·
Registered
361 Posts

And what he said was exactly what I was going to say as well. I have seen one or two burned out from wrong hookup by guys, and had to replace them.
thank you. i ordered it. hopefully it will be all squared away after this

·
Registered
361 Posts
Here's a picture of my track. I'm very happy with the results. I didnt count correctly for the borders, but I'm very happy with the results. I found that for carrera cars they run great with the full 13.5v but scalextric run best on 9v for my small track. Scalextric is much faster

Attachments

·
Registered
361 Posts

the part came in and i soldered it, and i still dont have adjustable brakes. i suspect i messed up something else. i have a new controller on order, without the adjustable brakes. its got to be better than no brakes that i have right now

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks, MrFlippant.

As far as I can tell using a multimeter, the Policar connnector is like Scalextric except that the Power and Brake connections are reversed, with potentially disastrous results if you plug a Scalextric controller into a Policar track adaptor! I really can't see why Policar would do this.

I thought about making male-female jack plugs as you suggest, but I had a spare Scalextric Sport adaptor so I grafted that onto the Policar track instead. This has the extra advantage that I can use my twin Scalextric 16v power supplies which have UK mains plugs, rather than the Policar single power supply which has an Italian-style 2-pin moulded plug.

Everything works really well now. My DS controllers work much better than the Policar ones with the cars I have and the track is much smoother, wider and grippier than the Scalextric Sport track.

Now all I need are some Policar short straights......

Mike
I saw yours and am going to do the same.

I have a couple scalex sets and can afford to lose a base.

I really like my PM controllers.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Hey guys,

I nicked the Scalextric diagram Mr Flippant put up a while back, and made a Policar copy, then incorporated all that into a single document to help people get to grips with wiring other controllers for use on a Policar power base.
It is on another thread, but copying here, as we may get different folk viewing.

Note that the Policar base in positive polarity - like club tracks, - so I suggest only wiring up positive polarity electronic controllers to it, using the colour codes in the lower part of the doc.
[For the Slot./it contorller, + voltage wire is yellow not white of course.]

The DS controllers being resistor, don't care, so long as you make sure the tip and base pins get reversed to the Scalextric convention. The 25 and 35 ohm ones in particular will go nice on Policar for non mag racing.

If you have standard DS controllers already wired with 3.5mm plugs, and only intend using them on Policar track, and are confident with a soldering iron, you could just open them up and reverse the two wires inside the controller

- But I suggest attaching a label that say "rewired for policar track"- it's so easy to forget when you loan someone something 5 years from now.

policarcontrollerwiring.jpg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts