SlotForum banner
101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Andi - Thank you so much for posting the results of this fun event, these Policar RTR cars ran beautifully on the new Policar track. I'm already looking forward to next years grand prix and all the new event signage inside and outside the room....

David

·
Vendor
2,940 Posts
On behalf of our company, I would like to send our congratulations and say thank you to every participant and organizer.

Andi had the idea to race on Policar track, and we gladly sent the track, that is staying in the UK for next year.

Pendle Slot Racing provided the timer / lap counting system.

You may have noticed from the odd shape that we didn't send exactly the pieces that Andi had asked for, but nevertheless it worked. When we discovered that, we were not exactly relaxed
smile.png
. You may also have noticed that R3 and R4 had rails that were somehow irregular: they were hand made prototypes whose rails were either R2 (for R3) or straight (for R4) parts, bent and chamfered by hand.

The whole track was running with no booster cable.

Another obvious omission on our part were the guard rails. Another lesson learnt for next year - same goes for some event signage!

See you next year and thank you all again!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just wanted to add my thanks to Andi for a great event.

Never thought when I entered that I would end up winining the Concours Trophy, I hope this also inspires similar newbies to have a go next year.

I am kinda hoping that I will be able to add to my 1st slot racing Trophy in time, but for now this first one will be proudly displayed.

Many thanks to everyone who offered their congratulations to me, and look forward to meeting them again at other events during the year.

Regards,
Graham

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Maurizio beat me to it but I wanted to thank all the sponsors:

Maurizio, for the track, the hand out tyres on the Sunday and the RTR prize of the Lucky Strike Lotus 72 and third place March 701 white kit.

Pendleslot did provide all the power and control system. Without them nothing would have been possible.

I contributed the second place Match 701 Colin Crabb racing car.

On the Saturday the scratch build prizes were kits.

The concourse winner was given a lovely PreWing kit from Mel Ault. Mel makes some awesome kits from the 1960s and 1970s with a lot of attention to detail, fine finish and all the decals etc. that are needed to make smart models. His kits are often designed to be built using the Policar pod.

Two of the three class winners were given resin kits from Simon, DNQ of this forum. His simple kits allow the production of many otherwise unavailable models from the mid 1970s. I had several builds on show during the weekend so people could see what was possible with those kits.

The final prize was a BSB kit from my own collection.

Thanks to everyone.

Best wishes
Andi

·
Registered
977 Posts
Hi !

I was not able to go to Gaydon this year, a pity.

About the CSCRA cars, can anyone inform who makes the Hesketh 308 and McLaren m23 # 11 bodies ?

·
Registered
977 Posts
Thank you, Andy, thank you, Alan, for the information !

So, a 62 grams car was too heavy ! Maybe you can try to substitute some of the body parts by balsa wood pieces.

And take some weight from the inside part of the body.

Congratulations for the McLaren, you did a nice car !

Is it a good idea to have a minimum weight for the CSCRA cars, considering the need to make them more or less the same ?

Some questions : how did the CSCRA cars go, comparing to the Policar RTRs ? Faster ? Slower ?

And how fast was the Nonno car compared to a Policar ?

·
Alan Wilkinson
1,091 Posts
Is it a good idea to have a minimum weight for the CSCRA cars, considering the need to make them more or less the same ?
Some questions : how did the CSCRA cars go, comparing to the Policar RTRs ? Faster ? Slower ?
Andre,
CSCRA and "weight":
The rules do not state weights or motor restrictions.
CSCRA rules seem to be aimed at racing realistically scaled models, maintaining class differences by maximum car widths and tyre widths. Stripping weight out of a slot car does not seem to be certain way to improve performance.
I'm a keen believer in not getting mired in discussions over rules. I just read them and figure out how best build a car that complies and will work.

The results tables are posted by Andi above. It seems we did different race durations the two days so it's not easy to tell which were faster. The Saturday cars should be because of the unrestricted motors etc, but that is not necessarily so.
Alan

·
Matt Tucker
3,550 Posts
In terms of performance my CSCRA Scaly McLaren m23 was faster than my policar lotus. Same motor and gearing just different tyres. Used NSR ultragips on the back of my CSCRA car and once clean you basically braked as late and you dare and nail it. Policar required a little (not a lot) more finesse and throttle control as grip with the f22 was not quite the same. Best lap with CSCRA cars were 7.0 and with policar 7.3

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
Hmmm I think your memory fails you Matt.

I recall many a lap in the low 6s category.

On Saturday we had 4 x 4 minute heats = 16 mins x 60s = 960 seconds / 142.8 laps = 6.72s AVERAGE across heats, across all lanes including any offs!

On Sunday we had 4 x 3 minute heats = 12 mins x 60s = 720 seconds / 104.69 laps =
6.88s on the same average basis as above!

So in the case of Matt his Scratch was indeed quicker than his RTR but significantly quicker than his reported times and only by ever such a small margin despite the Ultragrip tyres!

You can all do a range of the same calculations using the data provided above.

Kind regards
Andi

·
Registered
339 Posts
Wonderful cars --wonderful event -- great sponsors!!

I noticed a box with a picture of a Shadow F-1 car --is that commercially available???

Thanks!

Steve

·
Registered
977 Posts
Hi Andy,

Only now I noticed what seems to be a Shadow dn3 (1974 car) in the photos on post #88.

Is it really a dn3 ?

Can you tell us some details, as body maker, decals etc ?

Do you have other photos from it ?

Thank you !

101 - 117 of 117 Posts