SlotForum banner

Policar UK GP Gaydon 2019

22K views 116 replies 33 participants last post by  conti_rowland 
#1 ·
I have enormous pleasure in inviting entries for the 2nd running of the Policar Grand Prix UK, to be run at the UKSF, in May 2019. Exact date TBC.

venue address:

British Motor Museum
Banbury Road
Gaydon
Warwickshire
CV35 0BJ

For those interested in real cars the entry fee to the slot car event is effectively a museum ticket so leave time over the weekend to see the real cars downstairs.

This event will be sponsored by POLICAR and follows the extremely fun and successful race last year.

This event will be run as a single driver GP for RTR cars on the Sunday AND a single driver GP for scratchbuilt / kit bash / conversions / cottage industry manufacturers with a Policar gearbox/motor pod on the Saturday. I will call this second race CSCRA as it will be raced under those regulations.

Drivers are encouraged to enter both events (with different cars of course).

This is my entry :)

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Toy

RTR race rules have been slightly updated so please read them all carefully, don't assume they are exactly as last year.

Sunday RTR race:
Model Specifications:
Any RTR Policar (modern, excludes vintage Policar) F1 car in production.

Liveries:
All standard liveries accepted. By the time of the race the released cars should be:
Lotus 72C Gold Leaf Jochen Rindt Hockenheim 1970
Lotus 72C Bob Walker Graham Hill Oulton Park 1971
Lotus 72D JPS Emerson Fittipaldi Monaco 1972
Lotus 72D Lucky Strike Dave Charlton Brands Hatch 1972
March 701 STP Chris Amon Belgium 1970
March 701 Tyrrell Jackie Stewart Jarama 1970
March 701 Colin Crabb Racing Ronnie Peterson Monaco 1970

All custom liveries accepted provided they represent a real car in a real race. Evidence may be requested of particularly obscure liveries.

Cars must pass scrutineering and enter Parc Ferme with all original body parts attached. It is accepted that some vulnerable parts may drop off during practice and racing. Main wings should all be in place at the start of racing. I.e. If you lose a wing, glue it on for the racing!

Wheels and Tyres;
Front wheels and tyres must be those that the model came with / exact replacements.
Rear wheels can be the plastic originals or the standard Policar replacement part PWH1234-AL . (See rear track note below).
Rear tyres will be hand out at the race F22 compound slicks. Entry price includes one set of rear tyres. Further sets can be purchased on the day if required.
No gooping or other tyre treatments will be permitted. Cleaning permitted using tape only, no liquids permitted.

Wheel inserts
All cars must have correct front and rear wheel inserts in plastic, resin, metal or wood. No paper or cardboard!

Modifications:
No modifications are allowed to the RTR except:

Addition of weight:
- at the front INSIDE the body ONLY
- at the rear may be placed outside the body provided it cannot be seen from above (without rear wing in place)
Further notes on weight.
I don't want to see it, is the concept of the rule. So in the front it has to be inside. To help I would say the front extends to the back of the body, where the side pods end / the line of the radiators. So the front encompasses most of the middle too. At the rear one simply can't put weight inside so I am allowing it outside but it must be under the motor pod so as not to be seen from above if you remove the rear wing. Of course we won't be removing the rear wing to check but common sense should prevail here so that if you flip the car over any visible weight should not protrude outside the silhouette of the motor pod.

There is no maximum weight.

Putting the weight outside at the rear could cause issues with ground clearance. I have not specified the clearnace since with hand out tyres on standard diameter wheels the clearance should not be an issue. If the car scrapes it is unilkely to help good handling.

Wheelbase
May not be modified in any way.

Track (measured centre line to centre line of wheel)
Front as standard RTR
Rear max 50mm
Please note that the track on the RTR car as sold may vary and should be adjusted to ensure it complies with the dimension above.

Gluing / Float
Parts may be glued and clearance for float may be achieved provided the other rules are adhered to.
Any loose screws must be glued or taped in

Guides.
Revert to the rule about standard configuration. NO deep wood guides are not allowed. The reason is simply to ensure a level playing field and people to really use an RTR without being too far off the pace.

Braid and motor wire (but not motor) are free choice. The resistor may be removed.

Front tyres.
Someone mentioned glazing the front tyres. The rules clearly state the original tyres must be used up front and that no additives can be applied. The original tyres means in their original state with clear grip tread showing and NO GLAZE. I think glazing front tyres completely spoils the aesthetic of these open wheel cars don't you! Apologies to the dyed in the wool CSCRA racers used to this little trick!

Further on rules etc. several people have approached me asking about certain modifications:

These are my principles:

1. Front Wings
People are rightly pointing out that these can suffer:
Strengthening underneath is allowed. The 2018 thread with the same title as this one has a photo of an example that is allowed.

2. Bodywork mods for different liveries.
In the rules I welcomed different liveries. People have pointed out these sometimes mean different bodywork.
I will allow these modifications provided they are real attempts to copy an original car and not just hacking things up for advantage.
I suggest anyone doing this should PM me if they wish to keep it private or post it here so everyone can see it ahead of the day.

Saturday CSCRA race with Policar Gearbox:

Please refer to CSCRA.co.uk website for general rules if preparing cars for this race.

This is for cars from 1970 to 1979 covering therefore CSCRA classes GP5, GP6 & GP7.

Note that all ground effect cars will run in GP7.

Wood guides are not viable for the Policar track.

Nonnoslot, www.f1-slot-cars.cz (Lukas Scupak) and other hand built small industry providers' cars are allowed. They must however comply with the rest of the CSCRA rules which may require car modification.

Policar RTR cars WILL NOT be accepted in the Saturday racing.

Modern Scalextric / Fly / SRC bodies will be allowed either with aftermarket or scratch built chassis (ARCO Shapeways route).

Full scratchbuilt cars with Policar gearboxes are encouraged and the amount/quality of scratchbuilding will be fundamental in judging concourse.

Separate awards will be given in each class (provided there are enough entries-we will know before the event!).

Opening Times.
Saturday 19th May UKSF opens at 11:00am and closes at 17.30pm.
Last year Saturday was somewhat chaotic. We aim to improve on that.

CSCRA only practice 11:00-12:30

CSCRA scrutineering 12:00-12:30 (maximum 16 entries, 3 minute heats)
CSCRA concourse 12:00-12:30
GP5 Heats 12:30-13:15
GP6 Heats 13:15-14:00
GP7 Heats 14:00-14:45
(Times are approximate depending on entry numbers and dispersion across the classes).
Step up finals 15:00-15:45

CSCRA Prize giving 15:45
RTR Practice 16:00-17:30

Sunday 20th May (heats and ladder final) UKSF opens at 10am and closes at 16:30pm.
Practice 10:00-12:00
Scrutineering and set up 11:30-12:00
Heats 12:00-14:30 (30x4/4 x 3 mins = 90 mins actual racing, 2 minute change overs = 30x5 =150 mins)
Ladder Final 14:30-15:30 (30/4 x 4 mins = 30 mins racing, 2 minutes change overs = 45mins plus 25% for drivers step up = 60 mins
Prize Giving 15:30

Scrutineering
All models will be inspected for compliance with the regulations.

Race Format
Heats (3 mins) and set laps ladder finals. Finalised, once number of entries are known.
Track Voltage 12 volts.
Track will be segmental plastic POLICAR new track. Track format to be published once Maurizio and I have designed it!

Marshalling
During the day the entrants will be expected to marshall the two heats / finals following their own heat / final in order to make a fair contribution by everyone. Waiting for marshals is one of the most time consuming things on race day so please help by adhering to this principle.

Trophies and Prizes;
1st 2nd 3rd in Racing on both days.
Saturday in each class (provided sufficient entries). To be agreed prior to race day.

Prizes from the Event sponsor Policar, many thanks to Maurizio.
Trophies provided from the entry fees.

Entry Details:
Entry fee. This is set at £7.50 for one day £10 for both (that's called encouragement). Each entrant will also need to gain entry to the UKSF event by payment to the museum. The idea is that there should be time to enjoy the show whilst doing some racing!

One entry per person per day.

Entry must be registered on this thread and the fee must be paid by JANUARY 31st 2019. Until payment is received your entry will be provisional only and not confirmed.

In order to organise the CSCRA classes entrants for the Saturday please state which class you wish to run in. (Minor changes will be allowed later....try to be sensible).

If there are spaces left on the day entries 'may' be accepted. Entry on the day is set at £10.

The intention is to run a successful and professional race and therefore we need to have close to guaranteed numbers so please take the pre-registry route where possible.

Payment by cheque, or paypal. Cheques payable to "Andrew Rowland", paypal to andiRowland@outlook.com.

Send cheques to;
Andrew Rowland, 7 Manor Park, Richmond, Surrey, TW9 1XZ, UK.

If 16(CSCRA) & 30(RTR) paid entries are received, entry will then be closed, but we will start a reserve list.
I will publish a list of paid entries received to date, once I have double checked my notes.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Kind Regards,
Andi Rowland

Attachments

See less See more
#56 ·
Hi Andy.
An entry for both days please. I'll be bringing my caravan down for the weekend, so if you need any help setting up Friday night let me know.
Jeff
Hi Jeff, have tried to PM you but your message box must be full. I'd like to accept your offer of help if you could make contact that would be great, thanks, Andi

#57 ·
2019 final entry list

Rtr
1. Matt Tucker PAID
2. James Noake PAID
3. Andy Player PAID
4. Paul Wooding PAID
5. Alan Wilkinson PAID
6. Martyn John PAID
7. Peter Hartmann PAID
8. Roy Knowles PAID
9. Toby Knowles PAID
10. Matthew Knowles PAID
11. David Farrow PAID 10
12. John Underwood PAID
13. Wayne Goble PAID
14. Phil Giddings PAID
15. Mick Kerr PAID
16. Rob Kerr PAID
17. Mark Long PAID
18. Chris Aston PAID
19. Graham Edwards PAID
20. David Mitcham PAID
21. Andrew Rowland PAID
22. Dave Maddock PAID
23. Pete Crane PAID
24. Dave Wisdom PAID
25. David Lawson PAID
26. Tony Avis PAID
27. Chris Pomeroy PAID
28. Jeff Norton PAID
29. Leon Gibbons PAID
30. Eddie Rowland PAID

CSCRA
1. Matt Tucker PAID
2. Andy Player PAID
3. Paul Wooding PAID
4. Alan Wilkinson PAID
5. Peter Hartmann PAID
6. John Underwood PAID
7. Phil Giddings PAID
8. Graham Edwards PAID
9. David Mitcham PAID
10. Pete Crane PAID
11. Jeff Norton PAID
12. Wayne Goble PAID
13. Andi Rowland PAID GP6

Can everyone let me know what they will be entering for the CSCRA event on Saturday, i.e. Whether GP5, GP6 or GP7 so that I can organise the racing and trophies. If you have options and won't know until you run them feel free to list them for now.
Thanks.
Andi

#63 ·
2019 final entry list

Rtr
1. Matt Tucker PAID
2. James Noake PAID
3. Andy Player PAID
4. Paul Wooding PAID
5. Alan Wilkinson PAID
6. Martyn John PAID
7. Peter Hartmann PAID
8. Roy Knowles PAID
9. Toby Knowles PAID
10. Matthew Knowles PAID
11. David Farrow PAID 10
12. John Underwood PAID
13. Wayne Goble PAID
14. Phil Giddings PAID
15. Mick Kerr PAID
16. Rob Kerr PAID
17. Mark Long PAID
18. Chris Aston PAID
19. Graham Edwards PAID
20. David Mitcham PAID
21. Andrew Rowland PAID
22. Dave Maddock PAID
23. Pete Crane PAID
24. Dave Wisdom PAID
25. David Lawson PAID
26. Tony Avis PAID
27. Chris Pomeroy PAID
28. Jeff Norton PAID
29. Leon Gibbons PAID
30. Eddie Rowland PAID

CSCRA
1. Matt Tucker PAID
2. Andy Player PAID
3. Paul Wooding PAID
4. Alan Wilkinson PAID
5. Peter Hartmann PAID
6. John Underwood PAID
7. Phil Giddings PAID
8. Graham Edwards PAID
9. David Mitcham PAID
10. Pete Crane PAID
11. Jeff Norton PAID
12. Wayne Goble PAID
13. Andi Rowland PAID GP6

Can everyone let me know what they will be entering for the CSCRA event on Saturday, I.e. Whether GP5, GP6 or GP7 so that I can organise the racing and trophies. If you have options and won't know until you run them feel free to list them for now.
Thanks.
Andi
Peter Hartmann running GP5 McLaren M7C or McLaren M 23 (GP6?)

Cheers Peter

#67 ·
Hi Andi,

I have a Lotus 78 (GP 7) and a 67 Ferrari GP car (GP 5) and was hoping to see which went best on the track on the day - is it possible to give us the slot depth on the new track - just so that we won't have to faf around trimming guides to fit the track - I can see your post saying that 'deep wood' guides will not work - am i right to assume that a 'standard' Slot - it guide will be just right ?

Cheers

Pete Crane

#74 ·
Hi David, yes, post number 1 states: RTR Practice 16:00-17:30

If we finish earlier then you may of course practice earlier. Come by and we'll see what we can do.

I am conscious that there will be lack of practice but at least the track, being entirely new, will be a level playing field for everyone!

That said clearly those racing both days will have a large advantage going into Sunday ;)

Kind regards
Andi

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.