SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've now decided to stretch my modelling skills by doing a full scratchbuild of a typical British Hot Rod, based on the commonly used 'sit up and beg' Ford Popular 103E.

Progress so far -

I'm aiming for something like this in the end -

More images and a detailed build log here

Cheers !

·
Martin De Ath
1,440 Posts
Hi there Britfix...

Great looking Pop shell, it will make a great looking Streetrod Slotcar. I have built a few "real" ones myself in the past..
Is it 1:32 scale, and as Ember has mentioned, will you be producing any resin castings from it. If so I would be intrested in a couple..

All the best.. Martin.

·
Kitbasher
4,250 Posts
Me too -always loved the e93a

Tif

·
Jim Moyes
5,002 Posts
QUOTE (tifosi @ 12 Jan 2012, 02:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Me too -always loved the e93a

Tif

Perhaps Britfix will do one of those too! Different slats in the grille and no humped boot on the rear if memory serves. I started building a Pop 103E on a TR4 chassis when I was 15. It even made a feature on my club in Hot Car mag. Never finished it though.

Sigh!

All this nostalgia today!

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, scale is 1/32.

The one I'm doing is the Popular 103E, early 1950's on. I've worked out that the E93A is its pre-1950 predecessor, with a more upright ordinary grille and no raised boot bit; and typically four doors, called the Ford Prefect. But definitely hot rodded as well !

Doing it in resin ? Open for discussion.....

I have done resin prints of shells before, but I don't really like doing it - I've limited work space, the chemicals disgree with me, and I've found it expensive, unless you're going to go in to mass production.

However, I'd like to guage demand, and requirements for either a simple slush mould shell, or two-part buck mould to cast chassis mounts (PCS32) and some interior detail as well. So comment here or, better, PM me.

And if any Slotforum member out there is 'in business' doing runs of resin casts and would like to co-operate in printing off my 103E, please PM.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
The only 1/32 Popular or Prefect I've seen was a vacform shell on ebay which fetched quite good money. Of course there has been 1/24 kit versions of this car but never 1/32. I think you should definitely consider making some resin copies as there's sure to be some interest, both for rodding and in making a banger racers (jalopies). Of course it sits high and will probably overturn on the first gentle curve but who cares it looks great. I'll definitely have at least one.
You're doing a wonderful job so far.
Cheers,
Tom.

·
Martin De Ath
1,440 Posts
Hi there Britfix..

Is this shell you are using (in the photos) from a plastic kit, a resin one, or one you have made yourself. If thats the case excellent work..

As Tom has mentioned, I have also, never come accross any of these Pops available in 1:32 scale (plastic or resin) only in 1:24..

Like Tom, I'm also sure there would be a very good demand for these shells in resin, along with a Van version as well. (Fordson or Thames, as it was known in the USA).

Looking forward to see how this one developes..

All the best.. Martin.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Do I understand this correctly - you are making this body entirely from sheets of styrene plastic? If that is the case, I've been waiting for decades to see how this is done! I've heard that it can be done, but I've never seen it actually done.

I'm talking about making a body that consists of 3-dimensional compound curves, such as this Popular. I've seen plenty of models with flat body panels that were made from plastic sheet, but nothing like this! Fantastic!

Can you share any secrets or tips? How do you achieve a 3-dimensional compound curves with 2-dimensional sheet? I've been trying to figure this out for ages.

·
Kitbasher
4,250 Posts
I would definitely want one and if it were Goerge Turner quality resin i would happily pay GT price!

Tif

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
I had these pictures lying around in a long forgotten folder. I just thought I'd post them here. There are two Populars apparently racing (!), one at Brands Hatch (the grey one) which I think had some kind of supercharger. The other two are Anglias.
Cheers,
Tom.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
that is a lovely shell, try get it into production they,l move live like hot cakes, a hot rod for me has got to have a piece of engine- exausts showing through the body. like that! its mega expensive [new skool].

·
Martin De Ath
1,440 Posts
Hi there all...

It has to be a resin cast body...

So many different slotcars could be built from this model... Classic road cars, Race cars, Streetrod & Hotrods, Drag cars, Cut down bodies for F1 stock cars, etc..
Even mods to the Saloon body, to build a Van version, and a Pickup version..

I am sure there are plenty of people out there, itching to build something based on this classic Ford car.... "I know I am" ...

Hope to see some soon..

All the best.. Martin.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Progress update - chassis and mounts done ( including PCS32 blocks in case I decide to cast copies ), body and wheel arches settled around the chassis....

Cheers !

1 - 20 of 71 Posts