SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Martin De Ath
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there all.....

Here is a little project I started a few days ago...
Starting off with one of Ricks (Britfix) really great Pop body shells, I decided to "Chop the Top".. which was, and is still is a popular customising look.
Although on a real car there is a lot more work, believe me I have done a few....

Here we go....

This is how the body came from Rick...

The first thing to do, was to mark out how much and where to cut. Then chop the complete roof off...

After filing off the raised sunroof area (sorry Rick) I marked out the areas to be sectioned.
Sections of plasticard can then be used to realine the A,B & C upright roof posts. If you dont do this, the posts will not join up again.

This is how the roof now looks, with the plasticard sections stuck in, but un-shaped...
I also reinforced the inside of the roof at this stage, by cutting a piece of plasticard out to the shape of the inside of the roof, and sticking it in.

Once everthing is dry (overnight) then the shaping of the sections can be very carefully done to the original Pops roof/pillar shape.
Its best to take your time on this stage, as to fill in such small areas is very tricky..

This is the side view, before and after the roof chop..

Again a front view of before and after the roof chop..
This view shows up the roof chop better, due to the front windscreen height..

Dont forget you can use this idea, to do a roof chop on most Cars, Vans, Pickups, etc..
But bearing in mind, unless the roof pillers are vertical, the larger the roof pillar angle, and the lower the chop, the larger the roof sections you will have to add..
In some cases you would have to put sections in width ways, as well as length ways. It can become very complicated..
In either case, always work out the chop from the middle B pillar (thats if the car has one)...

Now comes... Finishing the body off, and its final paintwork prep. Then Painting..
Final body finishing & detailing, Plus... Chassis conversion..
I will post some more on the projects progress, as soon as I can..

All the best.. Martin

·
Tony
2,834 Posts
Great work, I always had problems with chopping roofs on model kits. I tried a Morris 1000 but had to give in, knew the limts of my skill. I have a VW Microbus kit that I have considered chopping the roof and chanelling the body. It doesn't look too bad as it's fairly square. Will make a nice slotvan

·
Martin De Ath
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Kev...

Bigtone... The VW Microbus to chop, should be quite straightforward as the roof pillars are almost vertical.. Have a go, I am sure it will work out ok.. Remember measure twice cut once...

The chanelling, again should be pretty straightforward, just work out the best place to cut to minimise fitting back the two sections, try and cut on a panel or trim line....

All the best.. Martin.

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Another fine job started and another mystery removed. Nice work as always Martin. But you might have to be careful, if you give too many of these secrets away the builder boys will be out for blood.

Amazing the difference the little bit of a drop has made to the personality of the car. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the work.

Embs

·
Tony
2,834 Posts
John, chanelling comes from the US custom car scene. It is where a horizontal section of the body is removed and then put back together to lower the overall car. Usually done together with a roof chop

·
Jim Moyes
5,069 Posts
No, you were right Stoner, channelling is dropping the body over the chassis. Sectioning is cutting a slice out of the body but is very rare.

·
Martin De Ath
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mr M.... Yes you are correct. Chanelling is lowering the body over the chassis to give less body to ground height, and sectioning is cutting the body length ways to reduce the side profile of the body...
I dont know where my head was when I wrote the post and using the wrong terms for the modifications, sorry for any confusion....

Having been in the motortrade for more than 45 years, and having done these mods on real cars, I should not have got it wrong...

To recap on the build.... I am just in the stage of finishing the body off and prepping it for painting..

The Scalextric chassis I have used is a TVR Speed 12 sidewinder, shortened and very modified, but using different wheels.
This chassis was ideal, as it is very flat with plenty of width to trim down to the Pops unusual body shape.
Just taking some photos at the moment, so will post them soon..

All the best.. Martin.

·
Martin De Ath
1,440 Posts
Hi there all..
Here is an Update on the "Pop Roof Chop" build..

I have now sprayed the roof with its first coats of primer, mainly to see how the roof sections have blended in and the gutter lines look.
A bit more work, and the body will be ready for its final primer and top colour coat. Still undecided what colour to paint it...
More updates on the body soon..

The doner chassis and motor is from a Scalextric TVR, very modified. Here are some photos of the conversion.

The Cut..

Joined back together, ready for the plasticard reinforcement..

Plasticard reinforcement.. I have roughly shaped the chassis to the body lines, but I will probably change this once the body is mounted.

Underside.. Wheels and tyres are from a Pioneer Mustang, but I might change these..

·
Martin De Ath
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Ralf for reply and intrest..

Grey primer would look cool, a "Pop Rat Rod" ...

Colour wise I am torn between a nice Candy or Metallic Red, but there again I have a nice Metallic Purple, hmmmmm..

All the best.. Martin.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
nail paint, 1 to 1 with acetone and your ready to airbrush a retro paint job in fabulous colors. i use it regularly, but dont try to use flakes, metalics are okay, on a cellulose primer from the pound shop. john

·
Registered
140 Posts
Martin

Excellent build so far, I like the wheels but feel if you are going to go the wild candy route a chrome wheel more apt.

Only my opinion but what ever you choose I believe will look great, really regret not buying one these shells from britfix but never having done resin build was a bit unsure hey ho.

Looking forward to you next update and once again another quality D'eath build.

·
Martin De Ath
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks all for your comments and suggestions..

Alfetta and Stoner... I have often thought about trying nail varnish through my airbrush, I will have to experiment..

Bearslot.... The wheels and tyres I have used at the moment, are only really to set the car up and mount the body.
As they are the 5 spoke mag style, they would look ok on a muscle car or drag car. Like you suggest, I think chrome wheels are the way to go with this build.

More updates soon..

All the best.. Martin.

·
Martin De Ath
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Rick, great minds think alike..
Only this morning I took off a set of these wheels from a Scalextric Corvette to see how they look..
I also like the Orange colour, as in the photo, it makes the car "POP".. excuse the pun...

Orange is on my list of possible colours, along with Red, Blue, Pearl White, Metalflake.. the list goes on....

More to follow...

Martin..

1 - 20 of 56 Posts