Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts

By crachepiquette at 2012-08-24

Most of time, you can get a personnal and nice looking slotcar without repainting it completely. By smartly painting some parts and adding some characteristic details omitted by great slotcar manufacturers, a standard issue can easily be improved. You just need some care, patience and good tools...
There's a little secret too: You must have a pair of good eyes and compare carefully each part of your slotcar with picts showing the real car...If windscreen wipers appears to be black instead of chrome silver, then paint them in black and so on. So, check your references...

I liked the deep red colour used by Ninco to paint the body, so I decided to keep it as it was originally. I intend to see that Posche often running, not perpetually displayed in a showcase, and I need to preserve the solid industrial paint and varnish applied by Ninco to protect the body from shocks and crashes. Varnishes I usually use and designed for modelling purposes, appears to me too thin for intensive slot racing ...For the same reason, no photo-etched parts won't be added.

Interior was sprayed with matt black, seats will be painted in a dark red colour (broadly matching the body colour) and some details as the hand brake, rearview mirror and gear-shift knob will be subsequently added and painted.
The driver was cruelly beheaded and received a new civilian head ( By some chance, I find he now approximately looks like Steve Mc Queen, - as far as he could have drived a 356...-
).

Rear grille was painted in flat black and then drybrushed with Humbrol chrome silver.

Doors and bonnets have been outlined, using a dark wash. Front air intakes and wheels too. By comparing with the two first picts, you can see how a neatly applied wash usually brings some more depth and relief to the body.
Rear red lights have been partly painted (seats? spuds?
) with a chrome silver colour, as on the real car.

Bumpers were painted in a Mr Metal Colour Chrome Silver (Mr Hobby) in order to obtain a different tone of silver, comparing with Ninco silver colour remaining parts. A touch of yellow paint applied to the bottom of the front lights transparent parts features the bulbs.

Next step: Painting the driver...

·
Premium Member
2,699 Posts
How do these run? I have been tempted to get one but have heard mixed reviews on their performance. I know there were two different motors used.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Slots-O-Fun,

For the moment, I've just run it in a "from the box" state. As you certainly know, Ninco Classic are far to be NSR or Slot It jet planes...
Fitted with the NC-5 original motor and its Ninco tyres, and according to my poor driving abilities, best power should be within 12 volts on my Scalex Sport track.
I've added some lead , but I didn't try the car yet.
I'm waiting for ULTIMATT G4 urethane tyres, which are much more convenient on my rather smooth track. As soon as painting is finished, I'll carry out some tests.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This Porsche is finished now...
I've just added a pair of exausts. A "Porsche" décal was applied on the rear bonnet and a porsche logo décal in the middle of the steering wheel (as on the front bonnet handle).
Wheels received a black wash. Soft top has been painted and drybrushed in various tone of brown.
I like the front lights fitted with their yellow bulbs...

By crachepiquette at 2012-09-09

1 - 8 of 8 Posts