SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lovely. I just bought a Super Shells body sans windscreen to make chassis #132 that Herb Wetanson raced to 17th place (from 30th on the grid) in the 1966 Bridgehampton Can-Am. Will follow with interest.
View attachment 308295
Keep us posted on your progress, too. What kind of running gear are you planning?

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A little progress aided by some guesswork guided by magnifying glass examinations of the available color photos for the front quarter panel details.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Toy
Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Car Automotive lighting

After seeing these pics I have straightened the color bar decal and thinking about replacing this Porsche one because of the faded P.
The simple SW chassis runs well already, although will need new tires due to my over-zealous edge rounding on the right.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
The Alan Hamilton 906 had quite a career of its own. I think it ended up converted to 908 spec, with flat 8 upgrade then underwent a complete change as a hillclimb car with very different bodywork and engine swaps including a 289 V8 from memory. (Later purchased by Murray Bingham and underwent further conversions. Murray comments occasionally about the car on Facebook) Believe it was eventually bought back by Porsche and converted back to 906 or 908 spider spec.

The details are a bit hazy and confusing, I could also be getting confused with a different Alan Hamilton 906. Considering the car went through many configurations and Alan had another 908 (edit: and possibly a second 906) which was road registered. (And famously, a 917/10 which was occasionally given a street permit)

There is an article about his cars on the primotipo website. Feel free to correct me if I’m mistaken on any of the details as this is all from memory.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Slotspeed, thanks for the info. Pretty much what I found out. I especially liked the story of getting a street permit for the Can-Am 917/10 during the week of the Australian GP and auctioning off rides to a cafe.
There are quite a few photos on Facebook of his various Porsche racing cars, including photos on the street of a 906 or 908 and the 917/10 at the “Seaforth GP” which I think was a demonstration/untimed hillclimb of many amazing racing cars in the hills of Seaforth NSW, Australia. Most of them can be found in the “old motor racing photos - Australia” group.

·
Phil Kalbfell
3,397 Posts
Nice build, I did the same car a few years ago based in a Fly 906.
The car changed liveries often during its short time here in a Australia.
The actual history is a little shady.
The car arrived with a lot of spares, and Hamilton seemed to have enough spare to build a complete car!
Most experts here believe the Hillclimb car was actually a re encarnation!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts