SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw some left-over Porsche 907K parts advertised on the SRC website. I'd missed the short-tailed K version of the 907 when it was originally sold, so I decided to invest in the parts with the plan of eventually making them into a complete car.

Toy Audio equipment Fictional character Gadget Plastic

The bodyshell was a special edition from SRC, with their company logos, finished in a rather nice metallic bronze. I considered keeping the bronze, but I found it was beginning to come off in flakes, so I stripped the shell and repainted it in factory-team white:

Hood Motor vehicle Car Toy Bumper

The 907K was quite successful with its 2.2 litre version of the Porsche flat 8, but, by mid-1968 it had been superseded by the 908 with the full 3-litre engine. I decided anyway to model the car which was driven by Hans Hermann and a young Rolf Stommelen to 2nd place in the 1968 Nurburgring 1000 Km, behind the winning 908 with the formidable driver pairing of Jo Siffert and Vic Elford.
Tire Vehicle Wheel Car Automotive design

The parts came without a chassis, so I adapted an SRC Matra 670 chassis I already had. I modified it to make a sort of motor pod and fitted the 907K wheels and axles. Decals were quite simple on this car and I printed them myself.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Product Automotive tire Auto part Machine Cable

I'm quite pleased with how the car turned out; I think it captures the 'look' of the full-size car. I've never had much luck with these SRC Matra chassis and, I'm afraid, this one is no exception. I changed the very hard standard rear tyres to some soft NSR tyres, so now at least it grips well and doesn't sound like an old cart rattling over the track joints! Without a magnet, it was easy to drive and very forgiving, but not very fast. With the standard SRC magnet, it isn't really much faster. In fact it is slower than my standard SRC 907L, which doesn't say much for my chassis-building skills! Puzzling........

Rectangle Gas Trunk Automotive exterior Auto part

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Motorsport

Tire Hood Vehicle Wheel Car

Car Vehicle Wheel Tire Automotive design

Wheel Car Vehicle Tire Automotive design

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Neat model, 42r. I did an SRC 908L using that blue flashing too.

Andy

·
Registered
10,364 Posts
Ah, finished. Thank for this new thread, Mike. The car looks superbly well. A treat. Like Andy above, I also missed the 907 short-tail when it was launched, which makes me a little more determined to get one.

·
ParrotGod
9,853 Posts
I like what you did here. This body shell could be a good performer with a matching chassis (I like the short overhang behind the rear wheels).

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like what you did here. This body shell could be a good performer with a matching chassis (I like the short overhang behind the rear wheels).
I think you're right. It's reasonably light and has a good front overhang (which I'm not using!). That may be why the standard 907 longtail is faster. I did think about trying to shift the guide forward, but I was too impatient to get the car running.
Mike

·
ParrotGod
9,853 Posts
I was more thinking about putting a 3dp chassis and the like ;-)
This body shape reminds me a lot of the GT40 - which is not a bad thing in my book.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Very nice job. I have one, it runs well and I have long considered getting a second but they are hard to find nowadays. Building from parts is no issue.
I find the SRC motor is slower than the Fly, but because it's so driveable it can hold it's own on a short twisty track.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did SRC have the glass in stock? Beautiful recreation also, Brumos approved.
No, only the headlight-glasses, but I managed to find some clear plastic packaging more-or-less the right shape, so I used that. Although it looks like a complex shape, the windshield is pretty close to a 2-D curvature and the side windows are too.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The nice thing about the older cars is the liveries where simple. Great looking period car
Thanks!
You‘re right about the simple liveries, up to a point, but those Martini 917s can be a challenge and I’ve yet to attempt the tapered white stripes on the 1970 Le Mans winner!

·
Kevs Racing Bits
3,529 Posts
I'm not a Porsche fanboi but the 907K is a lovely looking car (y) (y)

·
ParrotGod
9,853 Posts
@Coides: that is a 1/43? Very nice level of details and well executed paint job.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@Coides: that is a 1/43? Very nice level of details and well executed paint job.
The blue-and-white scheme was alwas a favourite of mine.It brought back good memories of Brands Hatch 1970.
I used to build 1/43 diecasts, too. I still have a boxful stored away in the loft. That was before computers and inkjet printing, so I used to hand-paint everything. With young eyes, I think it was actually easier to get a convincing result in the smaller size, as the defects were harder to see at a distance.!

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Yes, Solido. Back in the early 70s my pal and I decided to build the entire grid of the 1970 Monza 1000km as 1/43 diecasts. He peeled off a few years later but I carried on and am nearly there! Just a few 911s to do.

Andy

1 - 20 of 34 Posts