SlotForum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have got my kit done by Protoslot.

It's a really nice body, already painted and made to perfectly match Fly's parts.

There is also a notice clearly explaining the different steps of "How to".

And there's a friendly price as well (45 € for a painted kit).

Highly recommended for all Le Mans / Porsche fans.

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Don't just talk the talk Fast lucky!

post the pics!!!!!

Sounds good, I will have to get onto mine....

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The second link doesn't work.

Go simply to Proto-slot-kit's site and click on "Catalogue". Once there, click on the picture of the Porsche 908.

I think the Ferrari 275 is just out by now (or is about to be).

·
Registered
119 Posts
There is earlier thread in the forum where Rich T Uk added some very helpful tips not covered by the instructions. I'm half-way thru making mine using a chrome 908 donor. Some tips for those about to start, like Swiss:

1) You do need to use a Flunder chassis as a donor because the original 908's screw holes are different.

2) Trim the supporting ribs at the front of the chassis right off for a few mm so that the nose fits.

3) I found 150 grade sandpaper works very well on the vac formed plastic glass parts. It takes a lot of patience, trial fitting and time to shape the rear deck so that it fits but it is worth the effort.

4) the instructions show modifications to the donor car's rear engine parts but there is no guide on what to do with them. I haven't found a good reference pic of the 908LH rear end yet - does anyone know of one (thanks)?

5) It looks like I can reuse the 908 headlight glass, it dry-fits okay. This will avoid cutting and trimming the supplied vac-formed ones. This car would look great with lights.

6) 908 LH's have a prominent single windscreen wiper so this needs to be scratchbuilt unless I can find an O gauge train version.

Otherwise as fastlucky says its a very nice body and paint quality. The kit components are excellent but the instructions definitely have scope for improvement. Using the tips from Rich T UK, it is a great first kit for someone wanting to try building a resin car.
On a historical note, the protoype car came second to a Ford GT40 in the closest Le Mans finish ever, trading places sveral times on the last lap.

Cheers,Glenn

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi 550RS,

At least there are some notes provided with the kit ! Topslot doesn't give any.

Regarding the headlight glass, there isn't any VAC formed ones provided with my kit. I assumed it was meant to use those from Fly's 908.

I agree with you that the large windscreen wiper. I would even say that one should have been included in the kit.

Regarding a rear pic of the real car, did you see the one on Proto-slot-kit's site ?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi fast lucky,

the help I need is where the engine parts go. The instructions and web-site have this pic but I'm not sure how to use them. How did you use yours?

For the headlights, either my kit has an extra vac moulding or I've got parts left over and I missed a step
Rich T commented he had trouble installing the Fly ones but mine seeme to fit right in.
I found the original post from Rich T Uk that has a few extra tips here . May as well add them all here to save time

As for instructions, I don't mind at all if Proto adds the assembly tips we collect in the forum and adds them to future kits and the web-site. If it helps the next person that has a go, that's a good thing because the resulting car will be worthwhile.

Edit:typos and finally found the link to the original thread. Note to self, no SlotForum before breakfast.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts