SlotForum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Greg Gaub
17,040 Posts
Probably, but I don't have a link at hand. It would take only a few minutes to make one designed for colors to be changed at specific layers so that no painting it needed, a technique that can be used on any filament printer. No need for fancy ones with automatic filament changing.

·
Greg Gaub
17,040 Posts
Well, you know how great the Thingiverse search tool is. ;-)
I'm not finding it. I'd sure like to avoid work that's already been done and shared, so if you can find one, please post a link.
I'm thinking this might be better discussed elsewhere, so I'll leave it until one is found, or I make one, whichever comes first.

·
Greg Gaub
17,040 Posts
It took longer to find a good enough image to convert to SVG than to import, extrude, and slice.
This is what it would look like if you changed from black, to red, to yellow, to white, at the appropriate layers.

Product Rectangle Cartoon Graphics software Organism

I can also extrude the colors to the same thickness and make them separate parts to be printed and fitted together, but that can be pretty tricky for those fragile parts of thin black lines.
Now that I have a basic model, what needs to be done with it? A messy sketch on a napkin would be fine, but I need a dimension of something somewhere. That image is 20cm tall, and I'm guessing you don't want that.

·
Greg Gaub
17,040 Posts
Ok, then. Have fun.

·
Greg Gaub
17,040 Posts
I don't know what printer or slicer you use, but if you haven't tried Prusa Slicer, or even SuperSlicer (both branches of the venerable Slic3r), there is a new top/bottom infill option called "Monotonic" which pretty much eliminates those patches of different appearance that happen when the extrusion changes direction and meets up in the middle. Not as obvious after painting, of course, but it's a great feature that has become the default top/bottom layer setting for those programs. Prusa Slicer has profiles for a number of non-Prusa printers, including most from Creality and other popular brands. SuperSlicer probably has even more.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts