SlotForum banner
121 - 140 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
The Maison Blanche corner (in this case for my track) is a vintage scene that I’m trying to get for the track, that’s why I put some “Total” vintage signs and the “Happy” Esso sign will look perfect. Perhaps as the guardrail is currently blank a couple of Cinzano or Doubonnet ads will also fit perfectly (‘fact I just removed the Santander ads that were in place hehehe).

As for the bridge I already have the Scaley bridge that is in the middle of the retro and the currently modern bridge, I plan to replace it with the current bridge, (Keith(@beardy56 ) just sent me some files to print the modern bridge that I think I’ll get it done without much trouble(hope it’s easier than the Maison Building).

Love the ideas you post Laurence as I know you were there many times and your paints are a great way to get inside the atmosphere of Lemans😀

Gregs file is great and estimate printing time is almost 3 hrs at 180x89 mm so maybe I’ll get the sign in grey primer this very afternoon😉

Thank you all guys! Kudosx1000 , a great community we are!😀👍🏼

·
Registered
13,951 Posts
Thanks, Daniel. Most kind of you. There are so many features of one kind and another around Le Mans that I've made plans to build a few, and plonk them on the Mess.

One year it was so hot that I found a standing water pipe, and sat underneath it. The water rushing over me was refreshing, but it didn't take long for it to evaporate. For a while that water tap was more valuable to me than any of the cars on the circuit.

·
Registered
13,951 Posts
Fantastic, Daniel. I marvel at you 3DP chaps. Endless possibilities with this new technology, I suppose. All a bit of a mystery to me, but imagine where it might lead in future years.

Yesterday, I read about a couple of Swedish chaps who've built electrically-powered, single-seater, vertical take-off drones. You don't need a pilot's licence to fly one, either. Exciting stuff.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
The Esso chap, Daniel. Another feature for your 3DP skills, perhaps. I've never seen it modelled in any scale. A nice addition to any diorama. View attachment 293182
Where was the Happy Esso sign located at Lemans, Laurence? I’m currently changing the layout , well just adding a few meters , but I’d like to find the best place(I have doubts if it should be near the Maison Blanche)🤔.

·
Registered
13,951 Posts
Daniel

He was on the outside of the track a little way after the chicane on the main pit straight. If, for example, 60 cars were in position on the starting grid prior to the start, the Esso chap would be, more or less, at the back of the grid.

Very vulnerable to attacks by dragons, of course, so probably best to move him around from time to time.

·
Greg Gaub
16,855 Posts
I don't know what printer or slicer you use, but if you haven't tried Prusa Slicer, or even SuperSlicer (both branches of the venerable Slic3r), there is a new top/bottom infill option called "Monotonic" which pretty much eliminates those patches of different appearance that happen when the extrusion changes direction and meets up in the middle. Not as obvious after painting, of course, but it's a great feature that has become the default top/bottom layer setting for those programs. Prusa Slicer has profiles for a number of non-Prusa printers, including most from Creality and other popular brands. SuperSlicer probably has even more.

·
Registered
13,951 Posts
On page 4 of this excellent thread, Keith asks why the gearstick on most racing cars years ago was on the right-hand side. It's simply because there is nowhere else for the linkage system to go. In mid-engined cars, the engine is in the way.

Linkage systems differ, of course, from one manufacturer to the next, but in principle, they serve the same purpose. Usually, a rod is run from the base of the gear lever, and is positioned alongside the right of the engine. It is attached to the gearbox, normally at the rear of the casing, and operates on a 'push-me pull-you' principle.

Most I've used are 'orrible at first, but you soon get used to them. It helps if, like me, you were brought up on severely neglected farm tractors and Land Rovers. I used to think it was normal to stand on the grey Fergie's gearstick to change from bottom to second... It isn't.

121 - 140 of 206 Posts