1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive design

Tire Car Vehicle Wheel Automotive design

Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle

Here's a car that needs no introduction. I bought a Slot Real shell of the Pink Pig six years ago and it's taken me until now to build it. Slot Real is a Spanish resin body maker and this one came with a thick, rather uneven coat of pink paint, which thankfully seemed the right colour to me. Unlike the LMM ready-built model, it was based on the Fly 917K and needed a donor car. An excellent set of Pattos decals came with the shell.

The build was reasonably simple, the only complicated bit was fashioning the strange red boxes at the rear as these didn't come with this body. I made them out of chunks of resin sawn off of my resin scrap pile. The equally strange straps for these boxes were fashioned from bits of scrap photo-etch. The oil radiator (?) did come with the model and the rest came from the excellent Fly fittings, though the rear tubing had to be modified somewhat to convert it from 917K to 917-20.

Product Wood Rectangle Art Flooring

It was a big pain assembling those boxes onto the rear, in real life they sit in a webbing of little bits of tubing and I had to hold them in place with Blue Tac then glue them with fast set epoxy resin glue.

Nothing else worth mentioning was needed and here's the result.

Vehicle Car Automotive design Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle

Beverage can Font Aluminum can Art Drink

Camera accessory Film camera Rectangle Digital camera Cameras & optics

Finally, something you don't see every day, a pink pig without all those pork butchers cuts on it - looks much better, I think!

White Light Motor vehicle Mode of transport Vehicle

Andy

·
Gordon Steadman
6,933 Posts
I don't get out much so had never seen this car before. Boy oh boy that must be one of the ugliest Porsches out there.

You've made a great model of it though.

·
Premium Member
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Methinks the designer was a slotracer (handling body and all that)

Joel
Indeed, Joel. The aerodynamics for both the pig and the 1971 long tail cars were subcontracted to SERA, a company set up by Charles Deutsch, who was actually French and the man behind all those slippery DB and CD blue cars in the 50s and 60s (see here). They widened the 917-20 hugely but as far as I know the tracks weren't increased so the reason was purely aerodynamic. It's beyond me how increasing the frontal area could give a car less drag and for sure the long tail versions were the quickest in a straight line.

Andy

·
*** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,687 Posts
Hello Andy, a lot of great detail added there - nice.

This is one of the unforgettable cars in the 917 legend, so nice to see even for vegetarians.

Leo

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
Andy

The Pink Pig's track, front and rear, remained unaltered (from the regular cars) hence the car's body 'overhang'. This, apparently, was quite intentional as a means of reducing air pressure under the wings created by the wheels and tyres.

A propos the speed of the longtails down Mulsanne in 1971, I've always believed that Porsche's calculation of 252mph is correct. 917-043 proved to be the quickest.

When the Peugeot just cleared 250mph in 1989, the French claimed an all-time record. Hmmm...

But some of us still recall the 1966 Monte.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Andy

The Pink Pig's track, front and rear, remained unaltered (from the regular cars) hence the car's body 'overhang'. This, apparently, was quite intentional as a means of reducing air pressure under the wings created by the wheels and tyres.
Maybe, but I'm not convinced. Surely the open rear and the grills in the top of the front wing would relieve pressure as well as cooling the brakes and transmission. I'm guessing cooling is also why they didn't use aero hubcaps like the Group C cars. I suspect the wider body is about getting a smoother airflow over the tops of the wings and, possibly, getting some downforce that way, too. Wish I could do CFD (computational fluid dynamics) to prove it........

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This was 1971 and aerodynamics was more an art than a science. The bottom line for Porsche was that they never raced it again after Le Mans. It's real value was the publicity it gathered - we're still talking about it now, 50 years later, and a replica 911 painted in the same colour gained more publicity in 2018 and won the GT category at LM.

Andy

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
I prefer to rely upon the dicta of people with whom I've spent time at Stuttgart. They know what they're on about, and can actually prove it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts