SlotForum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scalextric? Just wishful thinking, I'm afraid, but come on Simon - you know you could make one if you wanted! "Classic Endurance Racer"

I started with an Airfix static kit of the 917K, Betta & Classic polystyrene and transparent vac-forms of the 1969 longtail and a Scalextric 2008 Honda F1. I'd noticed the Honda with its inline FF motor was startlingly fast on my track and I was intrigued to see if the speed would translate to my favoured GT cars.

It took some fairly drastic surgery, but I managed to graft the long tail and the 1969 headlights onto the Airfix centre-section. My thanks to Coides on this forum for the insight about how different are the lights from the usual short tail 917Ks. I left the Airfix cockpit roof and windows alone as they happen to be rather similar to the distinctive 1970 longtail car anyway. I find polystyrene is very forgiving to work and glue, compared with resin, fibre-glass or wood.

Paint is my usual Montana acrylic and the decals are home-made - an interesting challenge getting the red streamers around the lights to fit! It looked pretty good finished just with 3 coats of Klear, so I haven't risked trying to lacquer it yet.

I had intended to use all of the Honda F1 chassis, but as I examined it, I realised there really wasn't a useable front part, so I grafted the Scalextric guide and mount onto the front of a plastic chassis from a 1/32 die-cast toy. My idea was to use the Honda rear chassis as a sort of motor pod, so I fixed the front chassis-part rigidly to the bodyshell with three screws and screwed the rear chassis-part to the front through tabs with two more screws (like on a Slot-It motor pod). The Honda chassis was very narrow at the back, with only room for one screw instead of the two on a Slot-It type pod, but I attached this single screw to the back of the bodyshell. By loosening this screw and the two which hold the front and rear chassis parts together, the rear part of the chassis can flex while the guide and front wheels are fixed to the bodyshell.

Does it work? Yes! Better than I expected, in fact. The shell with interior weighs 25 grams and the complete car about 72 grams. With Fly wheels, NSR rear tyres, standard Scalextric guide, FF motor and magnet (sorry, magnet-haters - that's what you need to compete on my home track), it was straight away smooth and predictable to drive; just on the edge of drifting on the tighter corners. Over a mile, it's at least as fast as a standard NSR 917.

I hope this long-delayed post is of some interest.

Mike

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
Cripes! That's a HUGE job with a great outcome, congratulations! And very fast too, that's the advantage of your strategy compared to starting with a heavy resin body.

Andy

·
ParrotGod
8,580 Posts
I really like this. I think is one of the best 917 LT I have seen.

Magnet on the side, what you have done with the chassis is also great.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Absolutely wonderful. Far beyond anything I would even consider.....that's wonderful work.

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
A remarkable build, thank you so much for posting.

David

·
Registered
667 Posts
Un buen trabajo y si añadimos que has cortado el coche... Excelente.

A good job and if we add that you cut the car ... Excellent.

Frederic

·
Registered
8,571 Posts
For students of history this car today - chassis 042 - exists in its 1971 longtail guise, and remains in its original Martini livery.

917-045 driven by Siffert/Bell at Le Mans, 1971, which was originally painted in Gulf colours, is also today in the same Martini livery.

It's a situation that has led to a little confusion among 917 fans, so I hope this clarifies things.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Trisha - They had a Martini longtail 1971 car in the Le Mans circuit museum a few years ago when I visited. Do you know which one that is?

Mike

·
Registered
8,571 Posts
Mike

The 917LH you saw in the LM Museum is 917-045 driven by Jo Siffert and Derek Bell at LM, 1971. It was originally painted in light blue with an orange top.

It's been my view for years that it should be returned to its original Gulf livery

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Le Mans Museum, 2013; of course, Larrousse was driving no 21, so that's the one they'd want! Personally, I think the wavy Martini stripes make it look clumsy and I, too, would prefer the Gulf livery in this case. Are the wheel spokes still Gulf orange?

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts