Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,anyone able to help with decent photos of the above.I am redecalling a Fly car into this livery and almost finished but cannot find a decent photo showing placement of rear number roundels.I have exhausted Motor Sport/Autosport and Motoring News of the time and a few related books on the 917. I cant find any good pics.on the www either. Any help/suggestions?

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
I haven't got a photo of this car but every 917 I have seen had the rear roundel on the offside rear panel so my guess is you would be safe to place it there.

David

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
A warm welcome to the other Vic Elford fan! Where have you been?
Good luck with the 917, but have you any good QuickVic stories, too?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello and thanks to Nuro & Howet and David. I have read lots of your posts and as a newbie feel honoured to have got a reply from you guys!!!

Nuro - I have that picture and unfortunately it is from the practice session! One of the publications( I think it is Motoring News without checking ) details the reasons that a decision was made to run with the winged variant. Car #22 in fact did run with the same configuration as car #23 in the photo - and this is proved by the ( poor ) black and white shot of the start of the race in Vic Elfords Porsche Driving Handbook on page 37. It shows 11 cars at Eau Rouge and the angle is quite low thus not allowing a clear shot. I have searched quite vigorously think I will have to find a picture of another car that happens to have car #22 in the shot as well!!

Howmet - another Quick Vic fan?? Nice to meet you! I dont feel he got the recognition he really deserved but then Im biased! No real stories to tell except I was recently able to talk to him via the age of the internet - got a few signed photos and have promised to contact him again soon.Its his birthday on June 10th ( again I think without checking ) so maybe I'll do it soon.

David - thanks for the info but believe me these roundels jumped all over the place and were often last minute additions where ther was space at the time!!

Any further help on this damn car would be appreciated.

·
Alan Tadd
4,029 Posts
Welcome VEF.....

Didn't Vic write a book on how to drive a Porsche fairly rapidly?...I seem to remember reading it some time ago.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes BEEJAY7 Vic did write a book on how to drive Porsche cars quickly and he certainly did that! The book was quite technical in some places but a really good read for all that and there are some great pictures in it although they are all black and white. Its about time Vic updated his autobiography and released it in English. It was some time ago that he first issued it in France where he lived for a while - unfortunately my french is worse than schoolboy standard!! Vic is now living in Florida and still attends some vintage race type meets . He drove at the Goodwood Festival Of Speed 2 or 3 years ago - it would be nice to see him this year but I havn't heard anything.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Browsing my old motor clubs web site recently I found a letter from him about his exploits since 1970 . As an ex member of the Sevenoaks and district MC (ever wondered what that sticker is on the front of his helmet !) he is due to attend the Jubilee evening this year .
Quick Vic

Richard

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to Garry for the picture and also to JohnP - I will check out Octane - it looks a good read from a cursory glance.How come I never heard of it before?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts