SlotForum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
The second Le Mans Classic has been moved to July and had the cut-off date of entries moved to 1978 - to include the Porsche 935!

That means I am almost certain to forego the highly predictable 'real' 24 Heures du Mans once again for the Classic version on 23-25 July.

Scott

(Cheers to Intergrali for hosting the pics here and below)

·
Registered
78 Posts
I know - I got one as a very unexpected Christams present along with its brother, the Martini 934. Also have the old SCX version in Valiant livery.

I have never seen the real thing race. Two years ago at the first Le Mans Classic I saw a 917 being driven in anger for the first time. Fantastic! I also saw a lot of rich Americans driving slowly in their over polished toys, but that's another story.

The new 1978 cut-off also allows the long tail Renaults and a host of other charismatic sportscars only seen in photos. Not as complete a show as Goodwood Revival, Le Mans Classic is nevertheless a great petrolhead's weekend away.

Scott

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
I guess that I'm just lucky to be old enough to have watched these cars racing in their heyday!

Porsche 917 - David Piper (GB) / Richard Attwood (GB) - Kyalami 1969

Lola T70 Mk.3B - John Love (RSR) / Brian Redman (GB) - Kyalami 1969

March 735 BMW - Jody Scheckter (ZA) / Niki Lauda (A) - Kyalami 1972

BMW 3.5 CSL - Hans Stuck (D) / Jacky Ickx ( B ) - Kyalami 1973

Fond memories!

Kind regards,

Russell

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am sure Tony would be a star. Sadly, many others drove as if on thier drivng test. A test I'd have failed them on. Still, there were enough others hustling cars of widely varying ages to make it entertaining. Seeing the timid ones swamped by the quick guys through the chincae was especially enjoyable.

Scott

1 - 8 of 8 Posts