SlotForum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only know of two 1/32 scale slot models of the Porsche 959 - those by SCX and Altaya (sp?)

Who else produces (produced) a 959? - especially one without a racing livery?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
SCX produced a livery based on a 961 which raced at Le Mans in 1986, completed the race in 7th Place / 1 of class, 320 Laps with the average speed of 180665 Km/h.

I do not know of a road going livery produced by a slot car manufacturer, a nice car for Autoart or Fly perhaps?

SCX Porsche 959

The above picture of the red 959 is the SCX version but the Scalextric car is virtually identical, less chromed wheels and the decals are tampo printed rather than stickers, oh and its 2 wheel drive with a different motor (Mabuchi rather than an RX)

As mentioned the SCX version is proper 4wd & not band driven; personally I must have clocked up so many miles with my Scalextric version - I preferred it to the SCX version at the time (15yrs ago) because the car was smooth to drive and pretty quick (in a straight line) and for its time it had the most nicest lights; the rear lights looked awesome considering at the time, lights tended to emit a feeble glow!

Fond memories of these cars, I would like to see a 959 make a come back!

Jamie

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
SCX also released:

Black 959 'Hertz'
Green 'BP'
and the Scalextric (SCX) club car in Orange

Happy hunting

Gareth

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers Jamie - I had no idea of those liveries for SCX.

I've seen the BP & Hertz ones - don't like the looks much.
However, that red No. 160 - that's a fine figure of a car!

Cheers

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
Exin (not SCX please!) also made a limited edition car in plain silver and the red #160 car with the usual stickers and 4 wheel drive this was the one that the UK version was based on with tampo printing and just 2wd.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Anyone got the plain silver one up for grabs??? Its the only one I dont have

·
Registered
303 Posts
Oh your such a tease Phil!!

Not going to worthing on sunday are you???

·
Premium Member
5,185 Posts
These cars are not "959's" but 961's. The 959 is strictly a road car based on the 911 chassis fitted with a detuned 962 engine civilized for road use. The 961 which was also built for raid-rally in which it creamed the opposition, is mostly a tube-frame car with a semblence of 959 body made of aramid and glass, fitted with a full-race air-water cooled 962 engine and standard 5-speed 962 transmission. This car was SHORTER than a 959, has a WIDER body and looks quite different in many details. As usual, the Spanish and British slot car manufacturers just took their already-produced 959 bodies and stuck le Mans-style decals to mimic the cars that ran there, never mind accuracy.

Tamiya makes a perfect slot car kit of the 961 in a one-piece lightweight impact-resistant body with molded-in windows. Introduced first as a TamTech R/C kit, it is now available as a static kit with detailed interior and wheel inserts. The decoration is entirely done with... decals, including window frames. Unfortunately, it is in my fave 1/24 scale so most of you guys can only dream about it, that is until a small concern will do an accurate 1/32 scale 961 body kit. Let's hope...

Here is a pic before decals:

I will post a pic of it decaled as soon as I get a chance to shoot it.

·
MG Brown
559 Posts
Hey Mr.P... I'm a 961 fan also.

I am planning to make one up in the "Rothmans" LeMans 1987 livery using the Raceworks/Speedline decals and TSRF chassis.

I am assuming you are using the kit decals?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
QUOTE until a small concern will do an accurate 1/32 scale 961 body kit. Let's hope...

It has a lot of potential as a slot car of today's standards; I totally agree it would make a lovely slot car as stated in my post.

Considering the Exin (as corrected by Phil) model/mould is 15+ years old I think it was a bloody good representation of a 959 for the time!

Okay, the Exin mould is no where as detailed as today's models but remind me again which 15 year old models are? I still think that exterior wise it's pretty accurate save for some etched metal parts and a detailed interior.

When I originally responded to the thread, I was aware of the Tamiya model but chose to overlook this particular model as it's about as much use as a chocolate tea-pot - it's the wrong scale for the majority of enthusiasts of this board.

Jamie

·
Premium Member
5,185 Posts
QUOTE it's the wrong scale for the majority of enthusiasts of this board.

You are correct. If this board spoke German, 1/32 scale would be the "wrong" scale for the majority of posters. So it depends of where one is... In fact the availability of the Carrera and Ninco track with their greater lane spacing has opened the door for 1/24th at home more than anything before. So one may now purchase a 1/24 scale model kit and easily build a car using anything from a Plafit to Scholler to Momo to TSRF to a home-built chassis. And it is my experience that 1/24 scale cars are aLOT more fun, smoother, more controllable than 1/32 scale cars, so expect more enthusiasts to go for it.

QUOTE Considering the Exin (as corrected by Phil) model/mould is 15+ years old I think it was a bloody good representation of a 959 for the time!
No argument here. But a 959 road car is not a 961 race car, and I repeat: they look QUITE different. As far as I know, no 959 EVER raced in anything serious. It's a bit akin to Ninco painting one of their 934 in silver and calling it a "street turbo". OK for five years old, but all of you here are at least 12, eh?

Discernement is part of the joy of the hobby.
Here are the pics of the Tamiya car just with the decals, no paint or detailed interior yet:

Regards,

Dok Pea

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Sorry Mr. Pea,

but you're totally wrong on the rally-raid side. Those cars WERE actually 959s, although they only took part in 1986.

The 1984 paris-dakar-car was called 953, and was looking like a regular 911, it also had the stock engine, detuned to 225 hp. But it had some improvements like 4wd drive. The 1985 car was the 959 body shell with again the stock engine underneath, now with the original 231hp.

The 1986 cars then were real 959.

BTW, of the 961 existed one single chassis.

·
Lenny Broke
318 Posts
SCX produced a livery based on a 961 which raced at Le Mans in 1986, completed the race in 7th Place / 1 of class, 320 Laps with the average speed of 180665 Km/h.

180665 Km/h !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
what is that Mach 180??????????
Should have been outright.

sorry, I'll get me coat

1 - 17 of 17 Posts