SlotForum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

logged onto E-bay today to find a nice little gem in the way of the Hamleys Porsche GT3R up for grabs. Being a GT3R fanatic I popped a bid in. Afew hours later I recieved a message thro the ebay chain of chains from the seller.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

"I've decided to keep this one. I didn't realise it was quite a rare car, I picked it up from the cash convertors for £5 and didn't think much of it. I was getting so many questions that I checked it out."

Now further on today I was outbid which I would of expected...........as of 19:45 today the item is still listed so is this seller doing his upmost to get the price as high as he can thro a chain of messages..............I think so.

Your opinions please.

Regards

Brodster

·
Registered
270 Posts
It's not impossible that that's what he's doing but isn't that just marketing? A little on the cynical side but if you like it and can afford it then bid but if you don't like it enough then don't. As long as people describe things accurately on ebay then stuff will find its own price and he'd have to send an awful lot of emails to seriously affect the eventual selling price.

·
Digital "Tea Boy"
777 Posts
That's nonsense...if he doesn't want to sell the car any more he needs to remove it....had the same kind of fun with someone on Monday...

·
Registered
270 Posts
If I've read it right there are only 2 people bidding - withdraw your bid and it should drop back to the starting price, then wait for auction end and make your best bid. If he's calling your bluff and nobody else bids you're in.

Alternatively do what I do, bid what it's worth to you and don't worry about eBay shenanigans.

·
Jim Moyes
5,074 Posts
The other bidder has only bid on this one item in the last 30 days so I wonder if there isn't a case of shill bidding going on. Then again, it's an unusual piece, so perhaps nothing else has caught his eye recently.

It's the usual Ebay gamble, but there is no better advice than given above - bid as much as you're prepared to pay and no more!

I expect the winning bid - if the sale isn't retracted - will be placed in the last few seconds anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts