SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You can read at Slot.it that this car is in the Le Mans winners collection? Can someone tell me more about this? Will there be more Le Mans winners in this limited boxes except the 3 Rothmans Porsche-box?

Kind regards // Richard

·
Beppe Giannini
1,696 Posts
Can't help you on this - but if you look at the top post on the Italia Slot news feed (SF front page), you'll see new beautiful pictures...........and something odd........

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Here's an official release from Slot.it:

Important announcement regarding the Porsche NewMan 'Le Mans Winners' collection:-

We have good news and bad news:

The good news is: the cars have been shipped to the distributors and
they are beautiful. Many distributors already have the cars in their hands.

The bad news is: the car, due to an error whose responsibility is
entirely ours, comes with the wrong tyres: the car itself raced with
DUNLOP tyres, while the model comes with GOODYEAR tyres, unfortunately.
Please see attached image

We have incredibly missed the mistake in the production samples and all
the cars have been shipped with this very unfortunate feature.

So, we have asked all the distributors to stop sales of the cars they
have until they'll receive the correct tyres. A small bag with 4 tyres,
2 front+2 rear, properly marked 'Dunlop', will be found inside the box,
ready to be put in place of the wrong ones.

This will take approximately one week.

We deeply apologize with the distributors, shop owners and customers for
this very unfortunate occurence

I take the opportunity to show a picture of the 'Spirit of America'
decoration, due out in october.

Best regards

Maurizio Ferrari
--
Galileo Engineering
Via Cavallotti 16
I-42100 Reggio Emilia
P.IVA I-01799760358
Ph +390522516244
Ph/Fax +390522920496
http://www.slot.it

Slot.it is a trademark of Galileo Engineering

-

·
Beppe Giannini
1,696 Posts
That's right, Russell / Richard

memories of the Scarlet Letter !! Actually, I was there when it happened - last Saturday in Rome, for a Slot.it 956 race (BTW, just about the best nearly-RTR series I can think of), and the two new liveries were on display

I was bugging Maurizio as usual, when a common acquaintance came up and pointed out the (now !!) obvious mistake

To Maurizio's credit, he really took it in stride : didn't swear, spent 15 minutes on the cell phone and resumed racing - who said all Italians are temperamental ?

Oh, my suggested reward for the whistleblower : 200 sets of Goodyear tires

Ciao

Beppe

PS : matter of fact, Maurizio also mentioned the special box for Le Mans winners - but I'm afraid I was not paying attention, what with preaching the Digital gospel

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think he means the tyres being Goodyear instead of Dunlop. Blimey, I regard myself as a complete muppet and I didn't spot that!

Either that or it's the fact that it only appears to have one headlight working????

Pip

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, Porsche 962 with Rothmans livery won in 1986 & 1987...

...and in 1994 won the 962 Dauer

The question is if Slot.it will do more cars with the Rothmans livery. The 1-2-3 box is the 956 from 1982.

Kind regards // Richard

·
Registered
111 Posts
Looks to me like we get a bonus extra set of tires. It is nice that they are correcting the perceived "problem". It usually doesn't take that long for the lettering to get rubbed off the sidewalls anyway. I know there are sticklers who would complain, and they SHOULD get it right. This way they can keep the correct tires for show and the goodyears for go.

The biggest problem I have is that Maurizio doesn't release new models fast enough to get more of my money. As far as I am concerned, he can keep 'em coming, and I will keep paying.

Thanks for sticking with one kind of car. After the 962, Sauber, Nissan, please bring the Jaguar and Mazda. There may be some other obscure models that would be cool, but the Jag and Mazda are historically significant to the era and series.

Can't wait to see what you turn your sights on after that!

·
Beppe Giannini
1,696 Posts
Slightly OT, look up once more the Italia Slot news feed on SF's front page > 2d post : Porsche Cup 956 Slot.it - DTM Scalextric - Roma

Plenty of pictures for a typical day at the races (with Latin flavor) - and, at 42 entrants, the 956 is fast becoming the most popular class in Italy

PS - did you see the picture of the guy using advanced ESP / pranotherapy to detect the best among the handout motors ?

·
Vendor
2,977 Posts
Thanks folks but MY opinion of superb service is providing the correct tyres in first place . Sigh. Do I feel stupid!

Anyway: yes there will be more cars in the 'LeMans winners collection' series; obviously the already announced Rothmans 1-2-3 1982, followed by, but in an unknown order yet, the other 956 and 962 that won LeMans, and the Mercedes Sauber.

Best regards

Maurizio

·
Vendor
2,977 Posts
I have received this email from a very kind gentleman whose name I will omit for privacy, maybe he does not want to be mentioned as I do not know him.

"Dear friends at slot.it,

I read about the New Man-956 and the delivery with wrong tires.

Well, from my point of view, the Good Years are absolutely ok, because these were on of the advantages Jöst had over the other cars in 184 and 85 when winning LM with this car. It features Dunlop-livery, that´s true, but it raced on Good Years. This is also published in Peter Morgan´s great book "Porsche 956 / 962".

Best regards"

Now, I do not have P.Morgan's book, can anyone confirm this and, if so, does any pictures exist of the P956 NewMan in LeMans with Dunlop sponsorship and Goodyear tyres?

Thanks

Maurizio

·
Registered
773 Posts
...just checked the pictures Stephan Kremer made

...no writing on the tires - and most information about this car tells you that the tires should have been Dunlop - but look at this sticker at the back

showing Goodyear!
A mixture of Dunlop-Sponsoring and Goodyear-writing on the tires on the same car seems impossible to me - -even if the tires have been Goodyear, there would have been no marking on them!

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
If you look closely this one has Goodyear on the front to, and no visible Dunlop livery at all. Whereas the Slot.It model has only Dunlop.

This is a different model to that upon which the Slot.It one is based IMO.

McLaren

EDIT: Oh and this model doesn't have spoked wheels on the back like the Slot.It one. It has the brake cooling ducts on the front and back.

EDIT AGAIN: And it's number 8. The little one is number 7.

I think this might have been the confusion.

The man emailing you (Maurizio) had mistaken your car for this one. Just a theory...

·
Beppe Giannini
1,696 Posts
quick Googling : Dunlop claim to have won at Le Mans in 84, picture of #7 car there with Dunlop stickers, tires marked but blurred - no venturi on rear wheels

IF they had raced with Goodyears, I believe they would have changed the stickers

1 - 20 of 38 Posts