SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 179 Posts

· Premium Member
1,160 Posts
Hi Everybody,

With a total of nearly 1.5 million views within 2 weeks, it is highly probable you have already watched the videos of my portable British-themed scenic handmade rally track, "Flat Over Crest". Or maybe you have already read about the build process in Slot Car Magazine International or the German Car-On-Line.

Nevertheless, I also want to share the videos and photos about the construction process here on SlotForum, because this time I will not only show you how I did it, but you will also be able to score maybe a special stage win on this track if you visit the next UK Slot Car Festival on the 19th and 20th of May in Gaydon, UK Slot Car Festival - Scalextric Family Fun Event

I hope to see you there.

· Circuit Owner
5,961 Posts
Epic!!!

Brilliant sound effects. Quite possibly my favourite slot video of all time only rivalled by Sig's Mexican Airfield with the smoking doughnuts.

I love the way the exhaust note seems to match the car movement - that must have taken some choreography

· Registered
1,255 Posts
Wow, looking forward to seeing this track at the festival. I was impressed with it last year and it was no where near the finished article it is now.

Liked the sound effects on the video as well. Your attention to detail really is a amazing.

· Premium Member
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After showing you the the videos of the finished track, now I want to explane you how I came to the result.

Like I did on the Swedish Rally Track, I first created the buildings. Thereafter the track-built itself followed.

I have called the track and village "Flat Over Crest", which refers to an often used term in rally pace notes. But in my case "Flat Over Crest" is also a sleepy British village, which once a year awakes when rally cars roar with full speed through its streets. The small village contains typical British houses with large chimneys, a pub, and maybe most important; a slot car shop and also 2 stone bridges over a small stream and it is situated in a hilly landscape with lots of hedges and bushes.

Typical 1:32 scaled British village buildings are very rare, so I decided to create them by myself. On the internet I found photos of pubs, stores and cottages and started sketching. After the floor plan was ready, I sawed the 3mm plywood base plates. For the walls I used polystyrene plates as often used by architects for their models. Windows and doors were made from balsa wood. The stone structure was scratched into the polystyrene walls and the whole process went surprisingly quite quickly.

rallyhub
thumbsup.gif

Wood Automotive design Handwriting Urban design Font

Photos from the internet, sketches, 3mm plywooden baseplate and the polystyrene walls.

Window Building House Thumb Rectangle

Using a pricker for scratching the stone texture into the walls.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

A photo from the internet, the finished stone texture and the balsawooden windows.

Attachments

· Premium Member
5,561 Posts
I am speechless having watched the amazing video.

Thank you for showing the "how to" with the buildings and I love the autumn colouring to the scenery.

David

· Premium Member
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Guys,

Many thanks for your compliments and liking.

The table dimensions are 4.8mx1.2m.

Now let us go on:

The walls were painted with several colours brown, grey, orange, green and black from Revell and Humbrol, thinned with some white spirit to get a nice effect.

On the Tudor house I used firework rockets for the beams. Transparent plastic is used as window glass and glued on the inside walls. Old textile remainders became a second live as curtains for the buildings.

Property Wood Building Wall House

The painting of the walls with several colours of Revell and Humbroll enamel model paint.

Building Wood Window Bottle House

The result after using some white spirit after painting.

Wood Floor Serveware Gas House

The Tudor house with its beams made from firework rockets.

Attachments

· Premium Member
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks again for your compliments.

Hi Simon, I look forward to have a chat during the Festival.

Next I want to show you how I did the roofs:

I used sandpaper no.240 as a base material. First I cut a lot of strips and thereafter I glued them, partly over each other, together on a sheet of pasteboard. Next I cut the outsides of the slating roof till it fits the building.

The result looked too clean, so with some brown, grey, black and yellow matt enamel paint, thinned (yes again) in white spirit, the slates got its wished weathered effect.

Last but not least, the roof lead, made from grey painted paper strips, was glued.

In nearly the same way I made the roofs that consist of red roof tiles. For this application the sandpaper strips needed to be smaller, but the base material was still the same as used for the roof slates. After gluing the smaller strips on a pasteboard sheet, the sandpaper got a layer of matt red enamel model paint, followed by the, already described, weathering effect.

rallyhub
thumbsup.gif

Wood Finger Office supplies Writing instrument accessory Writing implement

The gluing of the sandpaper strips on a thin sheet of pasteboard.

Window Building Urban design Gas Engineering

Photos from the internet for checking what colours are needed for the weathering effect on the roofs.

Building Window Wood House Aircraft

The painting of the weathering effect. Use an old pencil or brush,

because the roughness of the sandpaper will destroy it.

Art Paint Recreation Wood Engineering

The painting of the smaller red roof tiles.

Wood Brick Art Roof Rectangle

The gluing of the roof lead, made from a small strip of matt grey painted paper.

Attachments

· Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Fantastic!

How long did the whole project take? This looks like years of work.

Please continue teaching!

1 - 20 of 179 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.