SlotForum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a track with is the size of an MDF board (2440x1220mm). It is cut in to 3 pieces, hinged and is 12mm thick - it it pretty heavy and awkward to get around.
I plan to make a frame from square edge timber.

To lay the track on I was planning on using interlocking foam boards such us these?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/32-SQ-FT-Interlo...#ht_2352wt_1297

Any opinions on whether they will be suitable?

Thanks,
Jack

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Your track base is definitely sturdy at 12mm (see my build thread below -- I used the same) but you will not need more than 2" x 2" (5mm x 5mm) framing for support. Several members have used thinner plywood/MDF on 1" x 2" frames successfully.

Check out gokartride's blog to see how he created a frame and filler "sandwich" which is quite strong.

The foam you are looking at is quite thick and you might want to consider what you will be using for the aprons around the track so that they are level with the track surface. Also how are you going to hold the track in place on those mats?

I am sure others will chip in with their advice.
Cheers!

·
Registered
56 Posts
here is the link to gokartride's thoughts on constructing a baseboard using timber and insulation board. Others have tried this but the principle is the same, replace heavy timber with something lighter.

I hadn't considered that when I built my baseboards which are a softwood frame and 6mm ply top.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Me too, but the missus will not be please if I rip it apart.... so will soldier on with what I have... 6 boards 2' x 4' (.61m x 1.2m).
Cheers!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts