SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you will remember a couple of years ago my first attempt at doing a portable track for my local tennis club.

If not here is the topic - My New ROC Layout

From that experience I learnt a few things and as the same thing did not happen last year I've had a long time to think about this years.

So, the first thing to do was re-organize the boards. I found the two rows of three boards very difficult to marshal, so this time I have gone for an "L" shaped set up. Also the boards were not easy to store so some changes were required there too.

Now each board sits snuggly on top of the next, so saving a lot of space.

Each has had a first coat of paint.

The layout I have created looks like this.

The idea is to be able to have two lengths of layout by adding or removing board "1a"

I have laid it out in the garden today and basically, it works.

All track within the board edges will be fixed down with the track pieces bridging the joins being removable.

Well that's it so far.......

·
Bob Chapman
6,918 Posts
Great idea Steve.
It shows the thought that went into your design.
Good one.
Bob

·
Greg Gaub
14,764 Posts
Yes! More portable tracks!

I look forward to seeing how you solve the support and connection issues of the separate tables, as well as walls/guardrails to prevent cars meeting the floor.

·
Bob Chapman
6,918 Posts
Ah necessity being the mother of invention Mr F.

I bet it will be an interesting solution.
I suppose a trick or 2 may come from the Rally lads who transport their tracks in sections from meet to meet.
Bob

·
Greg Gaub
14,764 Posts
Which I don't see much detail posted for some reason. I see lots of TRACKS, but rarely do they show and tell the details of the mechanics of the table support, connections, walls, etc.

·
ParrotGod
7,882 Posts
That layout is really cool: no compromises even if it is a portable layout! I like what you have done on the pit lane.

Looking forward to some pics of the track put together.

·
Circuit Owner
5,903 Posts
QUOTE (MrFlippant @ 2 Aug 2015, 16:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Which I don't see much detail posted for some reason. I see lots of TRACKS, but rarely do they show and tell the details of the mechanics of the table support, connections, walls, etc.

My Amman Valley Raceway thread shows lots of detail of joints, table mounts and barriers. It's coming to the end of its fourth year of constant weekly set up and take down.

·
ParrotGod
7,882 Posts
Hey Greg
Reading his previous thread, I assume Steve will lay t the boards on tables. So he will not need any special supports.

·
Greg Gaub
14,764 Posts
QUOTE (Mr Modifier @ 2 Aug 2015, 13:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My Amman Valley Raceway thread shows lots of detail of joints, table mounts and barriers. It's coming to the end of its fourth year of constant weekly set up and take down.

QUOTE (GRUNZ @ 2 Aug 2015, 14:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hey Greg
Reading his previous thread, I assume Steve will lay t the boards on tables. So he will not need any special supports.

Thanks, guys. My point was not that it doesn't happen, but that it's rare. The more, the merrier!

I also very much like the pit lane. Very clever.

·
ParrotGod
7,882 Posts
I think the whole track design is brilliant. This would even be excellent for a fixed track.
The only think that I might have done differently is to move the pit lane exit on 1a and having extension boards to be added between board 1 and 1a.
Kind of similar to the modular BLST track, where you could add different modules to extend the track even in shape: for instance with a board that has two parallel corners you could change the layout in a U shape.
As long as you keep the distance between the track pieces as in board 1 and 1a, you could add any sort of variation.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Thanks for the comments guys.

Here are more of my thoughts/ideas.

1) The boards will be tables as before, so no legs etc required. However I may look into this in the future.

2) My current thinking is that the boards will locate together using small dowels, secured with the locking plates used on divan bases of beds. I have yet to source these plates, but know a place where I'm sure they will have them or something like them. I also have an idea to use the briefcase type claps - does anyone know I can find some?

3) The track and boarders must sit within 3/4 inch of the board edges so I can stack them as shown. This should also protect the track from damage and dust when being stored.

4) The main use of the layout will be without using board "1a". When at home, in the garden, I can add that board. So, to me, the pit exit is in the the correct place for the limits I have.

5) Transporting the layout will be a lot easier because some of the weight (wood and track) has been stripped away. The previous layout was too busy and fiddly to join up. It will also be a lot more manageable to handle now and it still fits in the Range Rover.

6) The barriers will be scaley ones, plus some plasticard ones. The height of these means they fit within the space between boards. Therefore I do not have to dismantle them every time. I am going to have to give some thought about the cars meeting the floor!!

7) The S/F straight is on the other side to where the driver stations are. This means I can control where cars are put back on the track without affecting the lap counting. Last time I had the drivers and S/F line on the same side. One driver came off just after the S/F line, stretched down the straight, picked their car up and put it back on just in front of the S/F line. So I was left with a lap time of 3 secs, when a fast lap should have been about 8 secs.

8) The track on each board will be wired together, with each board having plug connectors at each end to connect to the next board. The PB power will be connected via the separated S/F piece.

I hope that answers some of your questions.

Cheers

·
ParrotGod
7,882 Posts
Hi Steve
For point 6 (cars flying on the floor) you might want to consider some high barriers made of 3 mm MDF or plexiglass that attached to the board edge through magnets. Easy to add and remove but strong enough to stop cars from leaving the boards.

For point 7, can you set min lap time with the software you are using for managing the race? I believe that even the scaley tower has that option.

·
Greg Gaub
14,764 Posts
Yeah, that's the biggest problem, and one of the reasons my portable track layout is the way it is. It worked out fairly well in the end, but could have been a much better layout without that limitation. I guess this is why a lot of people go with routed track for modular/portable layouts.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've been mulling over a slight change to the layout and checked a couple of measurements.

This is what I have come up with.

The boards are now in a line, which means connecting the boards together is simpler - I am using brief case type latches located on the sides of the boards, with three dowel pegs for each join (pics will follow).

The other bonus is that I can now add in a classic chicane section, starting at the first full straight after the third XLC, go through the S's and finish on the next full straight. I have a straight piece of classic chicane, which I will chop down to a 1/4 straight and also chop a R2 chicane in half.

Plus I still have the 6th board to add in possibly between boards 2 & 3, 5 & 6 or with a small adjustment to the layout above, boards 1 & 2.

What do you think?

Cheers

·
ParrotGod
7,882 Posts
Hmmm, I have to say that I do not like this as much as your first track.
The first one is a great track. This is just a portable track!

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Basically I have been mulling over a change to my main layout. I want to straighten it out from an "L" shape to this.

I would build a new base, which would be higher than the current one (to still allow access to the eaves for storage) and it would sit in a different part of the the loft room. The majority of the current layout would just transfer straight over to the new base (lift and shift), so only the new bits would need doing.

All this would mean more space and better driving positions and view of the track.

It sort of morphed from that really.

I have set up the first version and on first impression I wasn't entirely happy. I'll add some borders and see if that changes things.

I will test run the potential new version and see what that's like, before committing.

I just need a few hours to play, as I have been busy with house repairs and chores, before I start the new job in September.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 95 Posts