SlotForum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
On a night where track records have been broken, then broken again... I wanted to float the idea out of a possible classic sports car meeting on the weekend of 9/10 feb 2013. We feel that the trans am event was a great success and this could emulate the trans am

Format would be decided based upon the interest for the event... Any takers or suggestions?

Jake

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well we ran 1/24 open and both myself and ted set over 15 laps in 2 mins. Also my best lap time was a 7.6 I know you did on Saturday when playing round with them too

As I said, it's only in early talks, but we have some great ideas for a great classic meeting

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't worry mate, you'll get there, it just takes time and practice, im only just starting to get really quick now...

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haha! Still got some work to do then in the chrono

15.23 is the distance record over 2 mins for 24th open class, I'll leave that one for you to break next time your down

We will discuss it this week and take on some comments from members here to make sure it is a great event.

·
Phil Clayton
889 Posts
Jake
You already know my thoughts on the classic meeting....but I'll re-post them here so everyone can read them.

I think we should link it in some way to the real Aintree circuit, call it something like the "Aintree Iron" (other than the British GP the next biggest race was the Aintree 200).

This would probably mean that we should only run cars from prior to 1965, which is when the circuit closed to major meetings.
I think this gives us 4 options of cars to run:
1. F1 (although the problem here is that there is a change in 'formula' in 1961. Before that date the upper limit was 2.5 litre engines, after it was 1.5. They are very different cars.)
2. Sportscars like Jaguar D-types, various Ferraris, Maseratis etc. I.e. open cockpit from '55 to '64
3. Touring cars (might be a non-starter due to lack of models available, and none of us have any) up to '65
4. GT cars (closed cockpit coupes '55 to '64)

If we wanted to stretch things.....club racing continued at Aintree to 1982.....

Stuff to think about.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Phil,
The thinking at the moment is options 2 and 4. Rules to be broadly similar to the Trans-am. Also ,we have discussed the possibility of running a one hour or ninety minute team race to round off the event. We would welcome any thoughts from possible participants...
TED....

How about we call it the Aincientree 200..sorry..I'll get me coat....

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My vote is for option 2 as well, I think a long race at the end is also a good idea. Any other comments on car class?

·
Phil Clayton
889 Posts
Just another thought...are we running a TransAm event next year and following the 'new' rules?
I'm a little concerned that the lower ride height rules might mean examples of this turning up..

...when I strongly believe that proper model racing TransAm cars should look like this.....

...and would really like to see an end to these... a '69 Camaro

...being passed off as these.... a '68 Camaro (and sometimes even a '67)

Just my opinion of course...

Catch ya later.....

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Lee, thanks for your kind words

We will just need to finalise some things, but will post more details when its all finalised

Jake

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I understand Ian. Nothing is set in stone yet dates wise, but hopefully you can make it

Take care from us all at HPSCC

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The date I propose is 16th/17th Febuary 2013. Does anyone see any date clashes on these dates?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.