SlotForum banner
41 - 60 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Don't worry, I only learnt the term a couple of months ago.

Blue printing is when someone buys a lot of the stock chassis that the club will run and tests them all to find the one with the quickest motor, grippiest magnets, best meshing gears if they're going the whole nine yards. It all gets put in the straightest, best chassis and bam, you've got a rocket ship car on your hands. But it is a pricey thing to do as you probably want around 20 cars to go through to find what is good.

Unfortunately you can't really police against it and if someone wants to spend the money (and time) to do it, it is going to happen.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Tbh if someone wants to win that badly good luck to them.

I'm doing it more for the social side of things and to learn a bit about my cars if I happen to win great if I don't then ill just keep trying.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Which is the spirit I approach racing in myself. I love racing and I love being having a group of friends to race against. I've got to be honest, turning laps on my own isn't fun at all. I've had a four lane up at home a few times now and driving it on my own is boring. I miss having my brother around all the time to drive against. He's in Germany, not dead before you worry!!

Anyway, lets get back on topic which is the excellent news that you are launching a new HO club in East Anglia. Hopefully it picks up like crazy and you'll be hosting EAHORC meets before we know it.

Oh and ECHO is definitely better than HOLO and LOHO!

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
QUOTE (sunsetman @ 9 Jun 2011, 23:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm hoping that once we've been running for a while that we will have build a relationship with a few retailers that will allow us to offer members discounted cars and spares.

Our sponsor 'Ho Racing Ahead', already does this for established clubs.

QUOTE (sunsetman @ 9 Jun 2011, 23:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I agree although I guess if we did have a 1 chassis class that tyres wouldn't make a huge difference it would be down to driver skill more than anything.

Part of the learning curve, is knowing that the original tyres, soon give up, go dry and loose their traction, For £1.50 a pair, Silicones (from you know where), IS the way to go. That price is as cheap as can be.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Current rules are (but this is very much at the planning stage)

F1 = Mega G with stock tyres and Tyco with any tyres
NASCAR = EAHORC rules apart from stock tyres and either a real NASCAR paint scheme or the slot cars original paint work
Mod = EAHORC rules but body must be from a car that raced at Le Mans

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
One of the things that has me scratching my head is the HO classes. I bought two cars for the meeting we had in Norwich and i,m still not sure what chassis they have. One is a F1 type and the other a Nascar. Would these be allowed? Simple speak might get the newbie,s down there.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Yes, the F1 is probably a Tyco and the NASCAR a LifeLike, you may need the original tyres for the LifeLike but I'm sure I can find some rubber tyres that will fit it.
If the F1 is a Mega G and you need tyres I've definitely got spares.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
QUOTE (jonnynobber @ 10 Jun 2011, 10:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>One of the things that has me scratching my head is the HO classes. I bought two cars for the meeting we had in Norwich and i,m still not sure what chassis they have. One is a F1 type and the other a Nascar. Would these be allowed? Simple speak might get the newbie,s down there.

If you are still unsure have a word with Jim

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
It's a good point jonnynobber made though - a new club running an unusual scale (HO) needs to be very accessible. It takes a while for all of us to get to know our Turbos and Tycos from our G+, Super-G+ and Mega-Gs

When we set up WHO last February, we had an F1 class with club cars that were easy and fun to drive (Tycos with silicones). If people wanted to bring different cars, they could run them - with permission from Race Control - with stock rubber. Quite a few racers bought Tycos from Tony and I experimented running other chassis - Turbo, SG+ and Micro Scalextric. But the club cars still got a lot of use up until the end of the year.

Running alternate months to F1, our plan for the closed-wheel Mod class was to showcase a different chassis each round. So we had SRT GT40s in March, SG+ Nascars in May and in July we had BSRT G3s (SG+ parts) with lexan bodies. We settled with G3s with hard bodies as our club cars - which most people ran in September before an explosion of new cars arrived for the last mod round.

So, we had a year of introducing people to HO with our club cars - and then everyone started buying their own cars for both classes. This year, club cars have been run by 3 to 6 people each month. I am also really impressed by the wide variety of chassis people run and where they get them - eBay wins, bootfair finds, HORA cars, Like Likes from Barry, US-imports plus Martechs and home-tuned rockets.

We sell a lot of Supertires, which we buy from Frank the Racer for just over £1 a pair and sell on for the standard UK £1.50 price. I think they are an important - and cheap - upgrade that does make any car more drivable

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
We will have club cars available for all classes that we race, I seem to be spending half my day worrying about these at the moment, but we'll get there.
I want to keep the costs for racers down, hence using standard tyres on Mega Gs and NASCARs, also I'd like everyone to feel that they are on a level playing field when it comes to the racing.

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
From our experience, the club cars were very busy for most of the first year - and that did mean a very level playing field.

Even experienced RC and slot car racers used the club cars because they knew the cars were well-prepared and they could concentrate on enjoying the racing. Once they were enjoying the racing and saw it as a new hobby, the cost of a Mega-G from Lucky Bob or a Life Like from Barry becomes an investment in the hobby, not just a whim. And HO is pretty damn cheap compared with most hobbies.

For our club cars we ended up going with the Tycos and G3 / SG+ hybrids because they were robust and fun to drive. We'd made the decision on the F1 Tycos at the start of the year, but the mod choice was a learning process for us. I think Robin's idea of showcasing the different chassis was inspired

Maybe that's an option for ECHO too? It would mean your closed-wheel class rules could wait until after the showcase is over.

41 - 60 of 139 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.