Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Alan Paterson
835 Posts
Hi guys,

Well I'm 50% in to my latest project, going away from the woodies, and recently purchased some Carrera Stock. Now trying to complete the transition to Digital via ebay and wherever I can..

But, here's a layout I thought would bring back a good few memories for some of my fellow S'fricans..

Could be good fun with a decent bit of scenery and correct elevations...

(HEY RUSS and ANT...)

Regards

Big Al

·
Dennis Samson
807 Posts
Looks good - and brings back lots of fond memories! Would be great to run some Springbok Series replicas.

The elevation changes that were in the full-size between the Kink and Crowthorne would make for quite a challenge in 1/32 scale, but would add no end to the atmosphere!

Are the cross-overs after Barbeque and Clubhouse the normal non-digital ones? They look a lot shorter than the digital lane changer straight sections.

·
Alan Paterson
835 Posts
I agree, elevations will add to realism..

I haven't yet received my Digital LC's, but I'm using the Chicane pieces in the trackmap as LC's. the standard X overs are the standard x-overs, not digital.. Prolly won't keep those in the design, but will be interesting to see how they affect the overall running of the track..

Still trying to outbid some ppl on eBay for the PRO X stuff, so, as and when that notion gets to Cape town, then I'll start looking at the space issues..

Regards

Al

·
René 'Vialli' Christensen
4,861 Posts
I like the layout. Simple and yet it looks like a tecnical drive.
And it leaves room for a lot of scenery!

·
Anthony Bartlett
3,255 Posts
Hmmmm Al - nice one......... can remember sitting at Crowthorne and seeing ermmm ... the Kelemata sponsored F1 in the 80's (help me out here) go flat out into barbecue wall.......

And then there was the nine hour in 84 where we had a Highveld downpour and all the 956's - well a lot of them - landed up in the catch fencing at sunset.....

Post some pics when you have the basic set up......

·
Dennis Samson
807 Posts
I remember a downpour in one of the earlier races too - '75 or '76 I think. The Renault R8 Gordini's and the Mini's were the fastest cars on the track for about 45 minutes. I was sitting on the outside of Sunset and can clearly remember watching some of the big bangers doing slow 360's all the way down the hill from Crowthorne to Barbeque!

·
Alan Paterson
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Hi Dennis, (apologies, did forget you were out there..)

I was personally a "Kink" man, or my Dad was.. One of those Thursday Arvie shut down the company, pack the Flat Bed with Scaffolding, Tents, Canvas and planks, and go assemble a mini Tower behind the small Cement Stands.. You could see almost everything from Sunset all the way round to down the straight and up to the Dunlop Bridge..

Ermm, What I remember is that Bloody Fast Zakspeed Escourt giving the Fastoer Porsche 956's a Hiding for a half an hour...

Been imagining a nice 4 laner with complete LC's and a working Pit Lane.. 9 Hour Endurance for Historics, sheesh, mebbe we could even get Russell and dennis over for the race..

Ant, Rob the Bank buddy...

Regards

Al

·
Alan Paterson
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tuesday, Tables arrived..

having only got the space of half a single garage, I had to work a plan to get the track to fit as best as possible into a space 5.4 meters by 1.5 meters.. And it works..

I wasn't sure about them when they were delivered.. sort of swallowed up the garage...

This image shows how I have cut the woode away in between the various back part of the track curves through Jukskei and Barbeque.. This will allow me to get to the main straight and Pit/startline area..

I also have a 7cm border running all the way round the track for slideoff.. Rather have more than less I believe...

Now hoping to source the LC's and bits and get that sent over..

More to follow.

Regards

Al

1 - 8 of 8 Posts