SlotForum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

Just back (seems like ages!)

In the middle of one very full week of slot related activities.

Haven't had time to look through the forum for news from the NSCC weekend, but assume you all now know about the New Lister Storm LMP car, new chassis, new sports racing accessories, etc,etc,etc.

Great weekend! - a real bonus for NSCC members and another good reason to join.

For collectors out there some big money was paid to charity for some great Prototype cars supplied by Hornby! Prototype Corvette, Mini and Subaru. Lots of mould tests for the Micro Scalextric cars.

Anyway got back from Spain late last night with a very very full suitcase of stuff bought from the 7 or so shops in Barcelona. (new shops! - one open for only two weeks!, great new track layouts at Palau and Slot Mania).

Several new cars i had not seen - Ninco Fiat Punto Limited editions, Ninco Indy cars, Carrera Chrome Aston Martin, Superslot TVR (non Sport!). Also picked up a POLY Fly car (which is for sale! - not my cup of tea!) They had for sale the Mini Autos Fly cars also.

The New Fly GT40 cars were on sale in seperate boxes as well as the twin pack, had a good look at them and they were awfull!!! dreadfull build quality (light lenses and clear plastic parts looked like they would come off in a light gust!) the printing was very poor. Expect lots of cheap items in a few months!

Also had a chance to play on the SCX Digital test track, can't say too much at the moment, but have to be honest and say that i thought it was great! Lots of the recent info/guess work written about the system is very misleading, but i can't confirm any more details. We raced with six cars on two lanes and the system worked very well. There is a full range of accesories and six new cars.

One other car to look out for over the next couple of months is a Dellara F2 car - this will be released in Spain only in bright yellow. For full details see next months NSCC Journal!

I bought way too much new stuff, but also found a small batch of older Exin Scalextric cars at resonable prices as well as two complete Miticos cars on newsagents.

Photos may follow (Dependant on permissions).

See some of you on Saturday!

Gareth

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
QUOTE Also had a chance to play on the SCX Digital test track, can't say too much at the moment,
Understandable!
But there is now a fair bit of info available at Slot Center and sales in Spain are still scheduled for December. So, realistically, when do you think more info will be available, Jexy?

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As with all these things i'm in the hands of Tecnitoys to confirm when i can release info etc.

However the main reason i can't discuss too much is the SCX/Scalextric brands. At present all the demo kits are branded for Spain - i.e. SCALEXTRIC. The ones we will get/play with/buy will be SCX. There are loads of problems with the wrong logos being used in the wrong regions.

However all that said i should be able to give a full report with photos, references, details costs, etc,etc no later than 28th November.

Please understand that whilst there are already pictures on the web and other reports available - none of them have been officially approved and i'm bound to have info approved!

Jexy1

·
Registered
714 Posts
That SCX/Scalextric branding farce again!
One wonders if this will ever be sorted out in an intelligent manner - I suspect not.
I am clear about the branding for Spain, USA and UK but not 100% certain for the rest of the world. I THINK Tecnitoys can use the Scalextric name ONLY in Spain, or are there any other territories where it is legitimate?
What a mess!

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK let's clear it up as best as we can.

Spain, Mexico, Russia, Morocco, Bosnia, Slovakia and Poland are Tecnitoys Scalextric the rest of the world is SCX.

The only vague area i know about is Argentina where i have seen some Scalextric branding, but this could be just grey imports.

Hornby in Spain is Superslot the rest of the world is Scalextric (used to be called something like SuperScale a while back in the USA, but this seems to have been replaced with Scalextric USA).

If you think it's a farce - check out the on going Budwiser / Buvar law suit that seems to have been going on since the dawn of time!

Jexy1

·
Registered
714 Posts
Thanks for that expansion, Jexy.
Outside of Spain, I would have thought that the other few countries are not of any huge slot car value, though I suppose I could be wrong on that. Certainly, for the majority of what we think of as the slot racing Western World, the only place that is of any real consequence is Spain itself.

The SCX brand is so well-known in the rest of Europe and USA that it would make a lot of sense for these two companies to come to a sensible accommodation over Spain. Of course, if the SCX digital system were to lose them enough money, they might be more willing to talk to Scalextric or even become vulnerable to a takeover. Next year could prove extremely interesting with regard to the major manufactureres, not forgettting the partial breakup of Fly of last year and the inclusion of Scalextric track in certain Fly packages.

·
Premium Member
5,395 Posts
QUOTE ... not forgettting the partial breakup of Fly of last year...

Tinker. This is how rumours spread.

Great isn't it ?

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
It's ages since we had a good rumour!
Maye this is 'the big announcement' that everyone has been forecasting for Scalextric. They might have enough money in their piggy-bank this time!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Common sense says there has to already be a reasonably close relationship between Fly and Scalextric to have negotiated the inclusion of Scalextric track in certain Fly packages. On the other hand, one has to ask what Fly are playing at with their apparent duplication of Scaley's (excellent) year old GT40 efforts?

At present, Fly appear to be limited to making cars. But does anyone else remember the leaked pics of a Fly power transformer? The one that was dressed up to look like a grandstand or something similar. Anyone else remember the heavy and persistent rumors of Fly planning to produce their own 'black rail' track? I know 'someone' who 'says' they saw prototypes, but I'll take that with a pinch of salt. The track didn't happen but who is to say it can't at a later date?

The birth of VMG was definitely a direct result of top level management ructions within Fly at about the same time and the other Spanish new boys, Spirit, are rumored to have been a spin-off from that same brouhaha.

Scalextric have made no announcements with regard to their particular 'take' on digital control, yet SCX are forging ahead and look as though they may be first in the shop windows, ahead of Carrera, perhaps not by much.

All these Spanish connections are immensely intriguing!

·
Registered
773 Posts
...Meco, I've seen these dark rails - it's been in 2001. Pictures of the covered transformer are available on my HP bayond Messe 2003 -> Fly - feel free to incvestigate - and look also for elder pictures...
The cooperation between Fly and Scalex has a very simple reason - SclaextricUSA has been general importer of Fly for USA - but registered to a private person - who's now MD of Scalextric USA. As the IP-rights have been sold to Hornby together with the company, Scalextric got a lot of obsolete and excess stock from USA - which they sold via their shop-page.... lot's more to tell but no time...
Fly is not for sale - at the moment - and all these rumours are scrap

·
Registered
714 Posts
Thomas, I am glad you said "at the moment",
because EVERYTHING is for sale when the price is right!
Also glad you said, "Lots more to tell"!
Come on - find the time!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hi jexy,

I am going to Barcelona in January. Can you guide me in the direction of slot shops and tracks there ?

Cheers mate,

Gjb52

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here you go:

El Palau del Tren, Aribau 15, 08011 Barcelona
Slotmania, Carrier Muntaner 83
Kit Car 43, Rossello 308
Poly, Carrier Aribau 7
Palau, Pelai 34, 08001 Barcelona
Palau, Rda St. Antoni 61, 08011 Barcelona

There is another Palau, but i can't remeber the address, ask when you get there.

Apart from Kit 43 they are all pretty close to each other.

Gareth

1 - 14 of 14 Posts