SlotForum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI

I've been haunted for years by the idea of building decent looking 1/32 scale F1s of the sixties and seventies. Fitting a motor that has enough performance to make the things worth racing into those cigar tube bodies has always been the problem. The funny little Pink-Kar motors do actually fit some of the cars I have in mind (Lotus 49s, Cooper-Maseratis, H-16 BRMs, that sort of thing), but they have the torque of a sponge pudding. I notice though that some of the US HO manufacturers make 'hop-ups' for these little cans. Does anyone out there have any experience/thoughts about this, before I shell out on some unknown bits and pieces? Is there a problem getting pinion gears that will fit and mesh with the usual contrates? I even thought about building the cars with a gear train- an idler gear on a lay shaft between the motor pinion and axle, so that you end up with a small enough crown gear to fit discreetly under a 1/32 scale Cosworth engine. Is it worth the sruggle? I love the cars of this era, but hate seeing top-heavy models with bulging bodywork as much as I hate spending hours of work on a car that performs like a wet fish.

Any suggestions welcome.

· Registered
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow- Thanks everyone for your quick responses. This is great fun. The Electronics Goldmine looks fascinating- I'm going to spend a good time trawling through that site. As to the 13UO Monogram motor, I remember devoting many frustrating hours to trying to get that one to go. Hopeless magnets seemed to be the real limiting factor. I've tried sliding other mags into the case without success.
If I had a digital camera I'd love to be able to post pictures of work in progress, but have any of you got any nice F1s to show off? I'd love to see them and pick up any ideas.

Thanks again. This is a great forum!

· Registered
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I'm gobsmacked! Thanks everyone for the input, especially Russell. I'm going to set to work on one of those little mini-cans immediately, well, as soon as I can get hold of one. And maybe start on carving a little Lotus 25 to celebrate! Can I go on to ask what the SCI board is, as it sounds very useful, and does any one know how I might go about getting little windscreens vac-formed? Do any of the companies that do vac-formed bodies take on little jobs like that? I'm getting a bit bored scouring through waste bins for suitably shaped bits of packing. Or perhaps I'm being greedy here! Thanks for helping, anyway. This really is wonderful! If Santa brings me the digital camera I asked for, maybe I'll be able to show off the results.....

· Registered
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I seem to be asking a lot of favours here, but Russell, do you have a source for these 'FF030PA/PK' motors? I got all excited about trying your suggestions, but a search of the net has drawn a blank so far.
But thanks for all the advice so freely given so far!! If there's any one out there who's having trouble making an absolute pig's ear out of a scratchbuild, I have plenty of expertise to offer in that dept.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.