Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay.... what I wanted to write got a bit large cause I'm long-winded sometimes
so I put it on a web page. It isn't in techno-speak so I think it will be pretty easy to follow. You can find it at:

This location

I'm sure we haven't heard the last of this.... have we Inte?

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
As always, very useful mate. I `ve learned a heck of a lot last couple of weeks. good stuff

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Easy to say for a guy running a regulated supply...

Seriously, it isn't a bible on the subject, by any means, but I hope some of the stuff is clearer for many. More can be said, but if anyone is truly pushing the limits of this stuff at the clubs, I'd love to see numbers, measured as I suggested in the article.

·
John Roche
4,155 Posts
I know it's been discussed before (at SCI?) but I can't find it.

What are th pros & cons of using a computer power supply? I was recently given one rated at 12v/15 amps.

The other alternative i'm considering is a car battery and trickle charging.

I have a 4 lane track and run motors up to 16D or Group 20

Thanks

John

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
QUOTE What are th pros & cons of using a computer power supply? I was recently given one rated at 12v/15 amps.

John, first of all, this won't provide the power you need for cars like group 20s. For each car like that, figure on a supply that can output at least 5-8 amps per lane. Mine puts out 6 and can barely handle them, and chokes on anything hotter - okay because I don't run even those anyway! Not only is the computer supply underrated, but they have another drawback. Unless it is an old unit, it will be a switch-mode supply. Most switching supplies do not work properly in the slot car environment because they are designed to work with a constant load of some level - they don't react well when confronted with no-load situations and full-load situations when the load is also inductive (as with slot cars).

QUOTE The other alternative i'm considering is a car battery and trickle charging.

If you don't have access to a suitable electronic supply, this is the best alternative. Personally, I don't like batteries, and have justified reservations about them, but they can often be the most affordable and effective power source when you get into high-amp cars as you are. Just take all the right precautions if the batteries will be stored indoors. And look after them religiously.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
eh?

Nuro Jonnys tryin to be funny again please stop him..

erm, Diff you might have a point..

anyone see my attempt at hitting 3.9 in the no mag rally event on sat.?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts