SlotForum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Lots of good questions.

1. Should I power each lane with a separate power supply or can I power all four lanes with one supply????
I think you should use one 12 volt (or adjustable is even better but much more expensive) with at least 4 amps (1 amp per car). Many people like more voltage because it makes the cars a bit faster but I think it makes most current cars too jumpy and harder to control for beginners.
Note: on Sport track you may need to wire directly to the track to by-pass the terminal track because of how it is wired.

2. What power supplies are recommended for either scenario in question 1?
There are a lot that are available. I like to have an adjustable one becasue I can turn the power down for novices (it helps a lot) but this is rather expensive.

3. Pro's and Cons of (2) options in question 1....???
Did I answer this? The problem is all sets have power supplies that are barely adequate with voltage that is too high and amperage that is too low.

4. What is the maximum amperage I will need on each lane so that I am not limited on what cars I can run....
I think that 1 amp per car is adequate, but if you add a lot of strong traction magents you may need a lot more... a lot more.

5. How can I tell what amp requirments cars have??? i.e. do the manufacturers tell you on the package what the amperage requirments are??
Good question. I have measured the draw of some cars. The highest draw is at the start and afterward it is much less.
I have not seen anyone publish their amp requirements.

6. I saw some thing son attaching power to several locations on longer tracks....can someone explain the reason ( I assume it is because of the resistance increase in longer tracks). Also, how can I educate myself on those requirements.
You are correct on the reason, but I don't have any genral guidelines.

7. What is the deal with the ohm rating on the controllers?? (I know that it is resistance....but how does it effect "the race" or control of cars??)
The lower resistance gives a snappier or quicker response. Most of todays car operate good at 25 to 45 ohms.

8. Are there any good books out there that cover the technical apects of Slot Cars???
There are some books but they don't answer your question in a ver y straight froward manner.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts