SlotForum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I looked through the forums but could not find anything so I apologise if this has already been answered.

I have PB-Pro and an after markek power supply. Everything works really well and all cars run fast except, there are 2 cars a slotit skyline and a scaley F1 car if either comes off the track when you put it back on it shorts the power supply.

Any thoughts on waht could be causing this?

Paul

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
I would investigate the braids first.

Make sure that they are not longer than the guide; and neat with no stray whiskers that might get re-aligned and touch.

You might find it helpful to give your track a good work-over with a hoover.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked the braids and they look fine and have given the track a good vac.
We are racing tomorrow night so I will see if that helps. I also picked up some slot-it braid today and will change the braids all together if I still get those shorts.

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
hi
you dont say whether you have the sh board fitted or not.
if you do then the overload time and current is fully adjustable.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The problem was happening a lot more frequently on Friday night. There were 6 cars racing we could not get in a solid 35 laps withouth the power supply shorting.

Bigbird - I do have the sh board and adjusted the settings as I found them on another post. What settings would you recommend?

Just to be clear though, the powerbase is not overloading, the power supply is Power Supply. Could this be the problem?

·
Greg Gaub
14,648 Posts
Well, assuming you haven't set the SH overload max at more than 15 amps, it sounds like your power supply is going down. If it were all working properly, the base should hit overload before the PSU "shorts". If the base is set to less than 15amp for overload max, then the PSU is clearly having a problem supplying the amps that your cars are pulling. You can find out how much by going to the max amp screen on PB-Pro, and pressing the Start button. It will then show the max amps pulled at once and hold it. Just run all the cars and see how high it goes. That will be how much your PSU is having a hard time supplying. In any case, it's probably NOT 15 amps, and so your PSU should be replaced.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The notes on that powersupply say this:

short protection: it will reduce the output voltage down to 0.1v Amps down to 0.4Amps and the warning led will light up when short condition remove it will automatic restart the power supply to normal condition.
overload protection: same as above

So if the PB was set to a longer short-circuit timeout than the power supply uses, then the power supply will shut down first, no? SO, does the light on the powersupply come on?

TT

·
Greg Gaub
14,648 Posts
It's less the length of time than the number of amps. The length only matters when the number of amps is being exceeded. If the PB is set to max amps of less than 15, and a reasonable timeout, then the PSU should never get involved. Unless you have a LONG time on the PB and the PSU has an exceptionally quick short protector.
What is your PB-Pro set to for both max amps and overload time?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts