SlotForum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

very new to the hobby and after a little advice. I've bought the scxd pitbox and basic gt sets from the states and want to be able to run it from the get go(understandable)
should arrive in 4 weeks

buying from the states its my understanding that I will end up with 2 power suplies that won't fit aussie wall sockets. Should I buy replacements or converters off ebay and will I only need 2 to run the 6 cars.

I appreciate any help you can give me

cheers

·
Greg Gaub
14,653 Posts
You'll want 3 power supplies for 6 cars. It will WORK with 2, but you'll notice some fluctuation as some cars speed up or other situations where power draw is high for some cars.
As for convertors or Aussie type supplies, that's probably up to which is most economical.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
North American mains is a different voltage from Aus, so the plug not fitting aussie wall sockets is just one of your problems - you need a transformer as well.
The mains in UK and Europe are the same voltage as Aus (230 v), so it would be worth looking at buying from there rather than the states.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
While it used to be true that US vs UK/Europe/Rest of world voltage was an issue for power supplies, most makers found it was cheaper to create a product that could cope with both 110v and 220-240v and just hold one line of stock, rather than have to have two stock lines with different demand rates, shipping destinations, etc.

I don't have an SCX-D power plug to hand, but I'd check it to see whether it can cope with 110-230v input before considering the expense of an intermediate power converter.

But yes, you will need 3 for 6 cars. The docs in the sets should contain a rough table of how many power supplies versus how many cars and accessories if I remember correctly

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi guys

I've ended up buying 3 new aussie power supplies. this has sorted out all my problems.

thanks for your help on the matter

1 - 5 of 5 Posts