SlotForum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks

Just about to start adding power taps or even wiring pieces of track together to improve power distribution. Track has gradually increased to about 17m so it is time to address this properly.

Do you need to think of the tracks separately to preserve the analogue feature on C7042? Do you need to have one power loom for track 1 and another for track 2? What about a pit lane.

I don't have any CLCs to worry about, only XLCs.

Regards

Martin

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Mr. F.
You may want to explain what you mean by "looms" for those who have not done taps before.

Cheers!

(PS I think I know what you mean but I would like to be sure, too!)

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
If you only need one analog lane, then you don't need to wire separately, in my case I can use one car on both lanes, and that is enough for my purposes. If I had to lay down a new track I would probably separate the lanes, but now everything was already in place, and with 3 clc's I didn't bother to start separating.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replies.

I've decided to wire each track as a separate wiring circuit because I want to preserve the ability to race 2 car analogue. I think wiring loom comes from too many years fiddling about in real cars, but just refers to a wiring circuit. Each track piece will be wired to the next, with power taps every 5 or 6 pieces.

·
Circuit Owner
5,924 Posts
Hi Martin,

Wiring every track piece to the next and power tapping every 5-6 pieces is probably overkill. If you have the time and the patience and are absolutely sure of your layout then go for it.

If not then power taps every 8-10 pieces will probably be enough on their own without wiring each piece to the next.

If you track is sport track then you should turn each piece upside down on a hard surface and make sure the tabs by the side of the end of each power rail is pushed down tight - this improves the tightness of each physical connection. Here is a link to a very entertaining guide to how to do this Clickme

I used this technique on my portable track (link at the bottom of my posts) and put a power tap across every board join (which happens to be about 8-10 pieces of track per power tap). The track has been set up and taken down a few dozen times and I have never had power drop off issues. The track totals 20 metres.

I too kept the lanes wired separately so I can run both lanes on analogue (I can't see the point of chipping all my cars because digital racing needs robust cars you are happy to see bashed about by 5 other maniacs!)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mr Modifier

5-6 was probably a bit excessive, power taps will radiate from the APB to convenient points on the track, 8-10 is more realistic and less wire. It will look very much like yours, which has been a source of inspiration.

I have about 80% classic track, which is growing by the day as people keep giving me old sets they don't want. Cleaning the track is good, inox makes it better but I'm a bit paranoid about power issues so want to solder pieces together as a belt and braces approach. I'll start with the sections that are not going to change and see if it is manageable for the rest.

Will post some pictures in my thread when I do it.

Martin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts