SlotForum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As ever the quest for the ultimate race (which does not exist) continues.

Last nights efforts were to look at the effect of power level on lap times. The test track was extreemly small by some standards (APB R2R,4R2L, 3/1/3 St, 4R1L, R2L,R2R , about 2 3/4 St). Full power 962 Scaley about 3 sec. Full power Slot.it 956 2.4 sec. As pace car time is about 3.7 sec (RI makes for slow pace car). Power can be dropped (using driver function) to 60% and times drop only to about 2.5 sec. Of interest was that at the lower poer settings the car ran out of fuel much quicker than on full power. What does this tell us?

Clearly fuel burn is a fuction of trigger angle and hence at the low powers the fuel burn is higher as the trigger is at full power for much longer.
At the low powers the acceleration was slower, could be put on earlier with no wheel spin. i.e I am a lousy driver as I don't control the traction well enough.
Dropping power on the same car/tyre type is not a good differntiator on lap time on small tracks where power is not an issue.
Dropping to a scaley motor on slot.t was a good idea fo my small technical tracks.

hope this is of interest. PS this is unlikely to be fully applicable to large wide radii tracks where peak speed is critical on long straights.

·
Greg Gaub
14,966 Posts
My experience has been the same. Low power on short and/or technical tracks is an advantage. It makes the cars easier to control and you never really need the high speed that higher power levels give the car. High power and/or faster motors make sense on long/large tracks with lots of long straights and very few tight or technical turns. Thus, the car can be brought up to high speed often without having to brake too hard for turns. This is why there's no perfect car for all tracks. Cars designed or tuned to work well on technical tracks will suffer on speed tracks, and vice versa.

And yes, I've also witnessed fuel burning more at low power, since as you saw, the throttle is held at full much more than at higher power levels.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, how do i achieve the mythical American Le mans. 962's and slower but interesting saloon cars. Changing tyres seems to be the only option but to what. The scaley tyres go off quickly but unreliably, does not make for an interesting race. What Slot.it tyres are reliable but less grip than P6's on sport track? Not keen on upping weight much as though this might do something it could lead to more dammage, we are very definitely not world class drivers. How much weight would be needed to degrade performance?

·
WRP World Champ 2015/2016
4,281 Posts
I went to my first ral club meeting the other night and had a little dabble on some kindly loaned equipment.

The points in your first post, I'm with you 100% UshCha (what DOES that mean, by the way?) on the power reduction issue. Much smoother all around and better control on the tracks you describe.

What I'd like to add, is the the quality of the controller can also be a massive contributing factor. Now I readilly admit I'm always about to get around to fixing my Scaley throttles as advised on here, but I got to use a TruSpeed for the first time the other day. The first controller I was loaned was a very tired old work horse that did the job, but I was finding the loaned slot.it almost undriveable on Wye Valley's Aberstone circuit. Big Chris then kindly ofered me a loan of his TruSpeed - wow, what a revelation. I had far more feel and control of a car on the bends. Straights are easy, just pull back and think of glory, it's the twisty bits that are the trouble! I couldn't believe how much more incontrol I was with the same car on the same slot, just a very nicely balanced throttle. Chris was even clever enough to get my Mrs to drive some laps with it. that Christmas sorted out for me then!

Have a look at your throttle and do the mods with the spring, graphiting the post etc etc and see how much that improves things. If you can, then think seriously about going up to one of these decent throttles. I''m sure the old hands will talk you through whats what.

Thanks for starting an interesting thread :thumbs

·
Greg Gaub
14,966 Posts
Also why throttle curves can be so handy for SSD. It's great that Andy has had them in SSDC for so long. If only they could be assigned to a driver more easily.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts