SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Afer some time (couple of months) I finally lowered my racetrack again.

But as described in the topic title, I have a very strange behaviour of the PbPro+SH+A.
softw 1.8h SH+A

Everything seems to work normal, (that's the good news!;-) but,

When I plug in controller 1 the powerbase resets. (Start screen comes on+Red and GReen LEDS)
The red/green leds come on during the initialisation. Then they go out. (I seem to remember that at least the green one should be on. but not sure here) (when I start a race via the PB, the red light flashes (=ok) then the green light comes on to indicate the start of the race. But it extinguishes after say 5 to 10 seconds.

Tried different controllers, and aux cable (dis)connectes. but the result is always the same. every other but number one controller port does not generate a reset.
And there's the green led light deal...

When I first started the PB, and tried to set it from analog to digital (aparently left it in analog the last time used) I pressed the < and > buttons (I was not sure which I had to press any more) and I got the letters JS and white boxes in the display. Maybe that has something to do with it?

So hopefully Rich or Riko or Andy, or anybody else can help me here....

Regards,
Martin

·
Premium Member
2,000 Posts
Martin, I have experienced this very same thing regarding pb restarting when id 1 is plugged in with both my pb`s. I have flagged it up here before and so have others. I do not remember gettting an answer as to why this occurs! The only thing I can say is it doesn`t seem to have any other detremental effect to the pb, its just annoying.

Dave

·
Registered
325 Posts
Thanks for your answers guys.

But Dave what about the green LED? I seem to remember that it used to be on...(it was always off when changing some program settings in the PB, and when programming was ended, the green LED came back on to indicate that the PB was feeding voltage to the track again...)

Jamie did you find the cause of it?

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
hi
could try re-flashing firmware

ran my pbpro for many hours without seeing this problem.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I will do that, but I will need to writedown all my settings beforehand I guess, else I have to reinvent the wheel again...

Been doing some more driving today, and it is pumping out random car 1 trackcalls about every other lap (all by itself, not pressing the button...) , it's getting almost undriveable!

·
Greg Gaub
14,652 Posts
I've seen this happen from time to time.
As I recall, it was decided by those who know more (Rich, Riko, Andy, et al), that there is some kind of programmed reset. The theory is that it was put there by the developers so that they could more easily reset it without going though button combos and other such things. All they need to do is plug in a resistor of the appropriate value.
The problem is that a small percentage of controllers have a tendency to match that resistance, and so when you plug them in, the base resets.
It only seems to work for controller 1, though.
The solution, then, is to try all your controllers in controller 1's jack to make sure you have one that will never do it. Then, set that one up as controller 1, presumably by swapping the color plates.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Thanks Greg,

I reloaded the software, and it seems more stable now (no more auto trackcalls). Gotta do some more racing though to check it out. Still the occasional reset when #1 is plugged in.
And no green light during use. (can somebody confirm the green led should be on indeed during normal operation.)?

The answer you gave me Greg leads me to believe that I have possibly created this myself by pushing some button combination ( < and > ) when trying to set the PBPro from analog to advanced, and then getting JS [] [] [] [] [] in the display.
Maybe (hopefully!) the usual suspects
("those who know more"...) can help me get the regular settings back. (even via PB if so desired...)

Best regards,
Martin

PS. as for the controller swapping, that's a difficult one, since I have the (excellent!) Truspeed digital controllers, and they all output exactly the same values...

·
Greg Gaub
14,652 Posts
Interesting. I wouldn't have expected that problem with better controllers. They're not indestructible, though. Give them a clean on the wiper and contacts, and if you haven't already, try a less used controller in port 1. Couldn't hurt to try, eh?

I don't recall ever seeing a way to disable that "feature" though. It wasn't something anyone knew how to enable or disable, as far as I know.

As for the lights on the PB, I fired mine up just now to see (couldn't remember) and I get both lights on during bootup, then both go off. No lights at all until I started a race, when it would flash the red light with the beeps, then switch to green when the race starts, which would then turn off a few seconds later. That's the only time I saw the lights do anything, but I could not run laps and see the lights at the same time as my driver stations are on the other side of the table. I'm running the latest C703 PB-Pro firmware as far as I know.

·
Digital &quot;Tea Boy&quot;
777 Posts
Same here....but my latest Truspeed on a APB is NOT doing it....

·
Registered
325 Posts
Well, the "workaround" is that I switched to being #2, and we don't use #1. So no more powerbase resets. But many times we do have on #2 now the "longtone" of trackcall (when the button is pushed by me) and immediately the trackcall is ended again (as if you'd press the trackcall button and immediately press both the trackcall and lanechange after)...
(Icleaned and lubed the Truspeed, but no difference...)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maybe "the usual suspects" can chime in with some suggestions, as it seems to me that these problems only started recently, I don't recall any troubles in the past...
Thanks !

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
hi
digital section is ultra quiet at the mo,i would suggest giving richg a pm with the fault and describe what you have done so far to eliminate it....

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE (bigbird @ 5 Nov 2011, 12:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>hi
digital section is ultra quiet at the mo,i would suggest giving richg a pm with the fault and describe what you have done so far to eliminate it....

Good idea Ade!
I'll get right to it, thanks

Martin

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
There is a susceptible track under control 1 socket. If it is blown then you will not be able to ID cars on that throttle with the brake button, so check that first.

The other thing is that the sockets are not brilliant, and if you bend the centre contact it could short.

Should be fixable. Is it a RichG one or one of mine? (Mine have stickers on)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Riko,

The ID'ing of #1 works fine, so I think it rules that out...

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Martin PM'd me and I sugested the usual reset the Powerbase to defaults, try without the PC connected and try a different controller things, however those do not seem to have fixed it, so may as well persue this one in the thread so we can all work on it.

Ok if I have understood this correctly there are two problems.

1) Powerbase reboots when controller 1 is plugged in.

2) Random track calls from controller 1.

Now the first of these we have definitely had before. I do not think we ever got to the bottom of it, however it will not be a deliberately programmed thing. Remeber this is PB-Pro code so AndyS worked it all up from scratch. Anyone got links to any earlier mentions, with any more info?

Unfortunately I cannot replicate the problem here. I have tried plugging in with a resistance box in place of the controller, and tried a wide range of values. I feel that there must be a specific resistance range that the controller needs to on to trigger it? As this is a Truespeed controller that is perhaps a very low value, lower than a Scalextric controller usually gets to? Martin am not sure if you have any Scalextric controllers you can try?

Does it happen in both Digital & Analog Mode?

How "reliably" does it reset when plugging in the controller. If it's very reliable can you try plugging in with a small amount of throttle applied?

On the track call problem, assuming the controller and socket connections are fine, am uncertain what would cause this? I Feel there must be a connection between the two problems? Track call uses the Brake button which switches in the 18K resistor?

Ok just had a thought while typing this and went back to the Powerbase to try plugging in controller 1 with Track Call Enabled and immediately I am getting the reset problem. Only does it with a controller which will get to between 0 & 2 Ohms at minimum throttle, which most Scalextric throttles will not get to. I guess this is as simple as a bug in Andy's code?

Will investigate further....

Rich

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
QUOTE (RichG @ 7 Nov 2011, 10:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>...Ok just had a thought while typing this and went back to the Powerbase to try plugging in controller 1 with Track Call Enabled and immediately I am getting the reset problem. Only does it with a controller which will get to between 0 & 2 Ohms at minimum throttle, which most Scalextric throttles will not get to. I guess this is as simple as a bug in Andy's code?

Will investigate further....

Rich

Hi Rich,

I will hookup a multimeter to the Truspeeds tomorrow to see what the resistance values are. The regular Scaley controllers do not randomly trackcall as far as I can remember (not done enough driving with a Scaley on #1 to be 100% sure, but it looked that way on the laps I when I did drive it)

Thanks for your help and assistance!

Martin

1 - 20 of 24 Posts