SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
I was recently asked if I could upgrade quite an old Arc-Pro to v0.4 and ensure that it had all the latest bits on it ..........

Circuit component Passive circuit component Hardware programmer Electronic engineering Electronic component

The main circuit board was removed from it's casing and setup ready for inspection prior to starting the conversion work ....

Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Electronic engineering Electronic component

checking the resistors R14 and R15 left me a little bit puzzled as these were supposed to read 222 not 511 ....

Passive circuit component Circuit component Green Hardware programmer Electronic engineering

the printing on the PCB revealed the PB was already on v0.4 ...... my suspicions are that the board is dated as 12th Feb, 2018 ...

Oh well ... close, but no cigars for me this time ....
sad.png

Attachments

Reactions: IainBru and Ade

·
Prof I T
11,171 Posts
Hi

confirmed with the owner that he purchased this base and another one soon after release, so 0.4 is not that new after all
question.gif

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for confirming that Ade ....... :thumbsup:

All I need to do now is to negotiate the joys of the App Store and download the latest and greatest firmware ........ :lmfao:

Reactions: Ade

·
Prof I T
11,171 Posts
Hi

it would appear it may be prudent to examine your Arc P. .. board before ordering parts or rushing out to buy a new one as these 0.4 versions have been out for sometime..
thumbsup.gif

Greg I put a link in the Arc-P .... forum
thumbsup.gif

·
Administrator
10,133 Posts
Have we got a map of the changes?

My one is V0.3_20160811. And as it was launched for Christmas, the 8th of November seems a bit tight to get to market. So I'm going with 11th August, which makes the V0.4 12th Feb last year as you said
thumbsup.gif

wacko.png
not sure I like this new edited by thing being emblazoned (below) when I'm only tweaking the text...

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I have this note here:

"arc pro powerbases with this batch code and higher will have the voltage polarity mods done:

1418REF01

14 is the week of the year (March), so any number larger than 14 will have this mod.

And any with ~22 (June) and higher should also have a small mod to help improve reliability in car ID pickup while pressing the lane change button of the hand controller."

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Circuit component Passive circuit component Green Hardware programmer Electronic engineering

These arrows mark obvious design layout changes from earlier PCBs.

Attachments

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Today I have received two C7042s, via the Royal Mail, that a member wants me to apply Colin's Power Mod and to fix anything that I find wrong with them along the way.

Euuuuuugh ...... the box was humming and I dreaded opening it ........ being an ex-smoker, the smell of very stale smoke was overwhelming. So I took them outside and opened the box .... it was bad, very bad. The plastic shells were stripped off and immediately put into a basin of hot water and detergent. The gubbins were placed in a large air-tight plastic box with several sheets of tumble-drier freshener and placed in the shed were they will languish for a few days.

The shells started off as very grubby and grimy specimens but after a good soak and scrub they are no longer malodorous ......
smile.png

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Has anyone noticed any intermittent problems with the Arc-Pro and inserting the PSU?

I have just had one sent to me and the connection is certainly less than robust .....
unsure.png

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nearly ....... the socket.

The anatomy of the socket is a central pin that carries the +ve bits and a kind of springy plate that connects up the -ve bits. The -ve plate is at the bottom of the socket so if you do not push the plug in squarely, the springy bit gets flattened.

This one seems to have a bit of a misalignment of of the aperture in the case and the socket such that the plug does not insert squarely consequently flattening the springy part down. The fix was to insert a dental probe under the spring and raise it up again which was not easy as the socket is fully enclosed.

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Returning to the reeking APBs mentioned in post #8, I tentatively removed one from the sealed box ...... it wasn't much better than when it first went in more than a week ago!

As part of the upgrade, one of the power sockets needs to be removed so that the power does not enter the PCB at the designed point but further into the PCB via an extra wire.

Gas Machine Auto part Automotive tire Metal

This is the socket ...... it should be black with shiny metal pieces within the aperture. It is coated with nicotine which, I am pretty certain, is not a reliable conductor of DC voltages.

Brown Wood Beige Rectangle Khaki

This is a tumble dryer sheet that has been in contact with a track piece ........ In some ways it reminds me of the Holy Shroud of Turin .... :eek:

More horrors to follow .......
yikes.gif
ph34r.png

Attachments

·
Administrator
10,133 Posts
This is the socket ...... it should be black with shiny metal pieces within the aperture. It is coated with nicotine which, I am pretty certain, is not a reliable conductor of DC voltages.
Cheers mate, just spat my coffee out laughing. Brilliant.

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
What a difference a good dunking in a solution of ammonia and citric acid does .......

Camera lens Cameras & optics Camera accessory Film camera Lens

Who would have known it was the same socket as in the previous post .......
smile.png

Onto the details of the modifications .....

Circuit component Green Passive circuit component Electronic instrument Hardware programmer

Modifications made to the routing for the track-power ....

Water Liquid Line Wood Font

The new cable attached to re-route the track power .... the mottling on the PCB is due to nicotine .....
unsure.png

Circuit component Passive circuit component Green Electronic instrument Hardware programmer

The new wire attached to the leg of the socket, now not directly attached to the PCB ....

Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Electronic component Electronic engineering

The last piece of the jigsaw ... Doubling up on the resistors by adding R01Fs on top of the existing ones. To facilitate this, a couple of drops of CS-HYPO cement was applied to the lower resistor, the new one carefully placed on top and the glue was allowed to set firm before applying solder to firm up the joints.

Attachments

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is one of the base-plates for the pungent powerbases ........

Wood Composite material Rectangle Gas Automotive exterior

Attachments

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
OMG are those white lines seriously from nicotine or snorting cocaine? How many **** had this guy had to make the APB stink of ****.

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
All of them ........ :yikes:

Reactions: Ade and Orc Slayer

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Thanks to everyone who have asked me if I would look at their powerbases ........ I will, but not the 4-car version.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts