SlotForum banner
161 - 168 of 168 Posts

·
Greg Gaub
15,413 Posts
I guess the only potential concern is whether it functions with the earlier version v0.3 of the ARC PRO that has the polarity reversed for one of the lanes. So long as you pick up the rail power as per K3iths original photos all should be fine for v0.3.
Worthy of note. Thanks, Clive.

It's good that the circuit is not trying to guess the polarity, but simply channeling the power from one rail to the flipper based on which rail was the one chosen at the time of the crossing of the sensor. This is probably something to keep in mind for anyone who is looking into using this circuit for future 1/64 SSD systems, since the cars are much smaller, and the following car might change the flipper polarity by the time the leading car reaches is. So, maybe hold off on this mod if you're considering it for 1/64 SSD. ;-)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hello all, new forum member here. Back to scalextric after a 20 year gap, wow.. things have moved on.
Ive ordered a pile of relays to do this live flipper mod which is beautifully simple in its design, but I have one question Ive not seen an answer to :
My grandson and I use analogue as well as digital, far too many cars to digitise them all.
How will this live flipper mod interact with PB-pro in analogue mode ? The startup position of flippers in analogue can be a bit erratic and I usually just manually position them all, but then I wonder what voltage would be or not on the flipper. The easy answer is to assume it wouldnt work and have a master switch and a bank of single pole relays to isolate the flippers in analogue.
Pearls of wisdom appreciated.
Thanks Loz

·
Digital Guru
11,201 Posts
Hopefully Rikorocket will spot this as he is one of the original pbpro team and has also done this flipper mod countless times and has a video covering it so more than qualified to help..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ade, thanks for the response, as yet no one has stepped in . meanwhile, i've concluded that there might be potential for a short-circuit so i've wired all me XLCs with an external loop of wire on the flipper connection for a master relay board i am building. This will allow me to disconnect the flipper from the "live flipper relay" and move it to the right position for analogue racing .

I've just started studying the CLC solution, which is beautifully thought out ( hats off to K3ith ) and it has raised another question for me ref the operation of the XLCs.

I understand exactly the need for the removal of 2 small rail sections on the CLC "exit" flipper, and I'm clear why it isn't needed on the "entry" flipper.

My next question is this : Is there the potential for a short on the XLC if 2 cars on the same rail are very close together ? if the second car choses the opposite direction before the first car has cleared the flipper, the flipper polarity will change and the first car braid will bridge between the flipper and the exit rail. That will be a transient short wont it ?

Either I am wrong, which has to be the case but I cant see my mistake, or there is something built into the Scalextric flipper control logic which timer inhibits the second car taking a different direction to the first .

I say this because otherwise by now people would have burnt out a lot of relay contacts and it would be all over this thread .

That said, In theory, this short circuit could also happen if a car was stopped with its braid bridging the flipper to the exit rail and another car triggered a flipper change.to straight on ?

help please, i'm starting to suffer self-doubt !!

Loz

·
Banned
6,578 Posts
I believe powering down the flippers for analog use makes good sense... particularly as the hardware/firmware used in XLCs/CLCs is know to create brief lanechange pulses during power-up and these may trigger the latching relays.

On the second point...

Maybe the way to think of it is that the liven flipper is solving the problem of slow cars getting stuck on non-powered flippers. And, in addressing the challenge of livening the flippers, efforts should be made to minimise the potential for short circuits... but that in practice this is about minimising rather than totally eliminating potential for shorts. The two-cars-in-proximity scenario does sound like it could cause brief shorting of the rails... however this shouldnt happen very often and hence would be barely noticeable while racing. It might however very slightly shorten the life of the relays as they would see a full system short circuit all-be-it very briefly.

Happy to be corrected on any/all of above.

c

·
Administrator
10,170 Posts
My next question is this : Is there the potential for a short on the XLC if 2 cars on the same rail are very close together ? if the second car choses the opposite direction before the first car has cleared the flipper, the flipper polarity will change and the first car braid will bridge between the flipper and the exit rail. That will be a transient short wont it ?
Potentially yes. Practically it would be no worse that the bridge you got on the original XLCs as you passed over the cross in the middle. It could create a spike on the rails, but the chances of this happening are very remote. Not quite flight safety probabilities, but getting up that way. Apologies LTA, just picked up your message.

161 - 168 of 168 Posts