SlotForum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
just a quick question I just about to do some powertaps on my new layout its about 30m's long
how many do I need to put in?
as does it matter how there wired ?
ie same lane or even same side of track ?
I know when I had analogue this was the case is it still the same with digital?
regards ade

·
Registered
53 Posts
I was about to ask this question myself staglinger

I have recently bought a pack of two Scalextric power booster cables (C8248) for my Scalextric Digital layout but I'm baffled as to how to connect them.

Each lane in my layout is around 50 ft long. I am losing power at certain parts of the layout, mid-way point onwards typically.

The instruction leaflet for the Scalextric power booster cables is next to useless and, if followed for a Digital layout, they simply do not work. I have the 6-car APB and it switches into safe mode if I connect them as per the instructions.

I read over on the SCI forum that you have to connect these booster cables differently on a Digital layout. I get the reason why but I still can't figure out how to do it

Also, I plan to run some non-chipped anolog cars on the same layout but as I have curved lane changers in place I have to either replace these with standard track pieces (which is just too much hassle) or modify the track pieces for when running in Analog Mode (that's the option I will go for, even though it voids the warranty - simply can't be bothered to replace sections of track in between digital and analog racing).

So, I need to be able to boost the power to my Digital layout but not have to re-connect the booster cables when I run in Analog mode because of the mods I will make to the CLC track pieces.

Oh boy, I'm now more confused than ever

Can someone provide the answers here?

·
Registered
53 Posts
QUOTE (staglinger @ 3 Jun 2011, 09:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi all
just a quick question I just about to do some powertaps on my new layout its about 30m's long
how many do I need to put in?
as does it matter how there wired ?
ie same lane or even same side of track ?
I know when I had analogue this was the case is it still the same with digital?
regards ade

Here's what I got from the SCI forum re power booster cables but I still can't make sense of it (especially when modding CLCs for analog mode as per my 1st post in the thread).

For non-digital tracks:

All the lane 1 posative rails connections are connected together, but not connected to anything else.
All the lane 2 negative rails connections are connected together , but not connected to anything else.
And so on for all the lanes.

For digital tracks:

All the negative rails connections are connected together, but not connected to anything else.
All the posative rails connections are connected together, but not connected to anything else.

·
Andrew Wallace
1,100 Posts
If you want to run analog, then treat it like analog. Take a feed from the track piece near the powerbase - you will end up with 4 cables. This is +ve and -ve for both lane 1 and lane 2. Now you need to connect these to leads coming from the same lanes and polarity from around the track. As long as you make all the other changes (i.e. set flippers and mod CLC and XLC) then you can run both analog and digital with the power taps still connected.
If you connect all the +ve rails and all the -ve rails, it will work in digital, but you won't be able to run analog.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi andy
thanks I've done it the same as ang not that I will run non dig it was the safest way I thought.
so how many on my layout then 30m's?

·
Registered
53 Posts
QUOTE (awallace @ 3 Jun 2011, 11:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If you want to run analog, then treat it like analog. Take a feed from the track piece near the powerbase - you will end up with 4 cables. This is +ve and -ve for both lane 1 and lane 2. Now you need to connect these to leads coming from the same lanes and polarity from around the track. As long as you make all the other changes (i.e. set flippers and mod CLC and XLC) then you can run both analog and digital with the power taps still connected.
If you connect all the +ve rails and all the -ve rails, it will work in digital, but you won't be able to run analog.

OK, so I think I'm getting this now.

I connect the Scalextric booster cables to the track exactly as shown in the instruction leaflet that came with them, with the proviso being that I make the mods to XLC and CLC first to enable digital and analog operation using the C7042.

That makes sense.

But do I actually need 4 cables? I'm assuming you mean 4 cable connections to the track as each Scalextric booster cable has two female spade connectors at each end (red and green for +ve and -ve)?

My layout is around 50ft long so I would have thought a single set (pair) of booster cables would be sufficient.

·
Registered
53 Posts
QUOTE (Trev @ 3 Jun 2011, 12:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi

I have 1 power tap every 20 or so track joints and it works fine.

I also clean the track with a damp cloth and inox the rails and track joints regularly

Trev

With multiple power taps, do they have to be connected from the power base area out, or in series? (hope that makes sense!)

Also, I have been looking for some suitable Inox product after reading about it being good for cleaning Scalextric rails and track joints. Would this be suitable?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WERA-Stainless-Steel...=item3ca1072cbd

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
QUOTE (kipper15 @ 5 Jun 2011, 11:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>With multiple power taps, do they have to be connected from the power base area out, or in series? (hope that makes sense!)
Yes it does make sense. Either way will work. Connecting each tap from the power base will work better.

The purpose of power taps is to reduce the electrical resistance between the power supply and the car.
The best way to lay out taps depends on the layout of the track.
With wiring, shorter is better. For example halving the length of a piece of wire halves its resistance.
On a layout where half way round the lap is physically close to the power base, then a short tap direct from power base to track will reduce the resistance to that part of the track much more than several longer lengths of wire in series. Another tap direct to quarter way round the track will help there etc.

·
Registered
201 Posts
QUOTE (kipper15 @ 5 Jun 2011, 12:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>With multiple power taps, do they have to be connected from the power base area out, or in series? (hope that makes sense!)

Also, I have been looking for some suitable Inox product after reading about it being good for cleaning Scalextric rails and track joints. Would this be suitable?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WERA-Stainless-Steel...=item3ca1072cbd

I am not familiar with this cleaner so I cannot say.

If you could get hold of some Inox I would definately recomend it. It is not so much a cleaner as a protective coating and makes the cars go faster for sure.

http://www.jaycar.co.uk/productView.asp?ID...mp;form=KEYWORD

It can be tricky to get hold of tho

Trev

·
Registered
201 Posts
QUOTE (kipper15 @ 5 Jun 2011, 12:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>With multiple power taps, do they have to be connected from the power base area out, or in series? (hope that makes sense!)

I run a line out from the powerbase to a suitable central point to 2 earth blocks, and then take the powertaps to where they are required from there.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/8-way-earth-block/11385

This does the job for me.

Trev

·
WRP World Champ 2015/2016
4,279 Posts
QUOTE (awallace @ 3 Jun 2011, 10:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>...... As long as you make all the other changes (i.e. set flippers and mod CLC and XLC) then you can run both analog and digital with the power taps still connected.

Andy, I have bog standard XLC (i.e. I haven't done the live "frog" mod) - will I be ok to run taps as long as I keep the flippers set to straight through position? If not, could you point me in the general direction of any mode I need to make. Ta.

QUOTE (Trev @ 3 Jun 2011, 11:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I also clean the track with a damp cloth and inox the rails and track joints regularly

Trev, how do you Inox the joints? Do you seperate them and apply, or just drip it onto the joints from above?

·
Registered
201 Posts
QUOTE (snurfen @ 9 Jun 2011, 15:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Trev, how do you Inox the joints? Do you seperate them and apply, or just drip it onto the joints from above?

Hi, I dont separate the track, I just dampen a cloth with Inox and wipe over the rails, rubbing over each joint a few times to work it in.
Don't use too much Inox though, it only need a light rub.

After a couple of weeks I vacuum the track, give it a wipe over with a damp cloth (water) and then re-apply Inox.

A drop on each car braid every couple of weeks also helps.

Just dont use too much Inox or it can make the cars stutter.

Trev

·
Greg Gaub
14,653 Posts
I don't even put on that much. I learned from the Pro, BillyCart, that less than less is best. I haven't treated my track in months, and it still works great. The only time I put INOX to rail OR braid is when a car DOES stutter. Then, a drop on each braid usually does the trick. In my garage, it's the tires that normally do track cleaning. ;-) Sometimes I'll take a rag around the whole track before a race, but just a dry one to take up any dust or carbon build up. Even after that I don't apply more. The treatment just lasts and lasts.
Next step for my track is power taps and other continuity improvements, which INOX cannot fix.

·
Registered
53 Posts
QUOTE (Porsche Racer @ 9 Jun 2011, 20:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Does anyone have a picture of how the scalextric booster cables are installed?

A picture is worth a thousand words.

It's a bit crude but take a look at this, I did this for my layout. Hopefully you can see where the green and red wires go, if you're not sure due to my poor MS Paint skills, just ask

Edit: Should add that although this is a digital layout, I do also run analog mode from the APB hence the modded CLCs and power booster cables connected as if using all-analog setup, which enables you to run digital or analog with no changes to the power booster cable connections.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts