SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Hi all,

Here is my version of a Le mans pit area that I've been working on for a few weeks now. Its designed to be robust enough to be moved around and also house some of my ever growing collection of cars....

First a prototype to determine size without being to big...

I've used 6mm MDF which seems to be a nice scale thickness.
Once happy with the overall size and shape, I machined some more MDF and dry assembled....

I made some jigs to machine the shapes easier and ensure they were all the same...

Next thing to do was to decorate, to help with this I designed a printed off some self adhesive A4 sheets with various logo's and textures...

Now its painted, assembled and decoration applied...

What was important for me was is that it was robust enough to be moved around, as I don't have a permanent layout, and it could store some of my slot car collection, which is why the 1st floor is actually a set of drawers to store either my cars, figures or spares etc...

I've still to finish the top level and add some proper seating and advertising boards etc, I'm also working on a le mans start section to go between pits and track. Hope you enjoy the photo's...
Regards,
Marlon.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Looks very good!!! Keep us updated!!!

Very good idea to keep your cars in there too...

Greetz

Gunne

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
wow what a fabulous pitstop/storage solution! Looks brill as a pitstop, and looks like you have engineered it really well

Let me know when you are taking orders for them!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Excellent and great craftsmenship! Are you able to do this in 1/24th, too?

And if, at which cost?

All the best,

Markus

·
Alan Tadd
4,030 Posts
Excellent Marlon.....Looks really good. Decals are very well done.

Nice to see the Le Mans winning 917 as well, I still haven't found one at a decent price!.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Really nice solution, I like the idea of using mdf to give the structure some longevity..............now if only i'd paid attention in woodwork class

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all your comments, really appreciate it.

Steve, the templates are cut from 12mm MDF, I just used a jigsaw and finished with a file.

The jigs are extra work but are worth it to ensure all the walls are exactly the same. Also makes it easy to build another one (space permitting) in the future.

The actual shapes were then cut using my 1/4" router with a 16mm guide attached to the base. All the routing was done with a 1/4" bit, this allowed for 6mm MDF plus the paint on final assembly.

Regards,
Marlon.

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's an update on my 'retro' Le mans pit area...

The pit lane/ start area is made from 6mm MDF painted matt black, the lane marking was done with 3mm wide car stripe from local motor spares shop, and then a couple of coats of matt varnish applied to seal it all in...
This has made a real difference to my non-permanent layout and certainly adds an extra dimension to my home slot racing

Apologies for the size of the photo's, haven't got round to working out how to resize them yet.
Regards,
Marlon

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Great job MAF!

This looks very good with the matching cars in the picture!!!

Keep up the good work!

I also felt a difference when I first had a piece of scenery next to my non-permanent track... strange ha... Makes you wanne make more I bet!

Greetz

Gunther

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Just wanted to add to previous compliments, it does look superb.

The Decal paper is a great idea, completely forgot about that type of paper - a great solution, love the decal work and textures, that must have taken some time!

Nice collection of cars and never apologise for big pictures of this quality (my pics are usually too big and shite).

A great post and one to be saved for reference.

Best regards,

Jamie.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Marlon,

That is OUTSTANDING! Very nice work sir, and quite clever.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts