SlotForum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the talk about the new Scalextric "Classic" GP cars (which I can't wait to purchase), I have to say that Mac Pinches has done a superb job with his Pre-Add Series 3 kits. I just received the Ferrari Lancia D50 and the Mercedes W196 kits and they are amazing!

The resin work on these shells is extremely well done. I have his Talbot Lago kit and while I was impressed with that shell, it's obvious with Series 3 that Mac keeps improving his work. Everything, including the vents and the rivets are all displayed in detailed and convincing fashion. I only hope that I can finish these cars in a way that does Mac's work justice. He certainly gives you a nice canvas to work with.

I'm 34 and live in the U.S., but for some reason I've always loved the look of these cars. They just have a special place in my heart, despite the fact they raced well before my time. I'm envious of those of you who have seen these race/run in person.

Anyway, I can't wait to get to work on my Lancia and Mercedes. And, I highly recommend these kits to anyone who likes the Cartrix or Scalextric versions of these types of cars. For those of you like me who live in the U.S., Mac is easy to work with and will help ya out. And, nope, Mac didn't pay me for this.

Steve

·
Alan Tadd
4,038 Posts
Couldn't agree more Steve. Mac's cars are superb.

I've started late on this series and have only got the first two cars from the first series, so I've got a bit of catching up to do.

Regards

Alan

·
John Roche
4,210 Posts
I agree totally with the above posts. The Kits are really good value and go together so easily that even I can make them look good.

John

G

·
I still think the Maser sport car he built as a rail car is his best looking car but I really like all his kits. Some of which will be in the museum display in the future.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Greta looking kits, never looked at these before, but very nice!

One quick question, which wheels are shown in all the photos?

Gareth

·
John Roche
4,210 Posts
Hi Gareth,

I don't know which wheels Mark uses but I'm pretty sure Mac uses Ninco but with different tyres (? Ortman) that he can supply.

John

·
Premium Member
4,791 Posts
Oh my stars... here I was happily letting the world go by and tinkering with the ever-expanding fleet of Scaley NASCARs.

So, having got the bodies, which engines, chassis and running gear should you use?!?

I can't believe it... the prospect of Varzi vs. Brauchisch vs. Chiron looms large, expensive and wonderful!!!

·
Premium Member
4,791 Posts
Okay, so having just about got to the end of the yellow brick road in building a field of my favourite contemporary NASCARs, I now find that it's possible to build a field of my beloved pre-war Grand Prix cars.

Very exciting - and financially very scary! Especially as I won't rest until I've got about a dozen of the things (22 NASCARs and counting).

First off there are these mega Mac Pinches shells, for which it seems you go off and source chassis, wheels, tyres, motor and running gear.

Now, though, I find that Patto offers entire kits, which for a novice builder look very appealing - if they're on a par with Mac's craftsmanship. Having used Patto's NASCAR decals I'm sure that they'll be pukka, but Mac's are

Now on the question of skill:

Basically so far I've built a reasonably convincing old school Cal-look VW Beetle through the unholy union of an Airfix body and a trimmed Scalextric Caterham - which produced authentic Beetle handling with a front-engined layout!! Now I entertain myself by resculpting the noses of Scalextric Tauruses into Dodge Intrepids and turning Scalextric Pontiacs into Chevy Monte Carlos.

None of this really counts as scratchbuilding, though, so counsel is sought: has anyone tried both routes - Mac and Patto? Has anyone got pix of Patto's cars?

All help gratefully received!

·
mac pinches
2,154 Posts
driver#8 the MRRC slinline or clubman is a good base to work from, most of it is done for you but you also have some input{half way house to scratching} the wheel i use are ninco classic,s with Ortmann pre and post war tyres, plus mabuchi type motors up to evo 3 cheers mac p

·
Registered
876 Posts
"driver#8" - Like you, I too am hooked on NASCAR...but with the vintage Carrera's. I recently got the Scalextric Classic GP's and though I have seen and very much liked Sir Mac's great renditions of the even older classics a while ago I wasn't quite ready for them...however, the Scalextric GP's have lit a fire in me for them...and cost be damned, but then, the quality is very much worth the price.

As to "running gear" for them - if Scalextric comes out with replacement wheels/tires for their GP's soon - then I'd suggest getting the "cheap" Scalextric Indy cars (or F3000 versions), they're well under $20.00 and you can easily "slice & dice" the chassis to fit. I've used them for my Lexan bodied Legend cars and for my Eldon roadsters and they work very well...and if you like your cars "lightly magged" they're fantastic.

·
Premium Member
4,791 Posts
Thanks Da Vols, that's quite a plan. I had a couple of the Carrera NASCARs by the way, which came with my base set (Winged Warriors), but had to sell them to part-fund the track. They do look awesome though.

Actually I've got a couple of the latest Scalextric Indycars (white ones that I've made into the Marlboro Penske and Team Green 7-Eleven cars that had the controversial 1-2 in 2002).

I know that the Dallara is a cheap and cheerful model but I'd still struggle to put them under the knife! Mac suggested the slim MRRC chassis which Pendle's got for £8.25, then it's down to the engine, gears and wheels.

Reckon you're right that maybe the parts for Scalextric's new classic GPs would work. I think the Nonco classic wheels and tyres look a bit bulky on them - or maybe BWA will have something suitable?!?

I can't wait to get started that's for sure. For now, though, I'm going to finish off my NASCARs and decide which ones I can live without (sniff sniff)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts