SlotForum banner
121 - 140 of 169 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,925 Posts
A little video of the Mad Jack race taken at Donington in 2019. Video is full HD so full screen is best. Yes that is rain on the camera lens at the end which slowed the field down quite a bit.

The cars running...
View attachment 287223

·
Registered
9,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
Keith

Many thanks for your Donington video above. Most enjoyable. Wonderful cars with which I've been well acquainted for far too long.

It has to be admitted, however, that some old cars built before the War weren't awfully good. Youngsters wouldn't believe how ill-mannered some were. For example, a Lagonda I drove a few years ago reminded me of a Grey Fergie minus a front wheel.

An MG was similar to a bareback ride on a bovine bull that had spent a couple of hours imbibing with uncle Bonkers. Always something to be learned about cars, eh?

·
Premium Member
2,925 Posts
I can't be seen in the video but a quick walk through the paddock and you can spot the serious racers from the 'I'm here to enjoy running this old classic'. Just like with our slot cars some are on the correct size, width, tyres and others are running with much wider tyres.

·
Premium Member
2,925 Posts
Probably why banked curves were so popular. As I understand it a car going around the banking is pushed down against the track which should increase grip and help offset the hard suspension of the older cars and make them less bouncy. The down side being the tendency for the car to also be pushed outward but I suppose that is why most banking gets steeper to the outside to try and cancel this effect. If you're going fast enough you can stay put on vertical curved surface, otherwise known as a wall of death.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I feel badly for those that got hurt or lost their lives in that video. It's part of the risks of going too fast.

As a younger man, I used to get really upset when highway traffic came to a sudden stop. Until I found out it was a fatal accident or something. That'll take the wind out of your sails.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I can't be seen in the video but a quick walk through the paddock and you can spot the serious racers from the 'I'm here to enjoy running this old classic'. Just like with our slot cars some are on the correct size, width, tyres and others are running with much wider tyres.
Got to watch it with increasing the grip on pre-war cars too far. I have vivid memories of watching an Austin 7 Ulster, on 15" fatties (well, 135 sections, but that's fat for an A7), tripping over its outside rear in the esses at Curborough and flipping onto its driver, bouncing hard enough to then land back on its wheels. I think the driver survived, but he definitely wasn't well. I was building an A7 special at the time, and the incident definitely made me pause for thought.

Not pre-war, but there had been a fatality, about a year earlier, when a Frazer-Nash Le Mans Replica did something similar at Silverstone(?), which, ISTR, was also put down to excessively grippy tyres.

Edit: I am informed, by Trisha, that this wasn't the case. That'll teach me to rely on dimming memories of 40 year old press reports, which may well have been largely speculation in the first place.

121 - 140 of 169 Posts