SlotForum banner
141 - 160 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
It was Roger Joice and his accident had nothing to do with grip, excess or otherwise.
Fair enough. I wasn't there, and am going off near 40 year old memories of what appeared in the classic mags of the time, which, it must be admitted, is not the most reliable source material. Thanks for the correction.

·
Registered
9,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
A couple of pics below prompted by Henk's recent comment that slotting will decline if youngsters are not involved. He's right, of course. The pictures below are of children in the North of England before the War making their own entertainment.

Despite (relative) poverty they appear to be healthy and happy. Gosh, how did they manage without an iPhone apiece?
Building Window Style Black-and-white Monochrome
Footwear Shoe Shorts White Black

·
Registered
9,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
Couldn't agree more, Matthew. Saw a modern saloon in traffic yesterday. It had received boy racer treatment and had been relieved of its identification badges, script and motifs. I've still no idea what it was because, despite its sparkling paintwork, it resembled just about everything else on the roads. Ditto its driver.

·
Registered
9,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
It's not always a good idea to thrash around in old boxes to find things, because there's always a danger of finding other things that usually start fresh headaches. Whilst looking for a book earlier, I rediscovered the tinplate Sunbeam below (and other 'things'), and naturally wonder about the possibility of creating a slot drag racer.

Wheels and tyres might be a problem, but there's probably a solution somewhere (in a box).
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
9,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
Trevor

Yes. Both the International and Ulster models are by Signature. An old chum of mine owns quite a rare coupe version of the International. It got pretty close to hospitalising us with carbon monoxide poisoning a few years ago. Looks lovely.

Reality of driving and owning one? Shockingly slow heap of total disappointment with terminally huge repair bills.

141 - 160 of 169 Posts