SlotForum banner

Presto Park MMRC, UK

12K views 116 replies 22 participants last post by  Russell Sheldon 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi Everyone. For some time now I have been interested in running a two day International Vintage Meeting at Presto Park, Norfolk, here in the UK. The 'Presto Classic' race meetings have proved extremely popular and tickets sold out soon after being announced on SF.

Having seen the entries from Bordeaux it confirmed my passion for these old slot cars that I used to race at Presto Park in the 1960's.

The proposed race meeting will be both 1/32nd and 1/24th with the same criteria as the last Bordeaux meeting recently- cars that raced at Daytona 24hrs and Sebring 12 hrs up to 1970, so many of you will already have the cars and anyway they are my favourites.

Having spoken to John (VFR750) I will run it to the same format / rules as other Vintage Meetings EXCEPT there will be no engine and boot / trunk detail required, as i feel these are slot cars and not static models.

The present club room will take 24 drivers max, BUT i have options for a second pit area and side retail stalls if the meeting is supported enough to warrant this.

There are excellent B & B's and hotels within walking distance of the club room and a Saturday Evening meal can also be arranged for those wishing to attend.

Please give me your thoughts as at the moment this date is free of any other known meetings in the UK or abroad.

I have started the thread to see what interest i have from the UK and abroad.

Thanks for your attention. Mike (Presto Park)

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi Mike

It's a little close to Early Birds for my circumstances, but I would defiantly be up for this mate. Im not to sure if you were thinking of banning engine detail/boot detail? I think it could be advised to the runners and riders, that the ones who I imagine will enter, are experienced judges for the concours and are not blown away by engine detail, so maybe keep it covered up. I'm not sure what your thoughts are.

It would be great to get some of the Bordo guys interested, especially with the airport being ten minutes up the road!

See you in March mate!

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Looking forward to it Mike.

I'll be adding something to the effect of "car must be presented for concours in the condition it will be raced" to the Double Trouble rules too. For those who haven't followed the Bordeaux thread there is a move towards super detail on static kits used as bodies which isn't within the spirit of how they raced in the 60's.

Cheers

John

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
I would love to have attended this meeting, Mike rang me the other day to ask for my thoughts on staging it.
One of the things I did say was to make sure that it did not clash with other important meetings but unfortunately it clashes with the largest slotcar swapmeet in the world, Slotmania in Stuttgart, Germany so I and Derek Cooper will be there for this weekend (along with a lot of other guys from Europe and even the USA)

#9 ·
Thanks to Bill, John G, John, Clive and Peter your places are booked.

Thanks also Phil for commenting on Slot Mania. I checked the CSCRA web site together with your web site calendar but yours only went up to December 2011 and i saw as i thought my date was free as i know March can be a very busy month in the Slot Car World and subsequent weekends are getting busier by the year. Perhaps if this meeting is successful i will contact you well in advance Phil for the 2013 meeting. It would be nice to meet you and Derek.

Once i have a reasonable entry list i will post info for you all, so you know what is happening and when.

Thanks. Mike

#12 ·
Phil. I rang you twice today to see if you could suggest any alternative dates both on your land line and mobile and could get no reply. I also spoke to Derek to see if he could help re an alternative date which he could not. This date is a PROPOSED DATE to see what reaction i would get from SF members.

I HAVE NOT ignored you advice, i don't do things like that, so if you could come up with a date to assist me that you know is definitely free around that date i will test the water for the revised date. Mike

#14 ·
REVISED DATE FOR PRESTO PARK VINTAGE MEETING IN 2012.

Thanks to all those who have shown interest in this meeting. With Phil having kindly brought to my attention that 'Slot Mania' clashes with this event I have brought the meeting forward to the week end of 17th and 18th March 2012 to try and capture as many Vintage enthusiasts as possible for this event. This is now the confirmed date for the event!

Phil, John G, John, Bill, Peter and Clive you each have a pm from me. Please confirm if the new date is ok for you.

Doug (Mod) has been asked to change the dates advertised to the new dates on the initial post.

Please could the CSCRA sec' please change the date on your calendar for 2012.

Sorry to mess you all about but I want to get this right for the benefit of everybody.

Thanks.

Mike

#18 ·
Hi Mike,

For us non-natives can you also tell us where the hell Norfolk is? Not to mention Presto Park... Closest train station and/or airport, etc.?

Would be interested of course, but it's kind of close to Double Trouble for international travel...

Thanks,
Don

#19 ·
Hi Don,

Dont want to tread on Mike's toes, and Im sure he has more information and details of near hotels etc, but quickly:

Norfolk is right on the East Coast of the UK, if you were to look on the map it is on a level with Birmingham. Nearest airport is NIA (Norwich International), I'm pretty sure KLM fly to from Bordeaux, nearest train station is Norwich, which is about 10 miles or so away (off the top of my head). There are B&B's locally and a few hotels by the airport. I can always come and pick you up from your hotel and run you around if needs be.

I hope this helps

#22 ·
JP. Place booked for you.

Here are the rules for the event and other useful information:-

Cars raced at Daytona 24hrs and Sebring 12hrs upto December 31st 1970.

Saturday 17th March 2012 - will be free practise all day from 10am to 5pm.

Saturday Evening Meal - venue to be announced nearer time.

Sunday 18th March - Concours, Qualifying Heats with step up finals for both 1/32nd and 1/24th classes.

Concours d'Elegance score will constitute half the points for each cars overall position. It will be the responsibility of each driver to prove the authenticity of the cars livery, history of the cars and the characteristics of the same. A form will be issued to each entrant regarding these issues in question. Each car will be awarded points out of 20, the final scores being displayed after judging. Each car presented for Concours must be in the condition it will be raced and MUST race in the heats and finals.

In the event of a tie on collective points the concours score will be the deciding factor.

If an entrants car breaks down and is not 'fixable' then a replacement car in the Spirit of the Meeting may be used. However, dependant upon how many laps the original car completed it will be preportionate to the points awarded for it's Concours entry. (As Wellinboro DT Meeting )

Car Standards.

Cars should only be constructed from parts available BEFORE 1972. The mixing of different manufacturers components is acceptable.

All cars should be a faithful reproduction of a 1:1 car and used in the spirit of the meeting - no handling bodies and thingies please.

Wheels and tyres.

Please be aware the ONLY tyres allowed will be Ortmanns this will be the 'Control Tyre' and ORIGINAL tyres from from the pre 1972 era.
No sponge, silicone, NSR, Slot it's, MJK or other modern tyre replacements will be allowed. Other urethane tyres by various manufacturers will NOT be allowed

Please pay attention to wheel sizes and tyre widths so to portray the appearance of the real car.

Please ensure the tyres are dry when placing cars on track.

Chassis.

Repro chassis and bodies are eligible providing they are as near as possible to the original. Scratch built bodies will be welcome provided they have been constructed using pre 1972 techniques and materials. as will Betta fibre glass shells but again must reflect the spirit of the meeting. No commercially produced resin shells will be eligible. Angle winder chassis will NOT be eligible.

Motors.

If using open frame motors neo magnets are eligible. B & C can motors are NOT eligible.

At the end of it all i have organised this meeting so grown men like me can enjoy again the cars they raced as youngsters in the 1960's. Please ensure the car 'looks right' and comply with in the spirit of this meeting. That way any difficult situations can be avoided on the day and hopefully everyone will have a fantastic weekend here in Norfolk.

Accomadation / food.

Aylsham Lodge Hotel. (5 mins from club) 01263 734851 *

Old Mill House B & B (2 mins from club) 01263 732118

Black Boys Hotel (2 mins from club) 01263 732122

Premier Inn Norwich Airport (15 mins from club) 0871 5278836

Holiday Inn Norwich Airport ( Ditto ) 0800 405060

*If sufficient numbers book then a discounted rate can be arranged with the hotel.

Food.

Black Boys PH/ Hotel 01263 732122

The Greens, on main A140 Aylsham 01263 733085

Gate of India (Restaurant and takeaway) 01263 734742

All that remains is the cost. Entry Fees £8 for one class and £10 for both classes.

Thanks for your attention and hope to meet some new faces at this event. Mike

#26 ·
Hi Mike,

After my visit to Presto Park in October for the Classic Sports/GT and Classic Saloon/Touring Cars event, I'm sure that I would want to come back again - please put my name down. It will be nice to renew acquaintances and compete with some of the 'greats' of retro racing!

Are vacuum-formed bodies permitted? It's not clear to me from the rules but I did notice that of the entries at the race in Bordeaux had a vac Russkit Lola T70 body.

With kind regards,

Russell

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.