SlotForum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight saw Presto members racing on our new portable track for the second week. The track has now rubbered in well and is very smooth and flowing - a creditable build by Peter one of Presto's members. Everyone seemed to have settled down on the new track and the racing was as good as ever with this standard class. Unusually the fastest lap time was set equally by two drivers tonight. The results were as follows:-

JIM 25 PTS

ROGER 23
ALAN 21 + 1PT FASTEST LAP 5.067 SECS

ALEX 20 + 1PT EQUAL FASTEST LAP

PETER 19
ANDY 18
MIKE 17
GRANT 16

MARK 15
RICHARD 14
VIV 13
SHAUN 12
ALF 11
LAUREN 10
OLI 9
JAMES T 8
ROY 7

Next week is Round 2 of 'The Goodwood Cup' followed by Pro Saloons the week after. Mike

·
Registered
448 Posts
Well done Jim. Can anyone stop him getting all the fastest laps in the short lifespan of my track?

If I don't start winning soon I'm taking my track home!

Just out of curiosty I've done a 'quick and dirty' analysis of the best lap times in the heats to see how 'even' the lanes are. I've done the same (hope you don't mind Mike) for the old Presto track and (hope you don't mind Ken/Andy/John) the NSR track.

The sampling was 2 weeks of results from mine and Presto's (GT Pro 07/27/2011 and Britcar) track, and one week's worth (Sports GT 01/08/2011) from NSR.

My track returned

Red Lane (outer) = 22% of best lap times in heats
Yellow Lane (inner) = 31%
Green Lane (inner) = 33%
Blue Lane (outer) = 14%

Old Presto

Red Lane (outer) = 12% of best lap times in heats
Blue Lane (inner) = 65%
Green Lane (inner) = 23%
Yellow Lane (outer) = 0% !

NSR

Blue Lane (outer) = 27% of best lap times in heats
Yellow Lane (inner) = 55%
Red Lane (inner) = 18%
Green Lane (outer) = 0% !

I guess with my little (60'!) track there's less scope for 'bad' lanes and with no really tight corners on any lanes it also smooths out the results.

I suppose one conclusion to be drawn is that even if the lanes are all the same length that does not, in itself, mean that all lanes will offer the same opportunity.

Maybe Mike and Jim could cast a final look over the new track design before setting it in stone (MDF?) to try and identify any possible points on the new track design which could cause a 'bad lane'. Not sure how to identify these but hopefully their combined experience can.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
That's really interesting Peter. I was actually saying to someone at our club on Monday night how even I thought the lanes are on your track. But there's always one lane that's way slower than the rest isn't there!

Perhaps the most even-handed track I have come across so far is King's Lynn since they modified the corner at the end of their longest straight. It's pretty even in all four lanes now and it's not a figure of eight track.... One lane tho (is it blue? can't remember) bypasses a chicane to make it fair...

I have been giving some thought to making the green lane at NSR a bit quicker but nothing obvious springs to mind. At the moment with our club cars nights (we have one next Thursday the 8th Sept) we put the fastest car in green to try and bring the balance back...

·
Registered
448 Posts
Ken, I have to differ on your 'way slower' comment. I'm not suggesting that it's possible to make all lanes equal - yes, it's inevitable that the 2 inside lanes will generally be better than the 2 outside lanes - but if a small change to the initial design could mean an improvement on 0% then that has to be better for the evening's racing, if only to stop Race Control announcing the 'lucky' lane!

Also, I'm not advocating the use of 'shortcuts' to even up lanes. That shouldn't be necessary.

Even if all the lanes were equal you'd still get variation in the lane 'performance' as individual lane characteristics suit different driving styles e.g. Roger in Red Lane at Presto and Andy GH in Blue Lane at NSR.

P.S. Thanks for the positive reply. After posting my comments I was a bit concerned that it might seem like criticism of the tracks - which it wasn't.

P.P.S I know I'm no longer a regular at your track, but for what it's worth, I think Green Lane loses most time to the other lanes in the tight right and 2 tight lefts (compared to the other lanes) in the overhead section after the Race Control corner.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.