Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I an intending to run a 1/32nd Can Am race on 19th February 2012 at Presto Park. It will be fairly open as to the material type of body shells allowed but they must be true representations of the 1:1 car, the MG Vanquish shells will be eligible. Motor/ chassis orientation is free only restriction is that sponge and silicone tyres are expressly banned. Cars must have front wheels and tyres as CSCRA regs ie: NO BSCRA skinny plastic front wheels allowed. Full rules will be published if sufficient interest is shown. This will give you all a chance to build a super fast car and give me an idea of what times my new track is capable of.

It will also give me a 'shake down trial' for the new track (which should be up and running by Christmas) and it will also allow drivers visiting us in March for The Vintage International Race and October 'Classic Race' to get a feel for the new track.

Let me know what you guys think and if you would like to attend.

Thanks for your attention. I look forward to hearing from you. Mike

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I've got a couple of MG Vanquish Can Ams, but quite fancy building a Porsche 917/10 using one of the TSR Lexan body shells - would this be okay and would a metal Parma chassis be okay?
Also are Interserie paint schemes allowed?

So mark me down as coming as Can Am cars are one of my favourites.

·
David Collins
2,358 Posts
Mike, I'd be very interested in this, but it kind of depends a bit on how the rules pan out. For me, the closer to CSCRA the better, as I'm building a Ferrari 612 at the moment. But it wouldn't be very rewarding if I'm trying to run it against BSCRA flexi-chassis cars with "handling" bodies. Anyway, I've put it in my diary!

David

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Guys. I'm just testing the water re this event. What I want to do is get an idea of what the vast majority of people want car and chassis wise and then i will write the rules. This way i hope to draw in a larger entry and try to keep every body happy. I can only try! Mike

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Well done for trying Mike, I'll be happy with whatever rules you come up with - I could have the greatest slot car in the world and I still wouldn't win

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Hi Mike,

I had such a great time at the Presto Classic Event, that I would be keen to enter this event as well.

However, I would only be interested if the car specifications are in accordance with CSRA Sports Cars Class 6, for 1968-1974 Can-Am and Interserie cars:-

Motor orientation: free.
Front wheels and tyres: Minimum diameter 17mm, minimum width 6mm.
Rear wheels and tyres: Minimum diameter 19mm, maximum width 14mm.
Minimum ground clearance 1.5mm.
Maximum overall width: 68mm.

I'm fine with vacuum-formed bodies being allowed, since Betta has a huge range to choose from.

With kind regards,

Russell

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Russell. Having looked at the CSCRA regs after seeing the first few posts i think you can be assured it will be run pretty much as those regs. I would say a lot of people have already got cars so that should keep the cost down for many people. Thanks. Mike

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Hi Mike,

"No BSCRA style stainless steel flexible chassis are eligible."

Pity about this, Mike. The Can-Am series pushed the limits of engineering. Advances were made in aerodynamics, turbocharging and the use of exotic materials. That is until the rule-makers ended it all.

Personally, I don't see why anyone shouldn't be allowed to use a BSCRA type laser or EDM cut chassis, provided of course that it complies in terms of ground clearance and tyre sizes. Some people may not be capable of scratch building a chassis, but may well be able to modify and assemble a pre-cut spring steel chassis kit.

Kind regards,

Russell

·
David Collins
2,358 Posts
Mike, I want to start by saying that it's your event, and it's absolutely your right to define the technical specs for the classes in any way you see fit. But I do think the particular rule about "BSCRA-style stainless flexible chassis" is a bit of a minefield.

Do you allow, for instance, the steel Ralph Parker Can-Am sidewinder that Andy Brown-Searle sells, or the nickel-silver Penelope Pitlane sidewinder/batpan chassis, which are common in retro events. Both can be built into flexi setups. Or the Demon - it's brass, but it's a flexi, although a simple one. And the JK X32 is a stamped steel, not stainless flexi.

I think that most of us want to preserve the spirit of CSCRA retro racing - but we want to race, and will look to build as fast a car as we can. And where there are uncertainties about interpretation of the rules, then it's a recipe for unhappiness!

David

·
Jon Grainger
3,825 Posts
Entry please Mike!

If you do choose to allow the BSCRA chassis, I've got a lovely one which would fit under my Can-Am McLaren M8c, which I'm itching to give a run!

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
NEW SET OF RULES FOR THIS EVENT

Hi Everybody, several of you have contacted me outside of Slot Forum regarding the rules for this event as some of my original rules for the event are contradictory. Apologies, that is totally down to me. I have asked Doug (Moderator) to remove that post.

The event is definetely going ahead but the full rules etc i am taking advice on from people far more qualified on the subject than me. That way it eliminates any problems that could occur on the day and everyone know exactly where they are.

I am also thinking of running1970's F1 cars as another class, it seems pointless everyone travelling all the way to Norfolk for just one class of car. Again, this i am taking advice on as to the regs and exactly whar era of car would capture a larger entry from people far more knowledgable than me.

I thought it best to sort this straight away as i don't want people buying parts to build cars and then finding the goal posts have been moved.

Many thanks. Mike

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
That's fine Mike, at the moment I'm probably going to build the Can Am car out of bits I've already got and it will be a reengined Vanquish Lola.
1970s F1 - at Colchester we run this class using old Scalextric bodies and chassis with the Johnson motor, only modifications are to guide, gearing, wheels and axles.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
RULES AND INFORMATION UPDATE RE THIS EVENT.

CAN AM

Rules for this class are as used by the CSCRA Sports Cars Class 6 (Can Am 1968 to 1974 and Interserie cars.
Please refer to these regs for your builds.

Vac form SCALE bodies are allowed.
No 'handling' bodies allowed
No sponge or silicone tyres allowed.
Car must have dry tyres when placed on track
All body screws to be taped.

FORMULA 1 AND INDY CARS.

Rules for this class are as used by the CSCRA Grand Prix classes 5, 6, 7. (1966 to 1982)
Please refer to these regs for your builds.

Vac formed body shells ARE NOT allowed for this class. (rigid plastic, resin, wood or fibre glass only)
No sponge or silicone tyres allowed.
Car must have dry tyres when placed on track.
All body screws to be taped.

Two cars only per class per driver is allowed. All cars to be presented for scrutineering together.

CONCOURS ENTRIES

Cars submitted for Concours MUST participate in at least one heat per class.
Judging for Concours will be by individual voting slips and the entrant MUST NOT vote for their own car.

GENERAL INFORMATION

Each driver will compete once on each lane for designated race distance (TBA) and from then onto finals by usual 'step up' finals.

The new club room is now located at Pinewood Farm, Shortthorn Rd, Stratton Strawless, Norwich. NR10 5NT.

It is just 10 minutes away from Norwich Airport.

Accomadation

Premier Inn. Tel 01603 428648 or Holiday Inn 01603 410544. Both close to Norwich Airport.

The club will be open for practise on the preceeding day from 1.30 to 5pm.

Race Day - doors open at 9am. (Program will be displayed in club room)

Hot food and drinks will be available on race day. Tea / coffee etc also at practise session.

There is sufficient room for some trade tables in the new club room. Should anyone wish to take advantage of this please contact me in advance. A sensible donation would be appreciated for club funds re this facility.

RACE FEES

£7 for single class.

£10 for both classes.

Please make cheques payable to:- Mr M J Harvey

and post to M Harvey, Bramley Cottage, Town Corner, Hevingham, Norfolk. NR10 5LZ.

CLOSING DATE FOR ENTRIES AND LAST DAY FOR PAYMENT IS SUNDAY 29TH JANUARY 2012.

Thanks. Mike

1 - 20 of 153 Posts