SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a short report on the days event.

Despite a day fraught with computor problems through no fault of his own ,Jim Brown soldiered on to pull the event along.
The racing was teriffic and the event was suported by some of the top racers in the country Pendles Nick Hirst ,Steve Rigg ,and Niel Hirst ,Hamiltons Ross & Jim Mckie , From the south Don Stanley ,Julian Edwards & Andy Tomlin ,Mac Pinches and the guys from the midlands all turned up .
Unfortunate problems with the computor made the event drag on ,but eventualy the finals were run .First the juniors in which Luke Brandwood dominated the racing and was a well deserved winner.
Then the senior Final which **** Lord lead from start to finish Ross took second from Nick .

As for my self ,well despite setting fastest time of the day with a 6.2 I was destined for the D final as gear problems put paid to my chances athough I did change my motor and recorded a faster time in my last heat I replaced the original one for the final.

Special mention must go out to Jim and Bernie Brown for all the hard work and late nights they both put in to put the event on. Its a hard and some time thankless task orginising events .So lets give them a big round of applause and offer our sincere thanks ,because with out the efforts of these two we wouldnt have a series like the Porsche Challenge

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Yep!!

A great event. Bernie's Kitchen® was superb as usual.

My Scaley GT1 posted some respectable times so I managed to beat almost half the field - result as far as I'm concerned

Mark.

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Yes the ladies in the kitchen and tuck shop need a big round of applause for their watering and the feeding of our masses

hungry lot us sloties.
As for the racing i actually got a car into a final
All be it not MINE but one of DR STICKY'S LOVE CHILDS (sealyons came 3rd in the juniors final to luke and young mr boocock)
why can't get my car to go that fast. sorry i can get it that fast BUT come off on the corners
must be an age thing, fast at somethings and slow at others
but for once i found grip on a smooth surface
but the racer of the day
and of the future is little Nathan or was it Nathaneil Rigg (Steve Riggs youngen)
so look out you big boys nathan is a coming
i have a photo of him with the big juniors will try and post it later

DR STICKY

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
I would like to start by thanking Jim, Bernadette and the Preston members for all the hard work they put into organising and running the event. Jim deserves a medal for not 'loosing it' during a day fraught with computer problems. However, a number of issues surfaced during the event which need to be looked at before the next event on the slot-tech track. The main problem during the day was caused by the sensors in the slot not recognising when a cars guide blade had passed through, this seemed to be confined to the slot.it 'white' guides fitted to the Porsche 956's although there were other occassions when 'missed laps' were not clocked. The remedy to paint the guide with a black marker pen seemed too little too late and was obviously not a fool proof cure. Personally my own heats were disrupted by having to re run a heat which i had already run due to another drivers car not counting laps, inevitably in the re-run only 4th place was acheived. In the final itself a similar problem arose, i was lapping consistently 1/2 lap behind **** Lord and approx 15foot in front off Ross Mckie in 3rd place. These positions were maintained up to the end of the race. Unbelievably when the final positions were read out both myself & Ross were in disbelief. Ross openly admitted that he had finished in 3rd place just behind myself. I find it incredible that after a day of problems and re-runs possibly the most important race of the day was declared to stand as per the computer despite several other racers backing up both myself & Ross verifying that the computer was wrong. I now feel that the next two rounds are pointless events as the points difference will be too much to make up, however i shall be supporting the next two events by competing and hoping that i can make up the points difference.
I would like to thank Ross and all the Hamilton racers for their support and sportsmanship.
Nic.

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nick we all had problems ,me more so than any body as component failure caused me to loose a place in the A final,But thats racing.The white guide thing was I believe pointed out on the saturaday as well as early on sunday morning so I believe the users of these should have been aware and spent the nessesary time to change the guide ,and I dont think any of the re runs arising from this should have been allowed ,I also sympathise with you as a fellow Pendle member that you may have lost points in the championship , but I m sure that Jim will analyse the results and check for any discrepancys .It is unfortunate if the counter didnt register but asthere was no back up system to verify the lap count I do think Jim made the correct decission to let the result as given by the computer stand . I will raise the question of lap counting and its associated problems at the next commitee meeting

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
Graham, with all due respect, your car failed due to component failure. My problem was due to track fault which was recognised by several other racers and spectators alike. As for the white guides (which incidentally i wasn't using) the advice given was to paint the guide black or cover it with black tape, as a visiting driver you take this advice as being acurate and adequate to avoid any problems, i witnessed several drivers including Don & Julian religiously painting their guides before every race. With hind sight would it not have been more acurate to recommend that the guides were changed to a solid black guide. In future hints & tips such as these could be made know to visiting drivers well before the event to avoid such problems as these.
Nic

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Nic, what was also known was that opposite where they were sitting was a board in the shop with.. slot it guides on and deep guides at that which is why it was stupid.

Also I recall that a white guide was used at Wolves for the last round last year and the guide wasnt counting there either. However I believe they count at our place which is the latest hardware.

Inte

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
QUOTE As for the white guides (which incidentally i wasn't using)
Incidenatlly i was using a slot.it deep guide but a missed lap in the final cost me the 2nd place. I suggest that there is more of a problem than the white guides. How many races were you involved in that either had to be restarted or completely re-run?
Nic.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Shame nothing was done about the final, I left before the trophy presentation anyway, so I didn't realise that it wasn't sorted out.

Yes, I agree that you should have been second, but I thought it was because you were taken out on the second or third lap that you missed a lap. That is, when it came out and went over the counters and was marshalled on the other side. That was a race control error rather than software.

Maybe I'm wrong though.

I also agree with the problem caused by racers not switching from white guides. As soon as I was told, I fitted a deep guide and I had no problems all day. It seems that anyone who wanted to be competitive would have chosen a deep guide anyway, but after finding out in their first race that painting the guides didn't work, why didn't they change them then?

I just don't get it... oh well, their loss. Genuinely sorry about you loosing out on second in the final thought Nick. Hopefully you will be able to make up the points in the next two rounds.

Lotus

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
Nick as I said before I sympathise with what you are saying but how many re runs would satisfy every body ,it was late in the day and as an orginiser your self you know how stressfull running an event is Im not making excuses for the event as Im not a Preston member but as the only "judge of fact" for the day was the computer, I think you must let the result stand . But as I said ealier Im sure the orginisers will be able to down load and analise the results and see if there was a problem .dont get stressed wait and see , Jim is a fair guy and will check out the results.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi guys,

I haven't changed my stance from yesterday that on the track, Nick was second and i was third in the final, both of us knew exactly what positions we were in. I was awarded second by the computer, i wasnt happy about it as i believe in fair racing. Counter error caused this result.

I will not take the championship trophy this year if this result decided the outcome. (points difference between me and nick less than 2)

I have spoken to alot of people and they also feel that counter error has cost them severely in qualifying runs.
many believed that some benefited from re-runs as they also gained faster times. Drivers were again awarded places in lower finals they should not have been in, they have also been penalised points.

If the results are changed then many feel that there result should be changed too, not just mine and nick.

I have heard both sides of the story on the white guide problem. Julian and Don were told that if they coloured in or taped them then it would have been fine. Both had a right to be angered as they have travelled many a mile to support the event.
My own opinion is that drivers should have been asked to change to black guides instead of being advised quick fix solutions, an organisers fault im afraid.

I think a discussion should take place to find a solution to this entire problem. all welcome and not just the slot tech committee.

I wont be able to reply just now as we are running our normal club night today instead of yesterday. will be back at 10.20pm

Cheers

Ross

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
Im sure and i hope that all this mess will be sorted out so that all the competitors in this event, that make the time an effort to support and take part in the porsche challenge can just get on with it and have fun instead of arguing over things that should be sorted out straight away in order to solve an stop problems like this occuring again. We should all be pulling together to try and make the events more and more competitive but at the same time apppealing to new racers with a friendly atmosphere, by helping visiting drivers from visiting clubs who travel from miles around aware of nessasary changes needed to the cars in order to stop such things happening again. I would just like to thank the people who have supported my views. with thanks nic

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hi All,
thanks to everyone who supported the event. the main problem with the slot-tech raceway is not the computer, but the lap counter sensors that are set into the track surface. there was a similar problem last year with cars jumping the counters off the start line. this was moved back 3ft and as far as everyone was concerned this had cured the problem. it would appear from andy tomlins account of the senior 'A' final that nicks car had missed a lap due to a de-slot before the counters and the marshal replacing the car after the counters. this could have been corrected at race control at the time of the incident, but i was not made aware at the time. i do not use this as an excuse and take full responsability for any problems encountered by the racers. as nick pointed out the main attraction of these events is the enjoyment of taking part. ross has also shown great sportsmanship and is clearly unhappy with the decision made by race control to stick with the computer result. i will shortly be sending out e-mails to all the committee members for suggestions and comments on this matter, and a decision will be made during the summer before the next round of the event in september.
bye for now,
jim

·
mac pinches
2,154 Posts
well i think this one will keep us chatting for a few weeks!!! we discuss ****,s nick,s and ross,s outcome, but lets not forget there was 50 odd other people who went away from the meeting haveing laid out a lot of time money and effort not knowing if they saw there true position posted. the one that stood out for me was andy green,the first runs{in alphabetical order} he posted 4 wins and only deslotted twice, only to have the results scrubbed, not a happy bunny!!! as nick said there was more problems than just "white guides" im not having a pop at jim, i dout if i could have kept as calm under those conditions ,but i do think the whole computing and lap scoring system needs to be looked at, we can not have a situation where we have to build a special car to run on a specific track. i feel i must take issue with graham comments, "its unfortunate that the that they dont work" when you have traveled from london or scotland to compeat only to be told you are "unfortunate" dont wash in my book. then in the final {a race to the flag, not a heat} **** wins, nick second, ross third, but the computer says ross is second , graham says the computer results should stand!!!! whats that all about . for myself, its the only time in two and a half years i have beaten ross in two heats, then had two more heat wins with 6.5 6.6 lap times a 4th place after chasing nick, **** and either julian or graham in a super fast heat, only to be told i was 12th! i think many people have many questions that will not be addressed, so let the final three sort it out, as they know where they finished, then let us move on to happier times. mac p

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
QUOTE graham says the computer results should stand!!!!

Not my final desision mac as I was not on the orginising team for the day , merely a competitor like the rest of you , all I did was voice my my opinion like every one else. while I aggree the problems were many and need sorting before the next event , there was no back up system to confirm positions or an apointed judge of fact for the day so the final desision must ulimatly rest with the race controller , who has not yet released or confirmed the results .I have not protested the fact that the award for ftd was given to the wrong person and will not despite my time of 6.2 being posted prior to my motor change(which incidently was an interim fix while the original setup was repaired and put back in the car for my final)

·
Registered
752 Posts
Leaving contentious issues 'slightly' behind a moment...

The Preston Slot-Tech round of the Porsche challenge was a pretty impressive advert for the slot.it 956c

At last summat to break the stranglehold of the FLY Racer GT1-98s

-Rob (Who ran his Kenwood 956c to a provisional 8th....)

ps o/a winner **** ran a 956 too, in a self sponsored 'Dragon Gas' livery

1 - 20 of 21 Posts