Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, it is an old chestnut but my post was triggered by a Toymaster Summer Fun 2004 cataloguette discovered on the doormat.

I see some very presentable looking 1/32 Radio Control models of a 'Ford GT' and Aston Martin Vanquish. Cost, £14.99 INC the radio control gear!
Similarly VERY nice looking 1/16 AM Vanquish and Citroen Xsara at £19.99 inc the radio gear.

It does make one wonder about the price of slot cars, some makes rather more than others!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Production numbers, the finish, the detail and artwork, and the quality of the running gear and packaging are all factors to take into account.

Remember that there are slot cars that have a RRP starting from £15 in the UK.

And do those RC cars have the same toughened body structure and running gear and the same 60 or more odd parts that go into making up the detail on a slot car, all assembled by hand?

Could they handle the many hours of abuse on a slot car circuit?

And we are not talking small bits that fall off but major failures in actual hard racing. When you think that slot cars complete 1000's of laps in 24 hour race events then you do wonder.

It is a fine line between a toy product and a product for adults which by coincidence can also be sold as a toy.

Ultimately you get what you pay for. However I do understand where Tropi is coming from.

Didn't Auto-Art have a range of 1:32 RC cars at the London Toy Fair which were based on their slot cars? No internal detail as no room for it.

Moped

·
Registered
714 Posts
Many a slot car can't handle all that Moped suggests!
Unless into collecting, who NEEDS delicate fine detail and "60 or or more odd parts" that weigh the car down and fall off at the first opportunity and which are suggested as adding value?
To which I would add that slot cars costing more than £50 tend to have exactly the same running gear as those costing half that or less.
"You get what you pay for" is, effectively, meaningless in this context.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
But what do you want? A £10 car that is the fastest thing you own, or a £35 car that looks a bit nicer, but is a bit slower. Hmm...

Actually, that would be a good poll...

Lotus

·
Gary Skipp
6,476 Posts
I think fly prices are extortionate, especially since similar performing cars are much cheaper.

I remember scalextric cars being £25 when I was a wee lad, so they haven't changed much, justv a couple of quid.

·
Registered
300 Posts
The fastest car I do own cost me £10 !
Scalextric Porsche GT1 from the club , with a nice slot it progessive magnet
some silicon tyres and a bit of love & attention it flys !. .5 sec quicker than
my F1's around sliks track.

But back to the topic , the cars are a rip off - you can 1/32 model cars (with detail as good) for under £10 yet to but a motor in them seems to add £15 at least -
why ??

Chris

·
Registered
154 Posts
i personally think topics regarding money are always going to be slightly immotive as everyone places a different value to money some regard slot cars as good value for money some dont.
Again personally i agree that some manufacturers slot cars do seem over priced yet the Scalextric Sport versions ive bought admittedly relatively recently have,to me, seemed excellent value for money bearing in mind they have been driven very hard at skirting boards and escaped vitually unscathed. Spoilers wing mirrors and aerials accepted of course.
One point i would make is that the models these days, as opposed to my youth,are considerably better detail wise and the quality of both finish and durability are imho excellent value for approx £25 for a Scalextric Sport.
All that being said some of the models now retailing at £40 ish do seem expensive!!
Theres always the old adage that we dont have to buy them i suppose but we still do so the price will remain the same.
kev an the lil one connor

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
QUOTE Unless into collecting, who NEEDS delicate fine detail and "60 or or more odd parts" weigh the car down and fall off at the first opportunity

I do, the more detail the better!

Seriously, as long as detailled cars are available for realistic sums of money for slot cars, then i'll buy them. The Racer/Beardog type cars etc (which I really like) are too much for my budget, so it would be better to buy a diecast.

Okay regarding the other point of detailled parts = extra weight, yep it does, but the detailled parts do not really add that much weight to a car?

For example, just remove a magnet out of a Scalextric Camaro. The car is very light, despite the "60 or or more odd parts"

So for me (personally) that theory goes out the window.

Ok I have read this post too late & absolutely pooped, so I better go to bed, as this thread may take a while to answer/defend.

Jamie

P.S. I hope it isn't locked when I return...

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I reckon Carrera cars are pretty good value for money. RRP of £25 and you get half of Maplins electrical spares catalogue inside the car, as well as some great detailing on the outside

Most of the manufacturers have come on leaps and bounds in the detail they now provide
but I don't like paying more than £30 for a slot car.

Mark.

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
Let me see now... I am sure it has been said before.... ah, yes!

"If you don't want to pay the price for a car, don't."

There you go.

NEXT!

·
Registered
420 Posts
QUOTE (Ecurie Ecosse @ 28 Apr 2004, 00:43)Let me see now... I am sure it has been said before.... ah, yes!

"If you don't want to pay the price for a car, don't."

There you go.

NEXT!
you forgot

'Now slowly - repeat after me...'

//peter

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
lotus03 remarked that faster off the shelf cars could be cheaper as a result of having fewer parts and less weight.

Surely the reverse is true as efforts to cut weight normally result in more expensive cars as a result of the use of more expensive components.

If you look at 1:1 cars the faster the GTI 3 door version is always without exception more expensive than the slower 5 door version, even though the 5 door possible has more parts in total!

For those who want detail purchase cars that have detail and make sure that you join a club where cars are raced that are not butchered and look like a representation of a car.

For those who don't want the detail then don't purchase slot cars that do and join a club that permits butchery to take place!

If we do have a poll lets have one on whether you like butchering your car or not, rather than one on whether you like detail or not.

I personally do not enjoy butchering my slots but feel obligated to because of certain pressures.

Moped

·
Registered
714 Posts
QUOTE If you look at 1:1 cars the faster the GTI 3 door version is always without exception more expensive than the slower 5 door version, even though the 5 door possible has more parts in total!
If one is a GTI and one is not, then the comparison is nonsense and simply not true. In other words, yet again, we have black being called white by the master of this black art.

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
QUOTE If you look at 1:1 cars the faster the GTI 3 door version is always without exception more expensive than the slower 5 door version

Simply not true.

Scott

·
Registered
420 Posts
It is interesting to see how some people put so much effort in justifying why a product has a certain price - as if cost of production (e.g. material, design, energy, taxes etc) had much to do with it...

No seriously - there are many 'values' - at the end of the day there is no simple correlation at all. First of all a price of a product does not have to be related to wether or not it is possible to actually sell the product. It is not relevant if the seller or producer does not HAVE TO sell the product. Because if the seller does not have to sell the product the price can be set totally unrelated to any production costs. So price - production etc is not a natural law. There are other forces. And this discussion can easily be developed further quite significantly. The point is - simple explanations are questionable...

//peter

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
After talking to Adrian Norman about why scalextric cars have yellow lights instead of white ones, it looks strongly as if Scalextric design their products to a price point - ie they aim for it to be on the shelves at a certain price, for them and all the middle men to get their cut, and see how much is left for manufacturing, Then they do as much as they can for a given model. Presumably market research and sales targets have dictated their chosen rrp.

So Scalextric (and probably also SCX, Carrera and Ninco) have come up with what they think is a reasonable price for a slot car, and compete with each other by way of how much they can put into the similarly priced cars.

I am very impressed that scalextric have decided to bring out the £15 and £20 cars, especially since the models in these brackets are still very nice and very fast. Its not as if we would have known any better if they had hit the shelves at the normal price, or if they had chosen £20 and £23 instead.

·
Registered
420 Posts

I am very impressed with Artin 1/32 slotcars.
1. full interior.
2. no rubbing.
3. runs straight out of the box without issues.
4. lights.
5. no problems with taking them apart.
6. reliable components.
7. price - approx FOUR pounds in Sweden.

//peter

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well... as a new buyer I have to say I was initially quite surprised at the cost of the cars. I'm not sure what my expectation was exactly but somehow I hadn't factored in the "anti-mrs" factor of getting into slot racing.

At this stage, I just want a decent amount of track , which I have at a good price thanks to Mr Argos
but I'd like a few cars for a bit of variety.

I just paid £25 for a new car and it is rubbish out of the box and the lights on it don't shine (!), as most of you will know from my thread, so that £25 was not good value imho.

If I'm going to pay £25, when I get the car on the track I expect it to be The Don

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Well I always thought that a "GTI" or "Turbo" badge on the back of a 3 door hot hatch meant paying more than for a hatch of the same type in 5 door family trim. Maybe I am wrong.

Back to the subject of cost of slot cars and some of the best value cars around have to be the Indy cars from Scalextric at under £20. They have sold an awful lot of these. Again it seems to be a car for the home racer although there do appear to be clubs in the USA who do race lots and lots of these.

Strange that such a low cost car with loads of different liveries has not been taken on board in large numbers by the club community in the UK.

Nobody has mentioned licence fees yet?

Moped

1 - 20 of 39 Posts