SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Tom Brown (Scorpus Flex)
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cant help feeling that the printed issue cost is a bit excessive.

Subtotal: £4.63
Postage and Packing: £2.99
Total £7.62

for 24 pages thats 30p a page. I have read previously that you make no profit on this. Surely there are other publishers who could do it for cheaper? At the moment the price is really putting me off.

·
Marc Abbott
1,914 Posts
We are still looking into other methods of production, and have received quotes that prohibit us from doing anything else at present. A lot of printers are happy to talk... until they see the graphics involved and the ink coverage - which either puts them off or shoots the price tag up.

I am having negotiations with one printer at the moment, but there are a few issues to sort out.
It will mean a slight reduction in the quality of the mag (one being a non laminated cover).

The main problem is that in order to get the unit price down, we would need to print a good run and take a risk that we might actually not sell them all. Personally, I haven't got the funds to risk this and I don't believe many people would either.

I have mentioned before that LULU does often put up money-off vouchers on their site. The best one recently was free P&P. You've also just missed one that offered 33 per cent reduction.

Also, you have the option to purchase the pdf for the minimal price of £1.25. At the moment this simply covers costs for us.

The actual physical hard copy itself is very high quality for a digital print and even we have to buy a copy to see what it looks like.

kind regards

Marc

·
Tom Brown (Scorpus Flex)
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand everything you are saying.

How many units would be needed to be printed to cover a reduced cost? Im sure if you could get someone like pendle or top slots to stock the mag many people would add it to their orders for cars and spares. I know ive bought a couple of small independant hobby magazines before that have been stocked by large popular sellers. They generally have a limited print run, about 250-500, and once they are gone they are gone, but otherwise stay in stock. Most sell out within a few months.

Of course i will probably buy the pdf version but i am one of those people who prefer real paper. I have a massive collection of books and never intend to own anything like an ipad or a kindle. I think a large proportion of people feel like that and if you could get a reasonably priced printed copy your magazine would be very popular.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Hi,

I would be happy to pay a reasonable price for a printed version so i can read it at my leisure when I want and keep it for reference.

Thanks

Matthew

·
Tom Brown (Scorpus Flex)
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I should add that I did opt to buy the printed version of the mag. I got it a few days ago , very quick delivery, and read it today. It was very good, most articles were of a very high standard with only 1 or 2 reading a bit amateurish, although only a bit. What I did realise is that it is great to have the pictures in the flesh, seeing them online really isnt the same.

I think the cost may be high because what you have printed is essentially not a magazine, but the same kind of book as begginers music books etc. Same size, paper quality and cover material, except this will be more because music books ont need a full colour interior. Currently I intend to purchase the next issue even if it is still the same price and will do thereafter as long as the articles remain the same high standard.

If I could get a subscription I would.

Thanks for producing this and taking the gamble

Tom

·
Marc Abbott
1,914 Posts
Thanks guys

Issue 2 will be available this weekend.

I (or sunsetman) will let you know when it goes "live'

Would you believe that issue 3's artwork is about a third done and already dubbed the retro issue

Marc

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
I've got to admit, I've been wondering what numbers would be required to get the price down, even through LuLu, or more to the point enable more content without an increased price. But then, I suppose distribution also becomes an issue.

I'll be continuing to order the hard copy because it looks so darned good. Top drawer, lads. Congratulations once again.

Embs

·
Registered
385 Posts
Thank you all for the kind comments we are endeavoring to find a way to get the printed version down in price although its a twofold problem in regard to if we get it printed in this country distribution cost around the world may make it a less than viable option but we will keep trying.

Thanks

Slot car mag team.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I decided that I should purchase both the PDF and hard copy of Issue 2.

The latter was just delivered to my door. I had no idea you were publishing these magazines as Collectors' Editions.

Wow do those cars look good on the printed page; Ember's scenery is just spectacular.

Now I need to head to the store and buy some white linen gloves--I don't want my prints marring this issue.

Keep up the great work.

cheers

Mark

·
Marc Abbott
1,914 Posts
Thank you Mark

Always makes us feel good to know that we have pleased people... which is our main aim!

Obviously, your praise must also go to the contributors who get little mention much of the time.

ABBO

·
6,455 Posts
Thanks for the praise, Mark. Seeing the track on the printed page has definitely boosted the enthusiasm to get it finished (if a scenic track is ever really finished). And the desire to start a new one, without all the mistakes I made in this one.

I've been rather enjoying the Greymalkin series. Hopefully, by the time his run through is finished I can do a better job of my next repaint.

And I had a bit of a chuckle at Dilworth. Certainly easier to read that one in print than on the screen.

Cheers
Embs

·
Registered
21 Posts
This mag sounds great and the price isn't that bad!
The only way to get the cost down is for more people to purchase so I for one will do so.
How / where do I order it from

Mark

·
6,455 Posts
www.lulu.com or www.lulu.co.uk . Search for Slot Car Mag. It's printed at a 'local' printer and shipped to you.

Mine was printed in Melbourne, being their closest printer to me. If the delivery address is in the US they use a North American printer.

Hope you enjoy it when you hold it in your hands. It does add to the impact.

Embs

·
Marc Abbott
1,914 Posts
Ember beat me to it - yep a search for SlotCarMAG on lulu.com will bring you to the issues.

The pdf is available from www.slotcarmag.co.uk

thanks for the kind comments

Marc

·
Rob
528 Posts
Hello, Our B2B magazines are printed on:

170gsm for the cover section and 90gsm for the internal pages. On a run of 1500 copies it costs about £1600. (34 page mag).

On another mag we print 3400 copies and that costs £2500 (56 page mag roughly).

These are perfect bound. These costs include the paper.

Maybe you should lower the paper type. Obviously the more you print the cheaper it gets. (setup time etc)

I personally would not UV Varnish / Laminate the cover section. Not until your doing big big runs.

If you would like a copy to see the quality I am happy to send you one for free.

Rob

·
Ric Woods
817 Posts
Thanks for the info, Golders. Unfortunately we aren't quite up to those numbers yet, but should we ever get to that point it's a useful set of figures to have.

Cheers

Mooster

1 - 20 of 43 Posts