SlotForum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like many clubs we use Scalex Manager. I have an Old Epson FX1170 and an Epson Sylus 750 But can't get either to work. Scalex Manager runs in DOS. Can anyone advise please?

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
I think you have to get your club computer online and then load an emulator for the printers you said about, I am sure that there will be people far better than me who will be able to point you at these and help you with loading them.

Zen

Err numptey with some info you know what they say about a little knowledge is a dangerous thing

·
Circuit Owner
5,924 Posts
Wow, DOS.

I recall back in the 80's, that you had to install a printer into each software package - so if you ran 3 packages you had to install the printer into each of them (windows simplified things by acting as an intermediary between software packages and devices meaning you only had to install each device once).

So you will need to find DOS drivers for each printer and find out how to install the printer to Scalex Manager. The FX1170 is a dot matrix printer if my memory serves me right so DOS drivers should be available for that. Not so sure about the Stylus 750.

I can't remember if you install the printer from within the package or install it into the package from DOS - twenty-odd years has dimmed my memory I'm afraid. If you don't have a Scalex manager manual to consult you may have to search online or make an appeal in SlotForum.

·
Mark R-E
2,471 Posts
QUOTE (Mr Modifier @ 11 Nov 2011, 02:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>windows simplified things

that is a good joke!

now...

Is the scalex mgr running in a shell within windows or on an old dos pc?

I'd hazard a guess that you need to direct the print spool to where you have the cable plugged in.

The MODE command was used for this. Type:

mode /?

At the command prompt for the syntax

·
Registered
161 Posts
Can you print to the printer from the pc in dos mode or windows ?

You have to walk before you can run!

You have not stated whether the printer works with the computer!

You have to know the printer works first and then try the scalex manager! what are your parallel port hex address settings? is there a conflict?

·
Circuit Owner
5,924 Posts
QUOTE (Mr Croker @ 12 Nov 2011, 00:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
that is a good joke!

You obviously never had to install printers into 4 different software packages across 500+ PC's.

Also you never had to sort out IRQ conflicts due to physical location on the system bus because the 8086/8086 processors assigned IRQ location in order of hardware encountered across said bus.

When Novell Networks arrive (pre-windows) then the bar was raised in complexity way up there to a point it was competing with the British tax system.

Believe me - when Windows first appeared plug'n'play saved me hours and hours.

I actually gave up working in IT because windows made it too easy. I started working with people instead - far more complex and ultimately far more satisfying when you get it right.

Try it - you might like it

Sorry - couldn't resist - been watching re-runs of "The Big Bang Theory" - it's obviously affecting me!

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Having a good laugh with both Mr Crocker and Mr Modifier.

Of course the british actually had the solution to this problem 20 years ago . . . but the installed user bases of the 2 biggies meant it would never fly.

But the Arm chip in a humble Acorn Archimedes, and a chip based hardeware system, running at a pedestrian 40 MHz could blow the socks off anything the two american frutties were doing with Intel chips for the public at the time - and it didn't go mental on you, it didn't steadily eat system resources, and it didn't have all these other issues that oft-times drive us crazy.

Sadly, the little company went broke while they played with race cars, Olivetti did a bit, but it sank without trace except for Arm Ltd and the chips that powered half our electronic gadgets for a generation......

So now I have 8 processors running in tandem at 2.6 GHz, running like a snail half the time despite my best attempts to keep it up to speed for 2 years usable life....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To answer Mustang, yes the printer works.
I only have one parallel port but i have a switchable box so can input either race sensors or printer.
I had an Epson Photo 750 Stylus that worked fine but stupidly removed it because i have an Epson FX1170 dot matrix which i thought would be better. When the printer cable is attched and the laptop restarts in DOS (for Scalex Manager) the printer turns off. It doesn't do this on another laptop ???
The laptop runs Scalex Manager ok.
I can't remember how i got the 750 to work but i did and i didn't use am emulator.
Sensible answers would be appreciated, not the non-sensible
**it that has been posted. A potted history of a computer genius doesn't really help much.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts