SlotForum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Pro-X controller plug looks very similar to a US phone-type plug, except that the locking tab is offset. Is this a standard european plug or is this something carrera cooked up that looks almost identical to a US phone jack?

I think I could cut off the click tab and use US phone equipment, but i'd need to glue/tape the plugs in place. Any help appreciated on identifying this plug.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Does anyone know what this is?

Or can someone living in Europe confirm that this plug is unique to carrera.

Thank You

·
Julius Wilkko
935 Posts
Hi!

Its not a standard plug.
My guess is that Carrera has installed a special connector for PRO-X controller to protect their system.

Julius

·
Julius Wilkko
935 Posts
.... and here is the picture.

Left, Carrera non-standard, Right standard telephone connector. Dimensions are the same, just locking moved to side at Carrera. Disappointing.

Julius

·
Registered
522 Posts
Thanks, I thought this might be a euro-spec telephone plug, but you have the same kind. I will need to cut off the locking tab or hand wire. Yes, its disappointing. Would be great to have phone jacks instaled trackside.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
how odd! I guess they are one of those 'security connectors' that companies can use to discourage employees from bringing in laptops and connecting to the office network

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Standard phone equipement would be very elegant. I wanted to have phone jacks spaced evenly around my track. Now I may need to hack up the base unit to do this. . .

·
Julius Wilkko
935 Posts
Possible reasons for using a special connector could be electrical protection and protection from american legal system. If Carrera had a standard connector a stupid consumer could plug the Carrera track to telephone network thus overheating the control unit and incinerating his house. Lawyers would then jump in and say that its Carreras fault as the system has a connector that enables it to be connected to a standard telephone socket.

Just a thought

Julius

·
Registered
511 Posts
Looking on the bright side, it seems better than SSD's tiny jack plug, one of which I have already destroyed in a me-cable-dog tangle.

·
Soren Winkler Rasmussen
355 Posts
QUOTE (SinclairZX81 @ 5 Dec 2004, 20:09)Looking on the bright side, it seems better than SSD's tiny jack plug, one of which I have already destroyed in a me-cable-dog tangle.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>Point taken ... but at least you'll be able to replace it easily

... "Always look at the bright side of life, di-dum di-dum-di-dum-di-dum"

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I thing I will rewire the controllers with standard phone plugs and use the odd shaped plugs to run cables from the power base to phone jacks around the table.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi,

If you look closely to a Sony low end home theatre, you will see that the satellite speakers on this cheap surround sound system have basically the same plug !!!

but why bother..I think Carrera is coming up with extension cords

Cheers

Jean

1 - 14 of 14 Posts