SlotForum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm actually new to the hobby (outside my experiences as kid with H.O.) and to the this forum and I'm now in the digital frontier.

For Christmas, Santa bought for my kid a Pro-X set and my family wound up completely enthralled with it - so much so that we are already thinking about expanding it so I was wondering what would be the best strategy for expansion.

Should I buy another Pro-X set or collect addition LCs, cars, controllers, etc.? Purchasing 2 extra cars, controllers, and LCs would be roughly $180, so this starts to approach the cost of just getting a new new set, and I'd wind up with additional track, power supply (is it possible leverage both on the same track?), and black box (I take it this would be redundant ). However, the extra track would consist of more straights and 2 more 2/30 degree banks, which may limit layout possibilities and I'd also have identical car models (perhaps the bodies can be switched out or just apply extra stickers/strips to differentiate the cars).

Thanks,

sl

·
Registered
522 Posts
Welcome to the hobby!

Regarding upgrade paths, there is a seller on ebay who breaks the basic set into parts and sells them individually. He will sell all the digital bits minus cars and track, which includes switches, extra black box, extra controls, and extra power pack. I got this set for ~$80 which is a **bargain**. You can get additional cars for $35 from cincyslots.com

When you add the 3rd and fourth car, you may want to splice the power packs in parallel to gain more current. I know the stock supply works well for two cars, but I havent tried it with more and expect it will strain under four cars. Or you could upgrade to a variable voltage aftermarket supply. The point is that with four cars running you will need some more power for most satisfying acceleration. I am using a Professor Motor 6-18V, 30Amp supply. This works great but will "void your warranty".

Download the free track design software from carreras website. The layouts are only limited by your imagination. Buy track accordingly. I have found that ideally you would like to have a LC about once every 10 feet.

Also, you will need to learn what a "power tap" is. You can buy wire and make these yourself. Basically it ensures equal power at all points on the track. Search the track forum for directions I posted.

Here is a picture of my track:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts